Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bidding for travel?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2005, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by mjz
I've been trying for several weeks to access www.biddingfortravel.com with no luck. I never used to have any problems. Is anyone else experiencing problems? I've also Googled bidding for travel and tried to access the site via the website link as well as an ezboard link - nothing. I'd appreciate any tips.
Thank you.
Sometimes the BFT Administratrix spends too much on her sushi binges and forgets to pay her web domain hosting bill

More seriously, the web address "biddingfortravel.com" forwards (resolves) to the actual address of the board, which is a long string starting with "pub". Simply stated, sometimes the linkage between the two addresses doesn't work properly.

However, if you're having consistent failures over several weeks, something else (a ban of an ISP, maybe) may be responsible.
Old Jan 12, 2005, 8:18 am

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT 2MM, DL Lifetime GM 2MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, HH Diamond, IHG Amb Diamond
Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
Sometimes the BFT Administratrix spends too much on her sushi binges and forgets to pay her web domain hosting bill

More seriously, the web address "biddingfortravel.com" forwards (resolves) to the actual address of the board, which is a long string starting with "pub". Simply stated, sometimes the linkage between the two addresses doesn't work properly.

However, if you're having consistent failures over several weeks, something else (a ban of an ISP, maybe) may be responsible.
I've frequently found the web redirect access problems as NNR mentions - try the actual site link here
Old Feb 13, 2005, 5:32 pm

BFT N**i

Sheryl the Bidding for Travel N**i.. after I posted a bidding experience & mentioned that I used my spouse's info to re-bid on Priceline.. she told me it was against the rules.. I told her that was a surprise since I got the idea from another BFT post.. she immediately CUT ME OFF and banned me from the community.. like I had somehow personally insulted her or something.. I was just trying to be helpful!!

I was so mad I considered starting up a rival website myself. I had even followed her "important personal email" request to bid through her site so that she'd get credit for our travel..

I really hope that another site w/same idea takes off, I'd love to see BFT and Sheryl the BFT N**i run off the airwaves.

Last edited by jabez; Feb 16, 2005 at 6:20 am Reason: See my post
Old Feb 13, 2005, 6:35 pm

Programs: Hy-Vee Fuel Saver

Last edited by scruffy; Feb 27, 2005 at 10:24 pm
Old Feb 13, 2005, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by flyer20
Sheryl the Bidding for Travel N**i.. after I posted a bidding experience & mentioned that I used my spouse's info to re-bid on Priceline.. she told me it was against the rules.. I told her that was a surprise since I got the idea from another BFT post.. she immediately CUT ME OFF and banned me from the community.. like I had somehow personally insulted her or something.. I was just trying to be helpful!!

I was so mad I considered starting up a rival website myself. I had even followed her "important personal email" request to bid through her site so that she'd get credit for our travel..

I really hope that another site w/same idea takes off, I'd love to see BFT and Sheryl the BFT N**i run off the airwaves.
Allow me to quite Guido (the Killer Pimp) from Risky Business: "Let me give you a little advice so you know. In times of economic uncertainty, never ever **** with another man's livelihood. Go have fun, now? You know fun, time of your life? Maybe if you follow that, I won't have to come back here."

Head over to betterbidding.com, its a much lower testosterone site.

(and BTW, welcome to FT)

Last edited by jabez; Feb 16, 2005 at 6:21 am Reason: See my post
Old Feb 14, 2005, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by skofarrell
Allow me to quite Guido (the Killer Pimp) from Risky Business: "Let me give you a little advice so you know. In times of economic uncertainty, never ever **** with another man's livelihood. Go have fun, now? You know fun, time of your life? Maybe if you follow that, I won't have to come back here."

Head over to betterbidding.com, its a much lower testosterone site.

(and BTW, welcome to FT)
Better Bidding is generally good. However, you will still get your posts edited it you give certain details (Different email/credit card rebids, eBay points in some circumstances.)

I don't have too many problems with this as the guy is at least polite about it.
Old Feb 14, 2005, 6:37 am

I think most of us agree that BFT is not exactly friendly, but still useful.
Please understand that we here at FT also, at times. need to "correct" and/or edit posts that go too far over the line.
I have personally made the decision that referring to BFT's owner as a "N...i" is crossing that line. I realize that this term is generally related to a "Seinfield" episode and not some war criminal, but "name calling" of fellow FTers , IMHO, should not be permitted.
So everyone with this reference, please edit. I appreciate your cooperation.
Old Feb 14, 2005, 3:41 pm

Would Sheryl ban you for not using that link she sends everyone?? She just helped me find a great deal on a hotel in New Orleans (a couple days ago) and I was very grateful and even complimented her on her efficiency in a follow-up post... however a few hours later I found that I was banned and was not even allowed to read the site?? It then occurred to me that I didn't use that Priceline link she sent me (I had intended to but I had to leave the computer for an hour or so to run some errors and it slipped my mind when I returned) and maybe the reason I was banned is because I didn't use this link? She wouldn't actually ban you simply for not using that link, would she?? I tried sending her a message through that EZInbox capability as to why I was banned, but she never responded... maybe there was some mistake that happened and I was accidentally banned??

Osei
Old Feb 14, 2005, 9:54 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime ExecPlat, LH HON Circle, SQ PPS Solitaire, Hyatt Courtesy Card
There are others who report having been banned for not using the link, so its probable that you were banned. You're talking about someone who strikes all mentions of saving $15 per booking (eBay points) so she can make 60 cents on her commission - she's very profit-oriented to say the least - its all she cares about and don't think she won't ban you for denying her that 60 cents...
Old Feb 15, 2005, 8:56 am

Programs: UA 1MM, Hilton Diamond
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Osei
Would Sheryl ban you for not using that link she sends everyone?? She just helped me find a great deal on a hotel in New Orleans (a couple days ago) and I was very grateful and even complimented her on her efficiency in a follow-up post... however a few hours later I found that I was banned and was not even allowed to read the site?? It then occurred to me that I didn't use that Priceline link she sent me (I had intended to but I had to leave the computer for an hour or so to run some errors and it slipped my mind when I returned) and maybe the reason I was banned is because I didn't use this link? She wouldn't actually ban you simply for not using that link, would she?? I tried sending her a message through that EZInbox capability as to why I was banned, but she never responded... maybe there was some mistake that happened and I was accidentally banned??

Osei
I doubt very much you were "accidentally" banned...
Old Feb 15, 2005, 9:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by Morrissey
I doubt very much you were "accidentally" banned...
It's possible, since rumor has it that BFT keyboards have an oversized "Banned" key right in the middle. Maybe it was hit by mistake.
Old Feb 15, 2005, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by flyer20
Using someone else's info to re-bid on PL is probably against PL's policies. I think her site exists but for the grace of Priceline, and she doesn't want to/can't get PL mad at her. Apparently, PL complained about publicly posting her amazingbargains referral website, which is why she was switched to emailing the link to people. If you break the rules, don't be surprised if you're banned.

I agree that Sheryl's style could be moderated a bit, but on the other hand, I know that she has responded to my postings at all hours of the night, so I know she works hard, and the site definitely has saved me quite a lot of money over the years. When a person has to respond to dozens, if not hundreds of postings per day, it's understandable that her responses might be seen as being curt or abrupt when in fact she's just trying to be efficient. I used to feel that way about people who would respond to my emails with one line responses, but now I realize they just have too much to do to add the "Dear blah blah. How is the weather and the kids?....with best regards,...."

Last edited by jabez; Feb 16, 2005 at 6:22 am Reason: See my post
Old Feb 15, 2005, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by thesilb
... saving $15 per booking (eBay points) ...
How do you save $15 per booking?
Old Feb 16, 2005, 9:24 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime ExecPlat, LH HON Circle, SQ PPS Solitaire, Hyatt Courtesy Card
To save $15 per booking, just go to Ebay. Find the link at the bottom for "Ebay Anything Points". Register (you must also have a PayPal account). Return to this spot to initiate your bids through the special link found at Ebay, and earn $15 in Anything points per booking (for a four star hotel, slightly less as you scale down in quality).

You can convert Anything points to airline miles at points.com - some conversions are great, some are poor. AsiaMiles is great. Let's put it this way: for every 36 hotel rooms booked on Priceline, chalk yourself up a free business class ticket on British Airways from the USA to Europe! Quite a deal. Since I book for family and friends (you can use their credit cards, just always use YOUR OWN ebay account to bid), I have already earned several FIRST class BA tickets to Europe -a ll for doing nothing more than just buying the hotel rooms I would have anyway. Its a heck of a good deal.
Old Feb 16, 2005, 9:27 pm

Well, Sheryl's business model is certainly under the gun now - the current issue of Kiplinger's mentions BFT - and then goes directly on to explain to people how to get the free $15 by bidding through eBay.

An inside source tells me that Priceline is actively pushing the use of this eBay portal through media releases. So hopefully other trade magazines and newspapers will start to clue people in when they mention BFT or otherwise, so Sheryl will be unable to continue to censor/hide from people the money they are losing by using her link instead of the eBay-provided one. Its such a tragedy that she censors away from people the opportunity to earn money and/or significant airline miles (when converted through points.com) on their Priceline bookings.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.