A revenue stream for Flyer Talk

Old Aug 21, 2003, 11:38 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32

What do you think of this idea.

When one signs up for FlyerTalk s/he would receive 500 free posts.

Thereafter, each member would make a $10 donation for every additional block of 500 posts they wished to purchase.

This would allow newbies to come in and get their feet wet without charge and still provide a revenue stream to offset costs of operating this board.

Thoughts?
Old Aug 21, 2003, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
Well, doc's traffic alone would pay for an OC-192 (2Gbps/sec) line and a 32-way server.

I tend to think a board that charged would be a board that would be a lot less active. While the price you recommend is negligible (two cents a post), people expect the internet to be "free" and I think a lot would leave just on principle.

On the plus side, if we really jacked it up, it might deeply cut down on the "fluff" posts and especially the "snipe-fights" since you're paying per post.
Old Aug 21, 2003, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What about the people that offer valuable advice? I post a lot of crap in Omni but also lots of valuable information in the BA board. If someone expected me to PAY for answering other peoples questions I'd be out of here in no time...

Is this idea made to slow leisure posters or to create more revenue? Randy has already indicated there is no need for the latter and the former seems to be no more than common practice for any message board.

I host a board that has twice the traffic of FT, it's popular because it's free, the moment we charge for it people will leave and join a different board. Don't look too deeply into the loyalty people have for a board.
Old Aug 21, 2003, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
You also post a lot of valuable advice in Omni too.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ScottC:
What about the people that offer valuable advice? I post a lot of crap in Omni but also lots of valuable information in the BA board. If someone expected me to PAY for answering other peoples questions I'd be out of here in no time...

Is this idea made to slow leisure posters or to create more revenue? Randy has already indicated there is no need for the latter and the former seems to be no more than common practice for any message board.

I host a board that has twice the traffic of FT, it's popular because it's free, the moment we charge for it people will leave and join a different board. Don't look too deeply into the loyalty people have for a board.
</font>
Old Aug 21, 2003, 12:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ScottC:

</font>
I agree with ScottC 100%. I would never participate on a bulletin board which charged me.

Old Aug 21, 2003, 12:43 pm
Original Member

Location: OMNI Award Winner, Recipient: Ol' Goal Personal Sootkase Tag Award. The Very Special Punki Authentic PiP Sootkase Tag, Pin, & T-Shirt. .........PRE-
see-tiggir,

ohh-see-192 es 10 gigabits, wich es stihl knot enuff.

------------------
Loving, Caring, Honest, Intelligent, Empathetic, Creative, and Giving©.

[This message has been edited by arturo (edited 08-21-2003).]
Old Aug 21, 2003, 1:09 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
If there is no desire for additional revenue, and Randy is happy to continue to host this amazing site for us for free, it is a moot point.

If he ever did want our support, I am certain that most of us, who so very much enjoy our participation (both the giving and receiving of valuable information and friendship), would be more than happy to pitch in.

I know I would.
Old Aug 21, 2003, 1:10 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Punki:
What do you think of this idea.

When one signs up for FlyerTalk s/he would receive 500 free posts.

Thereafter, each member would make a $10 donation for every additional block of 500 posts they wished to purchase.

This would allow newbies to come in and get their feet wet without charge and still provide a revenue stream to offset costs of operating this board.

Thoughts?
</font>
I disagree.

IMO, the solution is to charge an annual fee for a premium FT membership, with no banners and towers and all that excess baggage that we all hate. That is the way to go.

As to the age old discussion of FlyerTalk not being a profit center of its own.... what I always ask myself is: if this is really the case, why bother with any ads at all...??? But then again, what do I know?
Old Aug 21, 2003, 1:12 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle

</font>
Just a minute... I would not be looking at my monitor, running my computer and playing with all my gadgets where it not for the valuable advice you post on OMNI.

PLEASE BRING OMNI BACK, I need to buy a couple of things and cant pull the trigger until Scotty tells me what I need to know...
Old Aug 21, 2003, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I host a board that has twice the traffic of FT, it's popular because it's free, the moment we charge for it people will leave and join a different board.</font>
I find it rather difficult to believe that Tarom.net receives "twice the traffic of FT".

Then again...maybe.
Old Aug 21, 2003, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by anrkitec:
I find it rather difficult to believe that Tarom.net receives "twice the traffic of FT".

Then again...maybe.
</font>
Tarom.net is just one of over 120 sites we host
Old Aug 21, 2003, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TalkBoard: We discuss / ad nauseum things that mean / so very little
I'd just keep editing old posts. Or conveniently "deciding" to switch handles after 500 posts.

FewMiles..
Old Aug 21, 2003, 3:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Silver
Maybe the moderators could charge posters a premium for any posts that really annoy other members.
Old Aug 21, 2003, 4:05 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by cactuspete:
Maybe the moderators could charge posters a premium for any posts that really annoy other members.</font>
Trying to find new and creative ways to spend your tax cut?
Old Aug 21, 2003, 5:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Silver
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by SMessier:
Trying to find new and creative ways to spend your tax cut?</font>
Ouch! That will cost you an extra 2 cents.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.