Six Members Suspended for 30-Days, Eight Others Given Additional Warnings

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Six Members Suspended for 30-Days, Eight Others Given Additional Warnings

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2003, 3:49 am

Programs: BD / BA / AF
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jefro:
If you wanted a gentile, soft spoken group YOU came to the wrong arena to make your money!

Lighten UP and RESTORE immediately (if they want to come back) the persons banned.
This board is the less for the loss!
</font>
jefro, Randy has posted repeatedly that Flyertalk is not a money-making venture. In fact, it isn't even a cash-neutral business. Randy has chosen to spend significant amounts of his budget to operate Flyertalk. While some is off-set by the cost of advertising, the rest comes out of his pocket. Before criticising him for the way this board is run, remember who pays for it. That gives Randy certain rights to run the board as he sees fit, regardless of what anyone else thinks.

Internet bulletin boards that are left to run amok very quickly turn into empty bulletin boards. Constant infighting and bickering attracts more flaming, and those with any real contributions to make end up leaving the board.

While I don't believe that everyone who was banned or warned shared equal amounts of blame, the purpose of the time-out was to give everyone a chance to cool down. This BBS has been liken to a dinner party, and I've had dinner parties where two of my friends (both with great merit of their own) got into overly heated conversation. I asked them both to step outside, take a walk around the block, cool off and then come back. Sure enough, when they came back to the party, they had cooled down enough that they could enjoy the rest of the evening with relative civility. I think that's what's happening here.

Flyertalk has been around a while now, and most members here regard it very highly. Certainly that reflects on the way Randy runs his board. There are one or two policies here that I don't agree with, but it's Randy's playground.

My friend has ugly curtains, but I'll still accept his dinner invitations.

Enjoy the evening. Ignore the curtains.
Old Sep 27, 2003, 6:58 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jefro:
If you wanted a gentile, soft spoken group</font>
That'd be the Trappist Monks, wouldn't it?

(sorry, couldnt resist)
Old Sep 27, 2003, 7:44 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
IJAFIBB. I've seen plenty of soap operas lately and, frankly, the ones put on by the pros are simply more enjoyable.

Now, can we please get back to what FT is supposed to be about? Is anyone interested in a happy hour in San Francisco this coming thursday?
Old Sep 27, 2003, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think we'd be a lot happier if we could just stick to a couple basic principles -

(1) Don't post about other people
(2) Don't bait
(3) Don't come to FT specifically looking to attack someone

On (3) - It seems there are a few members who simply seem to peruse the topics just waiting for someone to say something "stupid" so that they can zip in with a "great" one-liner. I see this way too often, and it's not a polite way to start out or continue the discussion of a topic. Simply put, if you are going to post something just for the purpose of antagonizing someone, don't.

d
Old Sep 27, 2003, 8:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Doppy:
I think we'd be a lot happier if we could just stick to a couple basic principles -

(1) Don't post about other people
(2) Don't bait
(3) Don't come to FT specifically looking to attack someone

On (3) - It seems there are a few members who simply seem to peruse the topics just waiting for someone to say something "stupid" so that they can zip in with a "great" one-liner. I see this way too often, and it's not a polite way to start out or continue the discussion of a topic. Simply put, if you are going to post something just for the purpose of antagonizing someone, don't.

d
</font>
Bingo! Doppy is spot on here, as is punki and oz.
Old Sep 27, 2003, 8:58 am

By the way, doppy, I believe in techland, that's referred to as a "hit-and-run poster".
Old Sep 27, 2003, 8:58 am
Suspended

As a very long time lurker on Flyer Talk(almost never poster except for Hawaii vacation advice we needed a while ago), I must say I am amazed and I am urged to make a comment.
Look at what has happened here.

Continental pulls this anti customer move in the shadows of a big nothing press announcement, most of you folks are outraged, but some of the most vocal posters lead a charge against CO – as they always seemed to do. And as this time they are right, everyone follows their lead. You get press coverage, begin a movement, actually get CO to make a change (small as it is) and momentum is building.

Then, a very infrequent poster becomes uncharacteristically vulgar, almost to the point of stalking one of these long-time members. This guy seems to be (or at least acts like) a lunatic. Some of the long time members take him on – not letting him dilute the message. Some of the long time Continental supporters urge him on, hoping for a fight. When the words have become hot enough, this infrequent poster, now in an amazingly transformed calm mode, posts in another forum long, detailed allegations against these leaders. As fast as you can say “take one for the company” the lunatic and the leaders are banned.

Now, when a customer comes here to complain about Continental’s changes, he is not greeted with support and encouragement from the movement to make them change, but rather a bunch of the airline’s fans saying he’s crazy and it's a great airline.

I hope the owner of Flyertalk realizes the fraud that has been perpetrated on him, and the resulting pro-company bias he has now created here.

If you worked for Continental’s PR department, I’d bet you’d be really happy today…and for the 30 days that the loudest voices have been quieted. Almost like they got their wish.

It’s a real shame.
(posted by Joe from NJ)

I think this poster on the CO Board says it all!!!!!
I think hit the nail on the head --- it was getting a little heated --- and Randy has a partial side toward the airline(s) --- advertising dollars.
Look what happened last year with the "thrown out" Freddie votes ---impartial?
I think not!!!!
Old Sep 27, 2003, 9:42 am
Community Director Emerita

I think this poster on the CO Board says it all!!!!!
I think hit the nail on the head --- it was getting a little heated --- and Randy has a partial side toward the airline(s) --- advertising dollars.
Look what happened last year with the "thrown out" Freddie votes ---impartial?
I think not!!!!</font>
This is an appalling accusation and completely without merit. It offends me deeply on Randy's behalf.

[This message has been edited by SanDiego1K (edited 09-27-2003).]
Old Sep 27, 2003, 9:50 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa exp - spg gold - Hyatt Diamond - HH Gold
Even though great suggestions are posted in this thread about what to do and not to do for the betterment of all.

When I read one of these threads in its entirety all that ever comes to mind is the saying "like moths to a flame."

[This message has been edited by magic111 (edited 09-27-2003).]
Old Sep 27, 2003, 10:30 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Hertz 5 star, Priceline Hotel bidder. AA PLT, 1MM.
Randy made a decision & we all need to move on to finding great deals on travels, etc. I am in Key West having a great time. Thanks to a posting on FT, I paid $102 for LAX-FLL & getting miles to requalify for UA 1K.

Bottom line: We all need to move on & let flyertalk be a place where we all can post & find great deals on travel & related stuff. I respect Randy's decisions & time to move on!
Old Sep 27, 2003, 6:22 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Ditto on that - now relax and I hope you all have more than FT in your life, I need to concentrate on bigger problems in my life on how SC is going to come back in the 2nd half at Cal this afternoon and it doesn't look good

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by kokonutz:
IJAFIBB</font>

[This message has been edited by TrojanHorse (edited 09-27-2003).]
Old Sep 27, 2003, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
If the folks who were banned were as interested in sharing travel info as they were in stirring up a flame war then they would still be posting today. This is Randy's playground and we all have to play nicely and by his rules.

Regarding the posting on the CO forum alluded to above, that posting was 100% rubbish.

[Edited to add that the post I think is rubbish is the one claiming Randy is in bed with CO to squash any negative posts re: CO.]

[This message has been edited by xyzzy (edited 09-28-2003).]
Old Sep 27, 2003, 10:18 pm

Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
Back to Pre-School!!!!!!!!
Randy the baby sitter --- give us a break!
Some of our "best" comments come from
JON -- informative and intelligent.
NJDavid -- shares with us his contempt for what was a good airline
</font>
Some people just don't want this to turn into a schoolyard brawl. Before you start calling the person that provides this service, free of charge, a baby sitter, perhaps you should consider starting your own forum where verbal brawling is allowed.

------------------
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety
deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Ben Franklin
Old Sep 27, 2003, 11:45 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I've stayed out of this thread for a long time simply because I was stunned that it went on for a long time - and quite frankly, the fact that it did (& was allowed to) is a testament to Randy. He was announcing a decision - not open for negotiation - the fact that he allowed us all to continue commenting on his decision - and in some cases do the flaming he was trying to avoid to me says he's a good guy (in addition to pointing out, as others have - it's his sandbox - he gets to do what he wants - you don't like it - take a hike!).

I haven't seen the 'horrible' threads in question - and quite frankly I don't want to see them - I wasn't involved & it's not my concern (nor is it the concern of most of the people who are posting on this thread)!!

Speaking from my limited 8 months experience, when I signed up (yes, I signed up last August, promptly forgot about the site due to bizness until Jan & then have been actively involved), I was stunned - appalled - upset - over a lot of the personal attacks that were made by members to each other - to the point that I emailed my concern to those in charge & posted it on certain threads, and in certain threads have tried to get things back on track.

I was especially stunned at the beginning because I knew most people posting were business professionals - and quite frankly, if this is how they did business, I thanked every holy relic that I didn't have that I wasn't doing business w/ them. I was upset enough that I almost considered leaving within a few weeks of "joining" Flyertalk.

THERE IS NO EXCUSE OR JUSTIFICATION FOR PERSONAL ATTACKS ON THIS FORUM - LET ME REPEAT THAT - AND YES I REALIZE I'M TYPING IN CAPS - I FEEL STRONGLY ABOUT THIS!!! (i don't know how to underline & cap the 'there is no excuse or justification for personal attacks on this forum, but that's what i mean).

But I also found so many nuggets of information - from all posters (including some that were banned) that I stuck w/ the site, and felt obligated in return for the wisdom that I gained, to try & give back via my postings.

Unfortunately there have been some on this thread that want to continue the flaming problem, but there have been a lot that have given great advice (put it in perspective, don't attack others, let it go, be a guest in other's house etc, etc, etc). Go w/ the good; not w/ the bad!!!

Folks. LIFE IS TOO SHORT - THERE ARE THINGS LIKE WAR, FAMILY MEMBERS OR FRIENDS THAT HAVE CANCER, PEOPLE WHO HAVE LOST JOBS - CONCENTRATE ON THE IMPORTANT THINGS - LET THE OTHER STUFF GO (yes, those caps again).
This has nothing to do w/ the recent threads; I haven't seen them - and again repeat - don't care.

Let's put things back into perspective.

BTW - you can flame me on this response - I really don't care - I'll be on the other forums trying to figure out how to mamiximize my points on hotels or airlines or finding info - I'm just thankful - good or bad - that I discovered FT - and I truly thank Randy - and all of you. And I meant that last sentence in caps!!! You all rock!

edited: above where i say no excuse for personal attacks on this forum, change that to ANY forum!!!

------------------
Sharon

[This message has been edited by SkiAdcock (edited 09-28-2003).]
Old Sep 28, 2003, 3:02 pm

Programs: BD / BA / AF
I hope the owner of Flyertalk realizes the fraud that has been perpetrated on him, and the resulting pro-company bias he has now created here.</font>
I knew it. Randy has sold out to "the man".

jefro, I've said it once and I'll say it again.

Before you piss in the sandbox, remember whose sandbox it is.

(Edited to correct schoolboy grammar mistake and to add a smiley. I don't really think that Randy has sold out to "the man")

[This message has been edited by MatthewClement (edited 09-30-2003).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.