Community
Wiki Posts
Search

pay less, get less?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2003, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

pay less, get less?

The recent priceline post ("worse room because it's priceline?") made me wonder if people have found when booking deeply discounted flights, hotels, packages or cruises online that they get inferior products.

It could be anything from a harsher cancel policy (obviously the case with PL and hotwire) to getting a crummier hotel room, to being the last to be able to request seats.

I used priceline several times and all my rooms have been fine. I've also purchased discounted air tix and never had a problem, but I wonder if others have.

------------------
Michael Shapiro
Columnist, SF Chronicle
Correspondent, Washington Post
Author, Internet Travel Planner
www.nettravel.com
Old Nov 19, 2003, 5:34 pm

I had what I amount to "beginner's luck" with Hotwire+Priceline for hotel rooms and car rentals.

But, like gambling, I then had a string of misfortunate experiences that ultimately convinced me that for any trip I need a better guarantee of my experience, it's best to not use opaque bookers (and to an extent, even hotels.com/expedia/travelocity).

I never put much belief into it either until I tried (this is slightly devious but I was really curious about how I was being treated) to request a king bed at a Marriott property booked through Priceline. I was at this Marriott during the week in the summer for work, and it was EMPTY. No cars in the lots in the evening when I checked in on a Monday, nobody roaming around the hotel, the restaurant was dead. I asked for a king bed when I checked in and the clerk told me they were sold out of king beds. After being told that, I took out my Marriott Rewards Platinum card and asked her if my status would get me a room with a queen bed, she then assigned me to a king suite. I asked her if their king rooms were really all booked and she then told me "Not at all".

I had a horrible experiences because of the source of my booking on a vacation in the Bahamas, a difficult experience with a car I was given by Avis through Hotwire, and enough others to give pause before considering the channel of my bookings.

Possibly the worst, though, is customer service through Priceline. May God have mercy on anyone who has a problem and needs to talk to a human.
Old Nov 19, 2003, 9:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Over a dozen Priceline reservations for me, and not once have I ever received inferior service at the hotels.
Old Nov 20, 2003, 11:04 am
Original Member

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
I have been more that satisfied with our experience.

Know your prices, be realistic in the star level you bid versus your expectations, take your sense of humor (always pack this first on a trip) and do not expect an upgrade with a priceline stay.

Once you reserve your stay, go to the web site for that property and get familiar with what to expect (parking fees, available dining, local diners, attractions).

Post questions on FT, as to expectations.
Old Nov 21, 2003, 7:29 am

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, WN A List Preferred, Hyatt Globalest, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
Of late Hilton is not even per its policies upgrading Gold/Diamond to exec level even on a space avail basis on check in, and they try to not give you points even for incidentals and they try to make the stay not count. Sometimes you can get around these things, but it is a pain. I got comped Hyatt Diamond, and they honor literally 100% of Diamond benefits, upgrades, promotions, etc. on Priceline. I have had about a dozen Hyatt stays since October 1st 2003, and have earned thus 6 faster free nights. Hyatt is one of the only chains honoring Priceline reservations w/elite benefits?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.