Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

Expedia refuses to refund fully refundable business (C) ticket

Old Aug 26, 20, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

I booked a fully refundable business ticket (C class, Expedia screenshots below) on Expedia for travel on our collective favorite airline -- TAAG -- in December 2020.

I canceled this a few days ago, after confirming with Twitter support that the ticket was fully refundable. They said yes, and after I confirmed the cancellation, they said a full refund was issued to my card. See screenshots.

The next day, Expedia emailed to say that I could only receive an airline credit. I've escalated this to Expedia's highest level of customer service (Tier 3) with no resolution. I've already confirmed that "Offering you a credit voucher" means "only offering you a credit voucher."

This seems like really blatant fraud on the part of Expedia, doesn't it?
Old Aug 26, 20, 12:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Your location shows as EWR. Presuming that you paid with a credit card from a US issuer (bank), simply initiate a chargeback once 7 days have passed.. Do it in writing (online is fine) and supply a copies of the e-ticket receipt, the screen showing the "refundable" terms, the traffic back-and-forth in which a refund is promised and then the fact that no refund has been made.

Let Expedia and the carrier slug it out, but you are entitled to a refund.
Yoshi212, TWA884, James91 and 3 others like this.
Old Aug 26, 20, 9:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Your location shows as EWR. Presuming that you paid with a credit card from a US issuer (bank), simply initiate a chargeback once 7 days have passed.. Do it in writing (online is fine) and supply a copies of the e-ticket receipt, the screen showing the "refundable" terms, the traffic back-and-forth in which a refund is promised and then the fact that no refund has been made.

Let Expedia and the carrier slug it out, but you are entitled to a refund.
Definitely the step to resort to, but Chase has been really bad about fighting airlines so far with Covid shenanigans, hence my shock that Expedia wouldn't be willing to help resolve this.
SxMan likes this.
Old Aug 26, 20, 10:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Did you respond back? I had an AS flight (LAX-OGG) through Expedia cancel on me with no warning and Expedia told me that they forgot to call me (no kidding, that's what they said) and refused to refund me, but would only book me on another flight. After arguing with them for about 5 minutes since I no longer trusted them to not warn me if another flight got canceled, they finally relented and refunded me. I would just call up and hold your ground that they need to refund you.
Old Aug 26, 20, 11:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by seigex View Post
Did you respond back? I had an AS flight (LAX-OGG) through Expedia cancel on me with no warning and Expedia told me that they forgot to call me (no kidding, that's what they said) and refused to refund me, but would only book me on another flight. After arguing with them for about 5 minutes since I no longer trusted them to not warn me if another flight got canceled, they finally relented and refunded me. I would just call up and hold your ground that they need to refund you.
Several times. Tier 3 (highest level of customer support) was determined to not issue a refund.
Old Aug 26, 20, 11:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by acmys View Post
Several times. Tier 3 (highest level of customer support) was determined to not issue a refund.
Defeintely go the charge back route then. It's between them and the airline at this point.
SxMan likes this.
Old Aug 27, 20, 12:23 am

Definitely the step to resort to, but Chase has been really bad about fighting airlines so far with Covid shenanigans, hence my shock that Expedia wouldn't be willing to help resolve this.
I had success with filing a chargeback with Chase regarding a Hainan airlines cancellation involving Priceline that wasn't nearly as straightforward. There's no reason a chargeback wouldn't be successful, especially with the evidence that you have in hand.
Old Aug 27, 20, 2:00 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold
A chargeback should be easy, because Expedia promised you in writing that you'll receive a cash refund.
seigex likes this.
Old Aug 27, 20, 5:59 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, United Silver, National Executive
That's about par for OTAs [mod edit]

The real question should be: Why are you booking through OTAs instead of using them as the search engines good for nothing else that they are?
SxMan, wrldwide1 and Dieuwer like this.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Aug 27, 20 at 10:07 am Reason: FT rule 12.2
Old Aug 27, 20, 7:51 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Don't pass up a chargeback because you may have heard that someone else had a problem. Perhaps they did not properly document their case or perhaps there are some missing facts. Or perhaps the Chase front life staffer handling the dispute just screwed up. Doesn't mean that yours won't sail through.

In your situation, the fact that Expedia promised a refund and then did not process one makes this all the easier.

The better documented, the harder it is for the vendor (Expedia) to push back and more importantly with the US system, Expedia's merchant acquirer will only go so far before it allows the chargeback and takes the funds administratively from the Expedia chargeback holdback,
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Aug 27, 20, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by warakorn View Post
A chargeback should be easy, because Expedia promised you in writing that you'll receive a cash refund.
Not only that, but if Chase denies the chargeback, I'd be looking for a new credit card pronto!
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Aug 27, 20, 10:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by msp3 View Post
That's about par for OTAs [mod edit]

The real question should be: Why are you booking through OTAs instead of using them as the search engines good for nothing else that they are?
- Error fare only bookable on OTAs
- Expedia definitely adds a layer of backup. Would much rather deal with a terrible Expedia and a terrible TAAG over just a terrible TAAG.
seawolf likes this.
Old Aug 27, 20, 10:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Don't pass up a chargeback because you may have heard that someone else had a problem. Perhaps they did not properly document their case or perhaps there are some missing facts. Or perhaps the Chase front life staffer handling the dispute just screwed up. Doesn't mean that yours won't sail through.

In your situation, the fact that Expedia promised a refund and then did not process one makes this all the easier.

The better documented, the harder it is for the vendor (Expedia) to push back and more importantly with the US system, Expedia's merchant acquirer will only go so far before it allows the chargeback and takes the funds administratively from the Expedia chargeback holdback,
I lost a chargeback against AC in a very clear cut refund case. Not hopeful about Chase.
Old Aug 31, 20, 6:00 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, Tvl Ldrs
There is a possibility that TAAG is refusing the refund under the guise of "unprecedented circumstances" and the impact on their finances.

Seems like most of the CC companies are not willing to fight the carriers on refunds right now either.

I don't think Expedia's mistake in communicating the refund status to you will warrant a chargeback (also, unlikely they are the merchant of record, but rather an agent for TAAG).

I'd pursue this with TAAG directly, and if they won't process the refund, see if they will provide you and Expedia with some specific authorization so Expedia can process it.
Old Aug 31, 20, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
I had this issue before - Initiated a charge-back and a week later they came back to me and said that because it's been too long since the initial booking they weren't able to refund back to my CC and asked for my bank transit & bank account instead. Just do a chargeback - they promised a refund and are refusing now.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: