Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

Charged by Priceline & the charged by hotel!

Charged by Priceline & the charged by hotel!

Old Jul 26, 2006, 9:01 am
  #46  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Beautiful Atlantic Canada
Programs: Bonvoy Platinum & LFT Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Silver, Airmiles Onyx, Aeroplan, Avis President's Club
Posts: 1,202
A little update here about this whole situation...
I talked to Mastercard and the transaction was disputed and I won. I was refunded by Mastercard and NOT by the Marriott Hotel.
Anyhow, I got my refund and now I won't do anything to an existing Priceline reservation.
NBSPGMEMBER is offline  
Old Jul 26, 2006, 9:10 am
  #47  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Beautiful Atlantic Canada
Programs: Bonvoy Platinum & LFT Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Silver, Airmiles Onyx, Aeroplan, Avis President's Club
Posts: 1,202
Originally Posted by CrazyOne
Sounds like you're just "overthinking" your Priceline bids there. Yes, you do get an actual Marriott (or whoever) confirmation number, but no, you wouldn't expect that res to have your own credit card info in because you are billed only by Priceline for that res.

So, in fact, this episode was entirely your own doing. You tricked the poor clerk into making the mistake in the first place! Oh, well, live and learn.

You can't typically make any changes to those reservations, and in most cases except Marriott I don't think you can access them at all. If you want to put in bed prefs and stuff, best bet is to call the hotel directly. (I typically don't bother, but then I'm usually bidding for one person or two of us who will share one bed.) Most will accept this, some will grumble.
Yeah, I know. I guess this is my fault. LOL
I guess that's why you can't look or even find a Priceline reservation on the SPG website. But I like to have a king bed & non smoking room. But I won't change anything anymore, especially anything regarding to the billing aspect of the reservation. I don't like 2 doubles, because I'm usually alone or with my girlfriend so...It's a waste of space in the room and I prefer a big large bed!

Last edited by NBSPGMEMBER; Jul 26, 2006 at 12:02 pm
NBSPGMEMBER is offline  
Old Jul 26, 2006, 11:26 am
  #48  
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Washington DC USA
Posts: 2,571
Originally Posted by NBSPGMEMBER
But I like to have a king bed & non smoking room.
So do I, but you gotta realize that when you bid on Priceline you are guaranteed neither.

If the hotel has what you want, and you ask nicely, in most cases they have no reason not to give it to you. However, if they don't have what you want, or you don't ask nicely, or the hotel people are ______s, you have to take whatever they do give you.

Just wanted to make sure you are aware of that since you said you are a new Priceline user.
crhptic is offline  
Old Jul 26, 2006, 12:06 pm
  #49  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Beautiful Atlantic Canada
Programs: Bonvoy Platinum & LFT Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Silver, Airmiles Onyx, Aeroplan, Avis President's Club
Posts: 1,202
Originally Posted by crhptic
So do I, but you gotta realize that when you bid on Priceline you are guaranteed neither.

If the hotel has what you want, and you ask nicely, in most cases they have no reason not to give it to you. However, if they don't have what you want, or you don't ask nicely, or the hotel people are ______s, you have to take whatever they do give you.

Just wanted to make sure you are aware of that since you said you are a new Priceline user.
I'm always nice when I check-in, so I usually get the room I want.
Really! I usually suck up a little when I check-in, with Priceline or with a regular hotel rate. You be very nice and flirt a little with the front desk girls!

Last edited by NBSPGMEMBER; Jul 26, 2006 at 12:12 pm
NBSPGMEMBER is offline  
Old Jul 26, 2006, 12:41 pm
  #50  
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Washington DC USA
Posts: 2,571
Originally Posted by NBSPGMEMBER
I usually suck up a little when I check-in, with Priceline or with a regular hotel rate. You be very nice and flirt a little with the front desk girls!
I bet that doesn't work as well when you're on those trips with your girlfriend that you mentioned.
crhptic is offline  
Old Jul 26, 2006, 1:13 pm
  #51  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Beautiful Atlantic Canada
Programs: Bonvoy Platinum & LFT Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Silver, Airmiles Onyx, Aeroplan, Avis President's Club
Posts: 1,202
Oh! my girlfriend is as cheap as me...LOL
She will let me do a lot of things, since we're saving lots of money and getting the room we want with Priceline! LOL! Just kidding!
To flirt a little is no big deal.
NBSPGMEMBER is offline  
Old Jul 26, 2006, 1:56 pm
  #52  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: PEK
Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Posts: 8,890
My only question is that if OP replaced PL's CC, does that mean the hotel's out of that money since they charged OP and not PL?
Palal is offline  
Old Jul 26, 2006, 2:19 pm
  #53  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Beautiful Atlantic Canada
Programs: Bonvoy Platinum & LFT Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Silver, Airmiles Onyx, Aeroplan, Avis President's Club
Posts: 1,202
Originally Posted by Palal
My only question is that if OP replaced PL's CC, does that mean the hotel's out of that money since they charged OP and not PL?
I don't know... but one thing is for sure, Priceline DID charge my credit card, so I did pay for my room, after that I don't care. Did the hotel get paid, that I don't know, but the hotel billing department can surely deal with this.
If there is one thing that I did learn about this experience, don't touch or alter a Priceline reservation, period.
NBSPGMEMBER is offline  
Old Jul 26, 2006, 3:18 pm
  #54  
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Washington DC USA
Posts: 2,571
Originally Posted by NBSPGMEMBER
To flirt a little is no big deal.
Ah oui, pardon, j'ai oublié que tu est français!

Cheers
crhptic is offline  
Old Jul 26, 2006, 5:39 pm
  #55  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Beautiful Atlantic Canada
Programs: Bonvoy Platinum & LFT Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Silver, Airmiles Onyx, Aeroplan, Avis President's Club
Posts: 1,202
Originally Posted by crhptic
Ah oui, pardon, j'ai oublié que tu est français!

Cheers
Actually it's; Ah oui, pardon, j'ai oublié que tu ES français!
pas de (t)
MSPeconomist likes this.
NBSPGMEMBER is offline  
Old Jul 26, 2006, 10:39 pm
  #56  
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Washington DC USA
Posts: 2,571
Originally Posted by NBSPGMEMBER
Actually it's; Ah oui, pardon, j'ai oublié que tu ES français!
pas de (t)
apparently, j'ai oublié mon français aussi
crhptic is offline  
Old Jul 27, 2006, 6:49 pm
  #57  
Yub
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: SNA/LAX
Posts: 367
I've been double-billed once, and I'm fairly certain about the cause in my case.

As soon as I received Priceline's confirmation e-mail, I took the hotel reservation confirmation number and looked up the reservation on Hyatt's website. I attached my Hyatt Gold Passport number to the reservation in the hope of getting special treatment such as an upgrade, or better yet, a stay/points credit triggered by incidental charges. I believe that attaching my Gold Passport number to the reservation caused Priceline's credit card information to be replaced by the credit card information on my Gold Passport account.

During the hotel's investigation, they mentioned that they had only charged my CC and never charged Priceline for the original charge. They weren't sure why that happened, but it seems to be consistent with my theory. They eventually sorted it all out, and credited the charged amount back to my CC.

Has anyone else experienced double-charging after adding a frequent stay program number to the reservation?

Last edited by Yub; Jul 27, 2006 at 6:55 pm
Yub is offline  
Old Jul 27, 2006, 8:33 pm
  #58  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Beautiful Atlantic Canada
Programs: Bonvoy Platinum & LFT Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Silver, Airmiles Onyx, Aeroplan, Avis President's Club
Posts: 1,202
Originally Posted by Yub
I've been double-billed once, and I'm fairly certain about the cause in my case.

As soon as I received Priceline's confirmation e-mail, I took the hotel reservation confirmation number and looked up the reservation on Hyatt's website. I attached my Hyatt Gold Passport number to the reservation in the hope of getting special treatment such as an upgrade, or better yet, a stay/points credit triggered by incidental charges. I believe that attaching my Gold Passport number to the reservation caused Priceline's credit card information to be replaced by the credit card information on my Gold Passport account.

During the hotel's investigation, they mentioned that they had only charged my CC and never charged Priceline for the original charge. They weren't sure why that happened, but it seems to be consistent with my theory. They eventually sorted it all out, and credited the charged amount back to my CC.

Has anyone else experienced double-charging after adding a frequent stay program number to the reservation?
It's definitely possible because my Marriott Rewards number was added to my Priceline reservation so this might be why this was all messed up.
But I'm pretty sure now that changing the CC number on the reservation was the mistake.
NBSPGMEMBER is offline  
Old Jul 29, 2006, 1:10 am
  #59  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Posts: 10,443
Originally Posted by NBSPGMEMBER
I think it won't get corrected. I contacted Priceline and they say that they contacted the hotel and that the only charges that we're charged to my cc was my parking and that they cannot help me further.
When I called the hotel they said the same thing... that they did not charge anything else than parking. They did not return my calls after that. All sides say they don't know anything about the other amount. The amount charged is a little lower (not the exact amount) than the price I paid on Priceline, so I would not be able to say that I was charged twice. Clever aren't they? I think this is a scam from the hotel directly because if I add both those two charges my price is about the same as the regular rate charged by the hotel. I don't think I will use Priceline again, I guess I will have to live in the world of rack rates!
If you did not authorize additional charges, then what the hotel did was illegal. Just dispute the charges in writing with your credit card company.
formeraa is offline  
Old Sep 28, 2009, 9:12 pm
  #60  
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SJC
Programs: UAM+ 1P, HolidayInn Priority Gold, Hyatt Gold Passport, Starwood Preferred Guest Plus, ANA silver
Posts: 177
Priceline and Budget Rent A Car double charge me

Bid and won priceline car rental 8/29 - 8/31 LAX full size, Budget Rent A Car for $20 per day.

Well, my credit card statment comes in today. Lo&behold,

8/31 Priceline $66.03
8/31 Budget Rent A Car $68.61

Tried to call priceline and Budget, on hold for over 30 minutes each, gave up. Email both. Waiting for response.

Same story here:
Car rental customer sees red after double-billing blues
http://www.elliott.org/blog/car-rent...billing-blues/
young707 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.