Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bidding for travel?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2003, 6:47 am

calitalian
Thanks for volunteering for the moderator's job.
I both understand and appreciate your remarks. I .too, have some suspicions that there MIGHT be some someone using more than one identity to promote their website. But, I (after reading your posts) suspected that you might be someone else defending their site. I know that's not true, but it's a funny thing about suspicion's, they aren't necessarily true. If someone is promoting a website (even if they own it) ,that's not always a "banning" type of offense. I have to consider if it's a potential benefit to those here at "Online Travel Booking & Bidding". The website you defend so well has been helped greatly by some self-promotion. I see no real problem , if it's "within reason".
I think that the question whether the person who started this thread is a third (fourth, fifth...? ) identity is something we will never know. But, the question they raised is one that MANY MANY times has been raised (way before the competing website existed) here and on other forums. So ,I wasn't shocked to see it raised again. I also expect to see it raised again. The facts seem to not change. One board has a heavy hand (some may argue rude),but is valuable. The other has merit, but is (because it's so new)not nearly as valuable. If anything, when these type of remarks keep getting repeated, I think "here we go again". Yet ,I realize that the person who made the initial remark has the right to state their opinion, just as you do. Guess what? None of this discussion (including your remarks) would be allowed on BFT. Aren't you glad you have a forum like FT to share them with?
In conclusion, there (as of now) is no reason to shut this thread down. You may have noticed in the past I've shut down one that I felt went too far .I also have defended Sheryl, even before being a moderator, when I felt she was being personally flamed. Sorry that you don't like the job I'm doing, but with the little traffic we get here, I really feel that light moderation should be the rule. If you're looking for some heavy moderation, I know just the perfect web community for you...(just kidding...kind of).

Old Apr 26, 2003, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think that's the right call, jabez. While I do agree these threads tend to be repetitive ("BFT can be heavy handed, look there's a new bidding site you can post on") I don't see what's necessarily wrong with them. My own personal objective is that I use priceline a lot for hotels (and hotwire occassionally), and want to encourage as many people as possible to post their winning bids/strategies in the forum THEY feel most comfortable. For me, that's better bidding, and I would like to see more people know about it and have their data base expand.

That seems like a positive for just about everybody reading this board, who's interested in on line hotel bidding.
Old Apr 26, 2003, 9:33 am

Although i don't think it's necessary to do so, I will go on record that i have not posted on FlyerTalk under any other name(s) nor have i prompted anyone else to post here.

CalItalian, to show you how easily mistakes can be made... i'm sure you could understand if somebody thought that you were the moderator at BFT that goes by the screen name of "CoolItalianAmerican" and posts often in the California section, due to the similarities. However, I assume that you are not the same person, and think that you would likely be offended if somebody accused you of being a one in the same.

[This message has been edited by thereuare (edited 04-26-2003).]
Old Apr 26, 2003, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by CalItalian:
Then there is thereuare, who takes every opportunity that he can to promote his website (not just here cause I've seen him on a lot of the boards I read - like MyCoupons.com), while never avowing ownership of Betterbidding, jumped right on this one too. </font>
If you search this forum by poster for thereuare, and read the messages about betterbidding, especially in February, you'll see that he uses phrases like "my website", "the database I'm building". I'd say on balance, he discloses ownership of the site much more often than he leaves it unmentioned. And he uses the same handle on betterbidding.com as the moderator there. So he's not hiding it, IMO.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by trader475:

As near as I can tell, there's no commercial aspect to betterbidding.com
</font>
BB has affiliate links on the top of the main page to PL and Hotwire; they'll get a small referral fee for each booking, just like BFT. The reason you didn't know about it is probably that, unlike BFT, thereuare doesn't nudge on every single BB thread to ask folks to use it...
Old Apr 26, 2003, 10:30 am

[QUOTE]Originally posted by CalItalian:
...Oh and BTW, josie105, I think you need to broaden your horizons, hon. I just did a search on you and EVERY SINGLE ONE of your posts has had something to do with bashing Biddingfortravel. What would you do if FlyerTalk didn't allow all of your bashing garbage? Crawl back into your hole? Just wondering. ...

To CalItalian: You are incorrect about your research on my posts. Additionally, your coarse and inappropriate commentary on a TRAVEL message board is yet another example of why www.betterbidding.com exists. SHAME on you for attempting to stifle discussion here with trademark tactics now familiar to most of us.
PS: My name is really Josie (wife, mom, and consumer advocate extraordinaire) and for the record, I have ALWAYS AND PROUDLY used only one name online, Josie105.
Old Apr 26, 2003, 1:13 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
jabez you warned against flaming earlier in the thread, yet you have continued to allow it which means your moderation is totally ineffective.

Why did you even post what you did on 4/24 if you are now going to try to substantiate the value of this discussion?

If you have suspicions of multiple identities, investigate them!!

As to this type of thing not being allowed on biddingfortravel, that's one of the assets of that board. They stay ON TOPIC. Try it sometime, Jabez. You're acting just as childish as the others and you're not moderating.

And yes I am CoolItalianAmerican that posts on BFT and I stand behind everything I have posted on this thread.
Old Apr 26, 2003, 7:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
CalItalian, your frustrations about the light moderation of Flyertalk illustrate the different philosophies of BFT and FT -- and vive la difference!

Sheryl pulls that "off topic" censorship so often her delete key probably needs replacement weekly. Here at FT, the moderators show far more respect for the notion of free speech.

You have no legitimate gripe with the moderator, CalItalian. If you don't like what you see, don't read it. If that doesn't help, chat with Sheryl of BFT. At least she'll have a sympathetic ear for you.
Old Apr 26, 2003, 8:03 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
You might want to edit that COOLItalian as you don't appear too 'cool'
Old Apr 26, 2003, 9:19 pm

Programs: Airline/TSA Avoidance Platinum, Hotel Disloyalty Silver, Hertz 1.7*
I was going to stay out of this thread, but I have to step in and defend Jabez's decisions about moderating. If you look at this thread it was entirely on topic and without anything approaching flame until you CalItalian wandered in and started accusing people of things. I suggest you think about that before hurling further accusations and criticism.
Old Apr 27, 2003, 2:03 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by CalItalian:
I have been following this thread since "too much" started it last week and I couldn't help but think right away that it seemed awfully fishy. Come on now, "too much" has never posted on FlyerTalk before (or since then for that matter). He doesn't display his email address and he uses FlyerTalk just to bash a website.
Think about it. Hopefully that's not "too much" to ask.

Then there is thereuare, who takes every opportunity that he can to promote his website (not just here cause I've seen him on a lot of the boards I read - like MyCoupons.com), while never avowing ownership of Betterbidding, jumped right on this one too. And then some of the people who see the value in
BiddingForTravel come along and post and then another "newbie Biddingfortravel basher" comes along.

Hi trader475 have you ever used Priceline?

These newbies aren't newbies at all. They're people who have signed up with new names simply to mask their identity and I have felt from the first time that I read them that they are either thereuare or someone posting at the suggestion of thereuare to promote Betterbidding. So the underlying purpose of this is self-agrandizement under the guise of Biddingfortravel bashing. Shameful!

jabez, you're the Moderator here and you need to do a better job. You are not enforcing the FlyerTalk rules. Please tell me what the value of this discussion is outside of Biddingfortravel bashing and Betterbidding self-agrandizement, both Flyertalk rules violations.

Oh and BTW, josie105, I think you need to broaden your horizons, hon. I just did a search on you and EVERY SINGLE ONE of your posts has had something to do with bashing Biddingfortravel. What would you do if FlyerTalk didn't allow all of your bashing garbage? Crawl back into your hole? Just wondering.

I never thought the purpose of this forum was a Biddingfortravel bashing free for all, yet every month or two, it's the same crud from obviously the same cruddy people.

We need a Moderator who knows what it means to moderate (which means removing crap like this and issuing an off board warning. And Jabez, specifically a reminder to josie105. But of course, you'll want to verify her posts first) and participants who act like adults. Cut the crap, multiple posting identities and personal attacks, please.

Could this whole thing be removed since it was started in the first place to promote a website under the guise of fake identities? Thank you.
</font>
Cut the crap? personal attacks? The only one providing either of those here is you. I think this was a wonderful discussion till you came along criticizing anyone whose views don't agree with yours.
I'm sure toomuch is someone else posting under another name but that doesn't bother me as long as the point is valid and not offensive (even though it is technicaly a violation of the TOS). Sometimes people like to hide their identity when they post.
As to the critsism of sheryl's website, as long as it's not personal in nature everyone is entitled to their opinion. As far as the moderation goes I think jabez is doing a wonderful job. Heavyhandedness is not why people read FT.
If you dont enjoy the discussion here you can always go BFT and if you read the lenghthly FAQ, research anything you will post about on 84 websites, adhere to all the quirky rules and don't ruffle the moderators feathers you are welcome to post over there.
Old Apr 27, 2003, 8:59 pm
In memoriam

Programs: United
Blah, blah, blah. Bottom line is that BFT works. I've been chewed out more than once, but I've also succeeded in getting incredibly low rate all over the USA, thanks to Sheryl and everyone else who posts to the board. So bicker all you want, nobody's forcing you to go there.
Old Apr 28, 2003, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ah, the memories

Before usenet became unreadable, I use to read rec.travel.air. The flamewars between Sheryl and the rest of the participants were classics.

Old Apr 28, 2003, 8:02 pm

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
birdstrike, it's pretty amazing that there were flame wars in rec.travel.air. We're talking tourism here -- happy, relaxing stuff. Sheryl must have a little excess antagonism available for distribution.
Old Apr 28, 2003, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dhuey:
birdstrike, it's pretty amazing that there were flame wars in rec.travel.air</font>
I don't want to be misrepresented. rec.travel. air was brought to us by the letter R, the letter T and the letter A. Those were halcyon days indeed
Old Apr 29, 2003, 9:38 am

I just posted another Priceline success story on the VERY USER FRIENDLY www.betterbidding.com. Hubby and I are doing an overnighter in Lancaster County PA next week. Since it is close to Mothers Day, really good rooms in Amish Country are difficult to get. The nice ones which are available, are going for $76 to $136 or better. I said, "What the heck," threw caution to the wind, and put in a $30 1* bid. Within one minute, Priceline accepted it and upgraded me to a 2* Quality Inn, where rooms are currently $76-135. I know the place well, and this deal is phenomenal. Thanks to Priceline (and BetterBidding) for your early Mothers Day present!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.