Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Only Randy Petersen
Reload this Page >

Randy...What is your opinion of the new AA-Pointsxchange Alliance?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2001, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Hi Randy...

Is this alliance going to be for "real" this time. There was so much overhype about the AOLAAdvantage.com marketing plan. AOLAAdvantage had to be the biggest disappointment I have seen. What do you know about this new partnership?

There are about 40 million of us who are chomping at the bit, waiting for your answer.

Thank you very much for all you do...

Sincerely,

Bob Linderman
Fairlawn, OH
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/010329/dath025.html
Old Apr 4, 2001, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Randy,

I hope you are feeling better and are on a speedy road to recovery...

After viewing points.com after their web site launch, you do not need to answer my question or the question of any FTer anymore...points.com is basically a rip off and the exchange attribute should be avoided at all costs (unless there are dramatic changes to the ratios). Personally, I do not earn my miles to "give them away" at a 1:10 ratio.

As I stated in my other posts, unless points.com changes their ratios, the "value perception" of anything they try to accomplish on the web site will reflect the ridiculousness of the exchange program.

Like you, I will keep a sharp eye on their progress and I really hope they can figure out how to make a profitable site while keeping their customers happy. Perhaps those high paid executives on their board will finally get their big chance to use their marketing degrees...to save a new company they are all about to ruin...while coming out of the gate!
Old Apr 4, 2001, 8:37 pm
Founder of FlyerTalk

I have spoken out in several articles all ready about this Points.com program.
Essentially there are a few things wrong: They are not the world's first as they like to claim. Many of us who have been around for some time are very familiar with the Hilton Rewards Exchange which more liekly can claim that honor and of the other exchange iniatives from such programs as Diners Club Rewards, etc. I also agree with you as to the value proposition. I could not ever conceive of taking 1:10 devaluation in the face of any program. Today, because of the absense of expiring miles and such things as 'miles and money' there is probably value in every mile in any program. And given the ongoing chances of alliances and common currencies soon to be in the programs themselves, there is far less relaince on the idea of an exchange. Yes they have American. But why do you think they are in the program? Because they love the idea? Probably because they were given major consessions to options and the idea that with the other current airlines, where do you think the miles will end up? Yep, all those other program members will convert to AAdvantage and indeed, AAdvantage will get paid for all that. Bottom line - I'd like for any member of FlyerTalk to present me with a situation where they felt it was in their best interest to do the trade? I'll let someone try to make that point, but I've got to tell you, you'll have to really do the talking.......

But in fairness because I know how these things evolve, let's see what they are doing in 6 months. If no change, then stick a fork in them because they are toast.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.