Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Six Members Suspended for 30-Days, Eight Others Given Additional Warnings

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2003, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by OttoGraham:
Did you notice how relatively peaceful and contention-free the entire board was during his enforced absence? I did. Cause and effect, I think. </font>
Which is why, as I noted in the CO forum, I would like to see Randy and the Moderators extend their "non-acceptable actions" policy to include "professional" sniping, as well.

For those who may not have seen it, this is defined as picking fights by disparaging airlines and service for no other reason then trying to goad people into replying with personal sniping.
Old Oct 21, 2003, 1:09 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, DL Silver, TSA Harassee
If "Professional Sniping" is going to be against the TOS, then "Profesional Stalking" should be too.

Way back when, a loooong time ago, there was a different FT'er who posted second hand knowledge as their own. Often times, this second hand knowledge was incorrect.

When some of us tried to refute these claims, we were told: "If posts by ****** bother you, then ignore them".

Why is this case any different?
Old Oct 21, 2003, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by CameraGuy:
If "Professional Sniping" is going to be against the TOS, then "Profesional Stalking" should be too.</font>
No issues with that.

If we have to become more like Singapore (laws against everything), maybe we will become more like Singapore (a place considered "clean", "friendly", and "safe").

[This message has been edited by SEA_Tigger (edited 10-21-2003).]
Old Oct 21, 2003, 1:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by SEA_Tigger:
For those who may not have seen it, this is defined as picking fights by disparaging airlines and service for no other reason then trying to goad people into replying with personal sniping.</font>
Something of this nature is happening in the JetBlue forum. I've already written to the Jetblue moderator to alert him/her of this. One of the FTers is saying that Business Week magazine recently printed that Jet Blue Airlines is a scam. This is a lie. BusinessWeek pointed out that JetBlue's FF program was not the best and frankly I don't think anybody would argue with that. But in no way, shape, or form, did any BW writer accuse the airline of perpetuating a scam. This is a lie and goes against the TOS rule of not communicating wrong falsehoods.

This was done to start a fight as this person views B6 to be a scam without backing it up. Now he/she accuses BW of agreeing with him. I guess you would call this "professional sniping".

Old Oct 22, 2003, 3:44 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Since we're back to normal now - it must be everybody else's fault.</font>
It is. I've just read every post avek00's posted since his suspension was lifted -- there's nothing, except for one marginal post, that's "bait." I think others are looking for a plot where one's nonexistant...
Old Oct 22, 2003, 12:06 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Analise:
This was done to start a fight as this person views B6 to be a scam without backing it up. Now he/she accuses BW of agreeing with him. I guess you would call this "professional sniping".
</font>
Perhaps they are short JBLU?
Old Oct 22, 2003, 12:09 pm
Suspended

Location: Promoted to Chairman of the Most Wonderful Continental Airlines Highly Valuable OnePass Program Security and Ideological Purity Bureau
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by IndustrialPatent:
It is. I've just read every post avek00's posted since his suspension was lifted -- there's nothing, except for one marginal post, that's "bait." I think others are looking for a plot where one's nonexistant... </font>
You might've noticed that it's the same five or six people that are always on my heels no matter what I post. I'm not going to deal with it, though - I will post what I think is right, and let the powers-that-be on FT deal with the stalkers...

------------------
Has YOUR airline won an award lately?
Old Oct 22, 2003, 1:55 pm

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by avek00:
I will post what I think is right, and let the powers-that-be on FT deal with the stalkers...</font>
I'm sure that many of us would like to hear you elaborate on a statement like this, and explain to the group how it is "right" :

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Well, you can take another carrier and not have to worry about being served food at all...heck, you won't have to worry about service period, as that word is not in the vocabulary of the SkyNAAzis and Prison Matrons...</font>
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum20/HTML/009328.html

I'm almost sure that there will not be a response to this, or a red herring will get thrown about, or some other attempt to not address what you wrote and explain how it is "right", but I have been wrong in the past.

------------------
Debunk the trolls--ask for facts.

[This message has been edited by ClueByFour (edited 10-22-2003).]
Old Oct 22, 2003, 2:42 pm

ClueByFour,
So he prefers CO - big deal. Would you like to see some posts in the UA, AA, etc. fourms written by the airline's respective flyers trolling on NW?

avek00 may have been a troll in the past, but no matter how he participates now, others will jump on him.
Old Oct 23, 2003, 5:35 am

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by IndustrialPatent:
avek00 may have been a troll in the past, but no matter how he participates now, others will jump on him. </font>
I have no history with this, nor do I intend to be involved, but just looking at his signature, is that not designed to provoke?
Old Oct 23, 2003, 8:31 am

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
ClueByFour,
So he prefers CO - big deal. Would you like to see some posts in the UA, AA, etc. fourms written by the airline's respective flyers trolling on NW?
</font>
Sure, but here is a fundamental difference:

If somebody says "the pitch on NW sucks" in the course of a discussion, and can bring some data to the table to support thet assertation, it's one thing.

However, if one were to troll thru every other forum (and the NW forum itself) dropping bits that compare NW's flight attendants to nazis, then it's nothing more than a troll (since you can't actually support that postulation). It's a safe assumption that such a remark is designed to irk the NW regulars, and nothing more.

Various folks do the latter regularly, and then cry wolf about personal attacks when asked for some facts, clarification, or presented with their own prior writings.

------------------
Don't feed the trolls.
Old Oct 24, 2003, 6:43 am
JRF

Programs: DL Flying Colonel
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by avek00:
You might've noticed that it's the same five or six people that are always on my heels no matter what I post. I'm not going to deal with it, though - I will post what I think is right, and let the powers-that-be on FT deal with the stalkers...

</font>
You post soley to start flame wars. The DL board has been great over the past month while you were away. You are back for one day and it is just like it was before you were suspended. Who are you kidding. You don't post to add to the conversation, you post to disrupt!

Old Oct 24, 2003, 7:20 am
Suspended

Location: Promoted to Chairman of the Most Wonderful Continental Airlines Highly Valuable OnePass Program Security and Ideological Purity Bureau
Originally posted by JRF:

You post soley to start flame wars.

Completely untrue. I have NO INTENTIONS WHATSOEVER of starting flame wars; other posters DO have that intention and use my posts as a convenient excsue for their actions.

The DL board has been great over the past month while you were away.

The board was "great" because the anti-DL folks virtually monopolized it for the entire month, successfully neutralizing any pro-DL news or commentary.

You are back for one day and it is just like it was before you were suspended. Who are you kidding. You don't post to add to the conversation, you post to disrupt!

No, I post what's on my mind, and hope that others will contribute in a MEANINGFUL discussion of the issues. The problem is that some people cannot stand to see other posters with equally strong and opposing beliefs on certain topics (such as DL), and thus prefer to mar the quality of the BBs.

------------------
Old Oct 24, 2003, 7:22 am
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ClueByFour:
Sure, but here is a fundamental difference:

If somebody says "the pitch on NW sucks" in the course of a discussion, and can bring some data to the table to support thet assertation, it's one thing.

However, if one were to troll thru every other forum (and the NW forum itself) dropping bits that compare NW's flight attendants to nazis, then it's nothing more than a troll (since you can't actually support that postulation). It's a safe assumption that such a remark is designed to irk the NW regulars, and nothing more.

Various folks do the latter regularly, and then cry wolf about personal attacks when asked for some facts, clarification, or presented with their own prior writings.

</font>
Interestingly enough CB4, the description you outlined above could apply to MULTIPLE FTers, including yourself...

------------------
Old Oct 24, 2003, 7:35 am
Suspended

Programs: I do this for a living.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JRF:
You post soley to start flame wars. The DL board has been great over the past month while you were away. You are back for one day and it is just like it was before you were suspended. Who are you kidding. You don't post to add to the conversation, you post to disrupt!

</font>
It seems avek has commendably dialed back his disruptive posts in the AA and UA boards, as far as I can tell (with an occasional slip up along the way).

Of course, I am measuring this improvement over a period of days, not weeks or months. For now, I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, though no doubt I remember the old proverb: "Trust, but verify."

Let's hope he continues his improvement and there will hopefully be no need of comments such as in this thread anymore.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.