Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

Expedia booking using their own credit card?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2021, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MileagePlus

I have a bit of a long story. I booked a non-refundable stay in an Irish hotel for June 2020. Expedia agreed to refund the stay with a coupon that could only be used at that individual hotel. I was fine with that. The hotel subsequently closed. I got Expedia to agree to transfer the value of the stay to another hotel for June 2021 and I used that "credit" I had to purchase refundable tickets instead of non-refundable tickets.

It seems clear to me that June 2021 is not going to be safe travels (which blows my mind! I was so sure six months ago that a year from June 2020 would be different...) so I want to cancel it or reschedule it.

Only one problem: if I look at the credit card they "collected" from, it's not mine. It looks like some internal Expedia card or something that they used to accommodate me. The frustrating thing is the hotel hasn't released a 2022 schedule, so I can't move it myself using the automated tool or the chat bot.

Has anyone ever seen this before? I'm afraid canceling it will have them refund their own credit card. I guess I should try calling.
Old Feb 28, 2021, 10:35 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Not sure how hotel stays are converted to "tickets". Assuming there are no transportation tickets in question here, the fact that there is a credit card number that is not yours on a booking with this convoluted history is not necessarily unusual or troubling.

Given your original purchase was non-refundable, I would not expect any changes, whether due to travel restrictions or otherwise, to result in a cash refund of your original purchase price.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2021, 1:26 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I used to book prepaid hotels where the booking seemed affiliated with a credit card number that was different from the ones I had used to pay the OTA for the hotel bookings. In the rare instances where I had to cancel such hotel booking stay/night and the hotel agreed to return the money in whole or in part, it ended up at times crediting back to my cards anyway without much issue. And then at other times, it required chasing down the credit with the OTA and a waiting game of sort for the OTA and the hotel to work together.
Old Mar 1, 2021, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MileagePlus
Originally Posted by NYC Flyer
Not sure how hotel stays are converted to "tickets". Assuming there are no transportation tickets in question here, the fact that there is a credit card number that is not yours on a booking with this convoluted history is not necessarily unusual or troubling.

Given your original purchase was non-refundable, I would not expect any changes, whether due to travel restrictions or otherwise, to result in a cash refund of your original purchase price.
Tickets is the wrong word. I should have called it "reservations." It went from non-refundable reservation to voucher at a hotel to refundable stay at another hotel, but now my actual payment information is abstracted.

Originally Posted by GUWonder
I used to book prepaid hotels where the booking seemed affiliated with a credit card number that was different from the ones I had used to pay the OTA for the hotel bookings. In the rare instances where I had to cancel such hotel booking stay/night and the hotel agreed to return the money in whole or in part, it ended up at times crediting back to my cards anyway without much issue. And then at other times, it required chasing down the credit with the OTA and a waiting game of sort.
I think I should call them and ask!
NYC Flyer likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2021, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Yeah, it is perfectly normal when you make reservations through a third party like Exp. You pay to Exp and Exp pays to the hotel, including using their own credit card to secure bookings etc. It all depends on what is agreed between Exp and the hotel.

Yes, any refund will be processed to Exp.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.