Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

24 hour cancellation policy and Orbitz

Old Jun 19, 09, 7:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: former UA 1P

I'm considering buying a multicity (and multicarrier) ticket on Orbitz. Each leg has a separate fare basis, and the UA legs state

". CUSTOMER COMMITMENT -- IF RESERVATIONS AND TICKETING OCCUR ON THE SAME DAY A FULL REFUND IS PERMITTED WITHOUT PENALTY WITHIN 24HRS OF PURCHASE FOR U.S. POINT OF SALE ONLY."

So I assume that means I have the 24 hour cancellation option if need be. However, the last leg is not on UA and does not have 24 hour cancellation policy.

Anyone have any experience with what would happen if I tried to cancel within 24 hours? Would it charge me separately for just the last leg? I'm at a loss.
Old Jun 19, 09, 8:09 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Believe the cancellation policy will be Orbitz's responsibilities and terms. What you are reading is united's policy for purchases on united.com. Your refund, if any, will be from Orbitz not United.

Check the travel agent's (Orbitz) T&Cs.
Old Jun 20, 09, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, AA, DL, Marriott Silver
I'm pretty sure Orbitz has their own change/cancel fee in addition to UA's. UA isn't able to change an Orbitz (or any online TA) ticket before departure - Orbitz has to do it. UA's guarantee applies to any US point of sale, so I imagine Orbitz wouldn't be charged by UA for the change. And they may not charge you for that. But I'm pretty sure Orbitz would charge you whatever there change/cancel fee is, unless they have their own 24-hour clause.

As for the last leg on the other airline, I have no idea, but imagine if the airline itself charges a fee, Orbitz would incur that fee, and therefore it would be past on to you.
Old Jun 20, 09, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

IME, any airline ticket you buy on Orbitz can be cancelled without penalty within 24 hours.
Old Jun 20, 09, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Believe the cancellation policy will be Orbitz's responsibilities and terms. What you are reading is united's policy for purchases on united.com. Your refund, if any, will be from Orbitz not United.

Check the travel agent's (Orbitz) T&Cs.
I bought a multicity from Orbitz a few weeks ago, and the online credit card activity shows two transactions: the booking fee from Orbitz, and the ticket fee from the airline. IOW, it looks like I was charged directly by the airline.
Old Jun 20, 09, 6:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, SPG Platinum, National Executive
Originally Posted by mre5765 View Post
I bought a multicity from Orbitz a few weeks ago, and the online credit card activity shows two transactions: the booking fee from Orbitz, and the ticket fee from the airline. IOW, it looks like I was charged directly by the airline.
Did the statement say something along the lines of "UNITED AIR ELK GROVE IL"?
Old Jun 20, 09, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mre5765 View Post
Orbitz tickets should show up as [airlines] Mankata, MN. Orbitz acts as an agent, not a reseller, and any refund needs to go through Orbitz. Travel agents act as resellers when you purchase a air/land package or charter flights.
Old Jun 20, 09, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by UAX_Brasilia View Post
Did the statement say something along the lines of "UNITED AIR ELK GROVE IL"?
I wasn't flying UA on this purchase. The only reason I went through Orbitz was because the airline website did not let me buy a multicity online and Orbitz would.
Old Jun 22, 09, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by TerryK View Post
Orbitz tickets should show up as [airlines] Mankata, MN. Orbitz acts as an agent, not a reseller, and any refund needs to go through Orbitz. Travel agents act as resellers when you purchase a air/land package or charter flights.
Didnt know that about orbitz. Good info, Thanks.
Old Jun 22, 09, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX View Post
IME, any airline ticket you buy on Orbitz can be cancelled without penalty within 24 hours.
That's true, but if you buy a ticket with an Orbitz booking fee, the Orbitz booking fee is not refunded - only the ticket purchase price.

Furthermore, multi-airline itineraries are still charged a booking fee. Orbitz's new "no booking fees" policy only applies to itineraries that are entirely on one airline.

So if the OP buys the ticket the OP was contemplating on Orbitz, and cancels within 24 hours, the OP will have incurred a booking fee that won't be refunded.
Old Jun 24, 09, 6:01 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, SPG PLT, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Avis CHM.
Originally Posted by crhptic View Post
That's true, but if you buy a ticket with an Orbitz booking fee, the Orbitz booking fee is not refunded - only the ticket purchase price.

Furthermore, multi-airline itineraries are still charged a booking fee. Orbitz's new "no booking fees" policy only applies to itineraries that are entirely on one airline.

So if the OP buys the ticket the OP was contemplating on Orbitz, and cancels within 24 hours, the OP will have incurred a booking fee that won't be refunded.

Is there a link to the 24 hour cancellation policy, or is it just an unofficial policy?
Old Jun 24, 09, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by ctownflyer View Post
Is there a link to the 24 hour cancellation policy, or is it just an unofficial policy?
Link to Orbitz cancellation policy
Old Jun 24, 09, 10:22 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, SPG PLT, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Avis CHM.
Thanks!

What does it mean that "flights booked with certain airlines" are not eligible for a refund?
Does anyone know which airlines they are referring to?
Old Jun 25, 09, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by ctownflyer View Post
Thanks!

What does it mean that "flights booked with certain airlines" are not eligible for a refund?
Does anyone know which airlines they are referring to?
My guess, and it's only a guess, is they mean freaky third-world airlines that don't do eticketing.

I've used this feature before with UA, AA, and DL tickets and it worked without a hitch.

If you want a better answer, I suggest you call or email Orbitz!
Old Jun 25, 09, 9:56 am

If you want a better answer, I suggest you call or email Orbitz!

Already did, crickets so far, but I will post back if they answer me.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: