Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

Disputing Hotel Star Ratings on Priceline

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Disputing Hotel Star Ratings on Priceline

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2007, 8:17 am

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
I have been following this thread with interest. Be wary of disputing the charge with Priceline. I have heard that if someone disputes a Priceline charge with the credit card company then they lock that credit card out of their system for future use. I would email Priceline first.
Old Jul 11, 2007, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by ChinaShrek
I have been following this thread with interest. Be wary of disputing the charge with Priceline. I have heard that if someone disputes a Priceline charge with the credit card company then they lock that credit card out of their system for future use. I would email Priceline first.
as long as the op has another CC this will not be a problem. and even if OP only has 1 CC he can call them up, say he lost his card and needs another card. the new card will have a new number
Old Jul 11, 2007, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by USAFAN
The hotel got you in a real bad situation .... at 8:00 PM you almost didn't have another choice.
I'll add that it was 8pm on July 4th, which makes it even worse if we tried to switch since hotels were packed that night. We just got in from the airport, checked-in at the hotel, ate dinner quickly, and just made it in time for the fireworks.

Last edited by cornellalum; Jul 11, 2007 at 11:23 am Reason: spelling
Old Jul 11, 2007, 11:23 am
Original Poster

Here's a status update for all of you who have been following this thread. I received a standard form email reply one hour after I sent my complaint to Priceline yesterday. The reply, from Priceline Executive Offices, stated they would do their best to contact me after one business day.

To clarify the sequence of events about my complaints, I initiated a dispute with my credit card company on Mon July 9th. They said they would send me paperwork and then I would need to send it back. Comments from this thread made me realize that PL may be responsive to emails as opposed to my one phone call to PL which went nowhere. So yesterday Tues July 10th, I emailed Priceline to get a successful resolution. My thinking is that if I don't get a favorable response from PL, I will send back the paperwork to the CC company so they can begin their investigation.
Old Jul 11, 2007, 5:44 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Celebrity Cruises Elite Plus
Thanks for the follow-up. I'm glad to see your email generated at least a standard form reply, meaning it's working it's way through the system.

Just one comment, if by chance you don't hear back within the promised one business day, don't give up. My experience has been they can occasionally take a few more days, so just hang in there.
Old Jul 11, 2007, 6:10 pm

I wouldn't dispute the star ratings, I'm sure the hotel qualifies. I wouldn't question two twin beds, that qualifies under PL description of acceptable bedding.

You should just dispute the quality of your room. Your case will be a lot stronger if you took pictures.
Old Jul 11, 2007, 7:07 pm
Original Poster

PL sent me another email to let me know they are in contact with the hotel and are making attempts to resolve the issue. They will get back to me between 3-5 business days.

In my initial email to them, I offered to provide pictures if they requested them, but they have not made any such request yet.
Old Jul 11, 2007, 9:43 pm

How much cash are you seeking to recover? How much did you pay Priceline?
Old Jul 12, 2007, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by Colin
How much cash are you seeking to recover? How much did you pay Priceline?
Colin:
I believe cornellalum should not post anything like this here ... after he disclosed the hotel in this thread.

I assume he will get all back....the room was in inadmissible conditions, actually not a question how much stars it has.
In my case I booked a 4* hotel in Paris, got Novotel Les Halles. The room was very simple/plain like a (cheap) motel in the US. And the room was very, very small and a little run down. However, it was not dirty, no bugs etc. It was just not a 4* hotel. PL contacted the hotel and I got all back, which I wasn't expecting.
cornellalum's experience is a completely other story - he should get all the money back. What would you expect?
Old Jul 12, 2007, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by azmmza
as long as the op has another CC this will not be a problem. and even if OP only has 1 CC he can call them up, say he lost his card and needs another card. the new card will have a new number
That's not a good advise.
The OP should try to resolve this matter with Priceline (first). OK, Priceline didn't help him when he called. However, they reserved him a room in a 3* hotel. And the hotel put him in a dirty, infested ... room.
If and when he stops the payment to PL, PL can *NOT* immediately give him a credit .... a "payment stop" will complicate the whole procedure.
I would wait and see what happens .... He has nothing to loose.
Old Jul 12, 2007, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Another update:

Priceline emailed me this morning. They contacted the hotel's General Manager who agreed to refund 2 of 4 nights for the inconvenience. I responded, explaining that I felt a partial refund is not acceptable, and provided a link to photos documenting some of the unsanitary issues we observed. I also recommended that they remove the hotel from the "Name Your Own Price" system.

I followed up with a phone call to make sure that they can receive emails at their outgoing email address. I spoke to the lady who had emailed me, who viewed the photos but said that she is not authorized to provide a full refund unless the themselves hotel authorizes it and refunds Priceline. Instead, my comments will be forwarded to their executive management, and it will be up to them to decide whether to pursue any additional action (full refund, removal of hotel from bidding, etc). There is no way for me to find out if and when they will look at and/or respond to these comments. But I requested that they contact me .... we'll see what happens.
Old Jul 12, 2007, 1:17 pm

Priceline should close your account and refuse to do business with you again. Just like Sprint wireless, Priceline should realize some customers are more trouble than they're worth.
Old Jul 12, 2007, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by cornellalum
Another update:

Priceline emailed me this morning. They contacted the hotel's General Manager who agreed to refund 2 of 4 nights for the inconvenience. I responded, explaining that I felt a partial refund is not acceptable, and provided a link to photos documenting some of the unsanitary issues we observed. I also recommended that they remove the hotel from the "Name Your Own Price" system.

I followed up with a phone call to make sure that they can receive emails at their outgoing email address. I spoke to the lady who had emailed me, who viewed the photos but said that she is not authorized to provide a full refund unless the themselves hotel authorizes it and refunds Priceline. Instead, my comments will be forwarded to their executive management, and it will be up to them to decide whether to pursue any additional action (full refund, removal of hotel from bidding, etc). There is no way for me to find out if and when they will look at and/or respond to these comments. But I requested that they contact me .... we'll see what happens.
Thanks for your updates ... I'm glad to see Priceline is not only responding within acceptable timeframes, but also working with you.

Could you clarify one thing for me? In reading through your posts on this thread, I noticed you left the hotel one night to stay in a neighboring town before returning back to the Copley. I'm assuming you placed one bid for four consecutive nights and had the same room for the entire duration. And the night you stayed in a neighboring town the room at the Copley merely went empty? In other words, you didn't check in and get a different room for your last night, did you? Reason for the questions is because I'm trying to figure out the hotel's strategy in offering you a partial vs full refund.

Stick to your guns ... if a hotel manager is willing to refund 50%, then I consider that an admission and acknowledgement your accomodations weren't satisfactory. Why go half way ... just refund your entire stay while creating goodwill and PR at the same time.
Old Jul 12, 2007, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by Colin
Priceline should close your account and refuse to do business with you again. Just like Sprint wireless, Priceline should realize some customers are more trouble than they're worth.
I beg to differ. I've made 100's of bookings with Priceline (just booked one today as a matter of fact) and have only complained about two of them.

Without knowing how many Priceline transactions the OP has made in the past without incident, your allegations they should refuse to do business with him are without merit.
Old Jul 12, 2007, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

The Priceline bid and reservation was for 4 nights. Originally, we were planning a day trip out of town. However, given the conditions of the accommodations, we changed the car rental and decided to make it an overnight trip to enjoy a nicer room for one night. Another family member paid for the room, so the cost was opaque to me.

We did not inform the hotels staff that we were leaving. There's really no point in checking out and checking in again since we had already prepaid for the room. So this empty room during the overnight trip went unnoticed by the hotel staff, and it certainly did not have any impact on the hotel's decision of a 50% refund.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.