Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

Unable to cancel or change reservation on Orbitz

Old Mar 29, 21, 4:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold

I usually just book my flights directly with the airline these days but my sister made a reservation on Orbitz for plane flights for my mother and her to come visit but then we realized she forgot it's an overnight flight. No problem, well within 24 hours so she should just change the reservation or cancel it altogether and start fresh.

Except ... she has an Orbitz confirmation number but the system won't let her cancel online, the phone system doesn't recognize her itinerary number and won't connect her to an agent. The online chat won't put her through to anyone either because it doesn't recognize her confirmation number. She's really frustrated at the runaround/endless loop she's getting so I think Orbitz may have lost a customer permanently (no biggie IMO but their corporate PR folks ought to understand this).

Any suggestions on how to break this logjam?
Old Mar 29, 21, 4:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Airlines offer the 24 hour free cancel period (or permit one to hold flights, per DOT regulation), but does the same rule apply to OLTAs? I suspect not. Alternatively, do Orbitz T&Cs offer the 24 hour free cancel period?
Old Mar 29, 21, 5:02 pm
Original Poster

The problem is that Orbitz doesn't even recognize its own itinerary number. I had my sister give me her info and tried it myself, confirming her results. The web page shows the itinerary but says there's a problem processing her request when trying to cancel online. The phone system won't refer a caller to a human agent because it doesn't recognize the itinerary number. AA shows the reservation as ticketed but attempts to cancel there get referred to Orbitz -- who can't/won't process the cancellation (web) and don't recognize the itinerary (phone). We still have several hours to cancel but this is stupid.
Old Mar 29, 21, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Maybe https://twitter.com/orbitz can help?
Old Mar 29, 21, 6:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Before you do anything, confirm that the terms of the Orbitz booking permit a 24-hour refund or change. Remember that the US DOT regulation only applies to tickets issued directly by an air carrier. If the ticket booked for your mother does not permit refunds, you will need to figure out what this will cost. Once you know that you can make a determination as to whether you wish to proceed.

If you do proceed, you might consider the chat function or Twitter.
Old Mar 29, 21, 9:45 pm
Original Poster

Orbitz claims the reservation can be cancelled until 23:50:57 tonight (March 29)

but their website claims a technical glitch on their end is preventing cancellation.

The chat function also results in the same circular loop. Thanks for the suggestion about Twitter. I don't do Twitter but will see what I can do.
Old Mar 30, 21, 8:36 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT
US travel agencies can VOID tickets out by end of next business day. If ticketed on Friday, it can be voided out by Monday end of day. Some agencies will charge a service fee for doing so. Orbitz (Expedia group) allow this without charge and can usually be done online.

Sounds like OP need to speak with tech support. This void has to be performed by Orbitz. AA can't void this out.
Old Mar 30, 21, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestion on Twitter. They actually did respond to a DM, am waiting to hear from my sister on whether they actually cancelled the ticket as requested.
Old Mar 30, 21, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

So Orbitz didn't bother contacting my sister until today, after the free cancellation period expired. Their response of course was, "your free cancellation ended yesterday."

My Orbitz account expired or was deleted a long time ago but I still have an active Expedia account. I'll be writing in to let them know why I'm cancelling it.
Old Mar 30, 21, 4:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
So long as your mother (passenger) or sister (purchaser) sent their DM prior to the 24 hours (and Expedia acknowledged), just have your sister initiate a chargeback.

Make certain that she submits a copy of the e-ticket receipt and a PDF of the DM exchange showing date & time, along with the 24-hour cancellation policy itself. Proper documentation is key.
seawolf likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: