Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

Help re: "Your Flight with Delta Is No Longer Available"

Old Jan 19, 23, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

I received a voicemail and email from Orbitz informing me that my purchased departing flight to Mexico is " no longer available" and that I can call them to find an alterative flight or cancel for a full refund. However I checked my reservation on delta.com and it shows the flight and my reservation as still active. Does anyone know why this is the case? Should I proceed to reschedule the flight with Orbitz or cancel with them and reschedule with airline? Will Orbitz change the flight with no additional cost? Appreciate any advice for this situation.
Old Jan 20, 23, 11:38 pm

Programs: TK Elite
Welcome to FT!

I suggest to stay put for now and see how it works out. I assume that you prefer to stay on this flight (if not cancelled) so no need to call Orbitz now; much easier if Orbitz call you again later if they really need to contact you.

If really cancelled rebooking should be without charge but you may face issues to get Orbitz to do that due to imcompetence of phone agents....Often the only option in their view is a full refund. Good luck!

Next time book directly with the airline as they are much easier to deal with in situations like this.

Last edited by SK AAR; Jan 20, 23 at 11:43 pm
Old Jan 21, 23, 6:38 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Coronavirus, United MileagePlus, Environmentally Friendly Travel, FlyerTalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM/Plat; AS MVP 75K; AA gold; Fairmont & Starwood platinum; Hyatt diamond; Kimpton IC Elite
Id call or online chat with Delta to make sure they see your ticket and there are no problems with it.

- OR -

Is the ticket still the same price? You could go through with your thought of canceling on Orbitz and rebuying directly with Delta. Id buy first - you have 24 hours to cancel so no risk of having two tickets - and then call Orbitz and cancel quoting their email. Its generally better to book directly through the airline when you can to avoid the hassle of middlemen having control of your ticket.

Last edited by l etoile; Jan 21, 23 at 6:58 am
Old Jan 24, 23, 7:45 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your replies! Essentially it was a legit message from Orbitz. I initially thought it was a scam call/email since the information provided was vague. I then texted Delta customer service and they initially confirmed my itinerary was firm. At that point I was convinced that it was a scam and so upset that I connected to Orbitz customer chat to inform them, the agent that responded proceeded to review my reservation and confirmed that there was a change. I then mentioned that I had verified with Delta that there were no changes, he then explained that it was not Delta but the last leg of my trip via Aeromexico that had changed. (Note: a pattern while communicating with Orbitz is that I have to slowly extract the information from them rather than them explaining the issue from the get go). He offered a cancellation with full refund since he said there no other available flights on that date or nearby dates. I decided to hold on cancelling since there were was no alternative airlines that travels to the town of the last portion of the flight and I wanted to get more information. I then went to the Aeomexico website and could not find the flight booked. I went back to Orbitz customer chat with the same process of me explaining everything again. This agent did more digging and informed that Aeromexico rebooked me to an earlier flight however it would be departing Mexico City before my connecting flight would arrive at Mexico city. The agent couldn't find available alternatives and told me to contact Delta. I checked my itinerary on the delta site again and the Aeomexico flight was now missing. I then called Delta and once they did there discovery they confirmed the changes but then promptly told me to go back to Orbitz. One more Orbitz chat and same discovery process with the agent, the third agent tried to find an alternative itinerary having me leave the night before and red eye and I said no and then asked for the cancellation/refund since it was an airline initiated change. They then acknowledged and proceeded to cancel and refund. I then booked flight to an alternative city directly through Delta. I know I should of done that from the beginning but at the time the preferred flight schedule was only available though Orbitz. Never again of course, very frustrating experience with Orbitz and their vague communications.
l etoile likes this.
Old Jan 24, 23, 7:51 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Coronavirus, United MileagePlus, Environmentally Friendly Travel, FlyerTalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM/Plat; AS MVP 75K; AA gold; Fairmont & Starwood platinum; Hyatt diamond; Kimpton IC Elite
Sounds like it took a while to get to the bottom of, but good to know you got it worked out. Safe travels.
Old Yesterday, 7:08 pm
Original Poster

Thanks!

Search this Thread