FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Only Randy Petersen (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/only-randy-petersen-383/)
-   -   100,000 Posts? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/only-randy-petersen/1095687-100-000-posts.html)

theblakefish Jun 14, 2010 9:05 pm

100,000 Posts?

Hey Randy,

I know that a lot of people post a lot of things, all across the spectrum, but has any FT'er achieved 100,000 posts? It seems that this would be the gold standard, and quite an achievement for a FlyerTalk Evangelist to shoot for! Just wondering if anyone has gotten there yet and/or is close.

Thanks!

tbf

Randy Petersen Jun 18, 2010 2:17 pm

100,000 posts is certainly a unique "mile"stone and no member is there yet. However, a few members are well on their way and while post count is not the end all, it is certainly something that is a measure of the time that one might spend on FlyerTalk.

We actually have two members with post count that exceed 50,000. Both GUWonder and Kiwi Flyer have posted beyond that level. Another three members are in their "40s" and another 4 are in their "30s".

And this despite an exception where posts made in OMNI are not included in the post count since FlyerTalk is still based on the premise of being the preferred place for the topics of miles, points and travel.

What is astounding is that if you were to look at the posts of both the 50,000+ members, you'd find a treasure trove of helpful and informative information which I am not only impressed by, but honored by their presence on FlyerTalk. For whatever reason I was looking at a few of their posts recently and they are as good or even better than their first posts!

But 100,000 -- that's a healthy number of posts for any place on the Internet.

And since I recently gave a new Apple iPad to the member who posted the 1,000,000th thread on FlyerTalk, I'm wondering what I could possibly do for the member who first gets to 100,000 posts, but truthfully, whomever it might be, I'm sure to them it's not about their post count, they really do like being here. And that's my kind of member.

Thanks for the question and thanks to everyone who has posted to FlyerTalk .. and to those whose first post is yet to come.

Randy

uaflyer64 Jun 21, 2010 4:00 am

mucho posts

I joined some time ago and probably hold the record for least posts versus time.

Got my sister to join and she has racked up 9K posts in less than a year.
:confused:

Steph3n Jun 21, 2010 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by uaflyer64 (Post 14168609)
Got my sister to join and she has racked up 9K posts in less than a year.
:confused:

Are you saying you want to do FT like a MLM program were you get credit for her posts? :D

tcook052 Jun 21, 2010 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by Steph3n (Post 14173466)
Are you saying you want to do FT like a MLM program were you get credit for her posts? :D

Like a referral bonus, perhaps. :D

While I'm not quite to 100K yet, give me time. ;)

uaflyer64 Jun 22, 2010 12:33 am

System Wide

I think 100K posts should earn a system wide upgrade on the Airline of their choice.

Of course, competition for posts doesn't often result in quality, but it can be a useful tool

BearX220 Aug 3, 2010 11:41 am

I wouldn't want to see the incentive based on sheer quantity. Otherwise, think of the additional two-word "I agree" junk posts you'd have to wade through as people race to 100k. FT contributors should be judged on the wisdom of their contributions, not how high they stack.

ScottC Aug 3, 2010 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by BearX220 (Post 14415119)
I wouldn't want to see the incentive based on sheer quantity. Otherwise, think of the additional two-word "I agree" junk posts you'd have to wade through as people race to 100k. FT contributors should be judged on the wisdom of their contributions, not how high they stack.

^

GUWonder Aug 3, 2010 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by uaflyer64 (Post 14174182)
I think 100K posts should earn a system wide upgrade on the Airline of their choice.

Of course, competition for posts doesn't often result in quality, but it can be a useful tool

Anyone who's been around FT enough to post even 10-20% of that amount has reaped rewards galore that IMO far exceed the reward of a systemwide upgrade.

Post count is not a reward, nor could it provide any greater reward than the knowledge gained in the course of being an active participant on FT.

danville 1K Aug 3, 2010 9:27 pm

Well we did have one poster who in roughly seven years logged 47,332 posts before leaving four years ago. Were he to still be around I'm sure he'd be pushing 100k posts by now.

BearX220 Aug 4, 2010 12:15 am

Originally Posted by danville 1K (Post 14418494)
Well we did have one poster who in roughly seven years logged 47,332 posts before leaving four years ago. Were he to still be around I'm sure he'd be pushing 100k posts by now.

Yup -- and recall, if you will, how many of those posts were of the "I'll say!" "Quite right!" "Great point!" .... etc., variety, adding nothing much to threads beyond simple presence.

danville 1K Aug 4, 2010 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by danville 1K (Post 14418494)

Originally Posted by BearX220 (Post 14419045)
Yup -- and recall, if you will, how many of those posts were of the "I'll say!" "Quite right!" "Great point!" .... etc., variety, adding nothing much to threads beyond simple presence.

Well I didn't say they were quality posts :) He was definitely the king of "ditto" posts. He had to have just about been on here 24 hours per day.

tcook052 Aug 4, 2010 10:28 pm

Who would decide how much "wisdom" has been shared? If poster X has 100K who decides if, for example, only 50K has been substantive contributions? Someone gonna read each one? Sound like a good idea but sure opens a can of subjective worms to me.

danville 1K Aug 4, 2010 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by tcook052 (Post 14425741)
Who would decide how much "wisdom" has been shared? If poster X has 100K who decides if, for example, only 50K has been substantive contributions? Someone gonna read each one? Sound like a good idea but sure opens a can of subjective worms to me.

I think this falls under the category of "you just had to be there". And out of deference to our most gracious host Randy, this will be my last post on the subject. After all, this is his forum.

Dovster Aug 6, 2010 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by Randy Petersen (Post 14156935)

And since I recently gave a new Apple iPad to the member who posted the 1,000,000th thread on FlyerTalk, I'm wondering what I could possibly do for the member who first gets to 100,000 posts

Here's a suggestion: If he has that much time to post (especially with Omni not being counted), maybe you could get him a life.

(I have to admit to being embarrassed by my own 27,000+ post count. I wanted to get a life but my UIG (Used Italian Girlfriend) vetoed it.)