Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

Booking.com Non refundable Hotel/booking issue

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2020, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Didn't see a thread for booking.com so posting here.

We made a reservation on booking.com in Jan for Grendelwald, Switzerland for June 26th and with Switzerland not allowing any tourists in the near future at least next month we asked for a refund. We have until May 10th to cancel the reservation at which point we lose 30% of the fee and beyond we lose 100%.

Booking.com customer support seems to say that they cannot do anything. My only option is to go file a claim with chase as we paid for the reservation with chase preferred CC. Anything else we can do?

Last edited by vkrish7; May 8, 2020 at 12:34 pm
Old May 8, 2020, 12:31 pm

I have similar in Scotland with booking.com. You could reach out to the hotel, mine has offered a credit for future travel. It really is not booking.com's problem when we book non refundable stays.

I will likely wait until the date nears, and claim on my travel insurance.
Old May 8, 2020, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bogwoppit
I have similar in Scotland with booking.com. You could reach out to the hotel, mine has offered a credit for future travel. It really is not booking.com's problem when we book non refundable stays.

I will likely wait until the date nears, and claim on my travel insurance.
I did reach out to the proprty and they said they cannot do anything. I can either cancel now and lose 30% or cancel after may 10th to lose 100%. they told me to go to booking.com and talk to them. So going in circles.

I understand the part about non refundable stays but its a pandemic and when Swiss government does not let tourists in what do you do?
Old May 8, 2020, 12:37 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Gold; NEXUS
I would cancel and eat the 30% fee. The severity of the headache I am going through with obtaining a refund from a hotel that's actually closed during our stay isn't worth it.
Old May 8, 2020, 12:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The hotel property is not the Swiss government. If it is open for business on the dates you have booked, then any cancellation is subject to whatever terms you agreed to.

Hopefully your travel insurance policy covers the 30%. I would carefully read the policy rather than relying on phone agents.
SK AAR, narvik and Yoshi212 like this.
Old May 8, 2020, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by vkrish7
I did reach out to the proprty and they said they cannot do anything. I can either cancel now and lose 30% or cancel after may 10th to lose 100%. they told me to go to booking.com and talk to them. So going in circles.

I understand the part about non refundable stays but its a pandemic and when Swiss government does not let tourists in what do you do?

Same here, but it is not the hotels problem that you cannot get there. In the same way flights may go to your destination, but you cannot be on them due to entry restrictions.

For my hotel, I have talked to the hotel, and to booking.com. I think they are being reasonable, even though I would prefer my money back. When booking there was no refundable option, it is in a remote location and options were very limited. So worst case scenario I get a credit note, that I might never use. The virus currently has me out of pocket about $10,000, maybe I'll get some back, maybe I won't. But it is already spent, and at a certain point I will need to get over the loss.
Old May 8, 2020, 7:08 pm

You might want to check your travel insurance policy. Some disallow claims for pandemic. I hope you're more
fortunate than many.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.