Expedia and refunds

Old Apr 27, 20, 9:30 am
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
My chargeback was simple. I booked a flight. I have documentation that the flight was cancelled. I have documentation that the airline declined to refund. I can show that I have reasonably attempted to contact Expedia without success. That was enough - in fact, they didn't even ask me to send any of this evidence to them.

"No reason or practical way to take it" is a different scenario. The reason chargebacks work is because the service was not delivered. If the flight does operate, then I don't believe you have (or even should have) any recourse. This isn't personal - I, too, have an intra-EU flight from IT to CH. I won't be on it, though, because I can't currently get to IT in the first place. If the flight operates as scheduled, I fully expect to lose my $100 ticket or accept a credit that I doubt I'll ever be able to use.
Old May 1, 20, 2:42 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by DYKWIA View Post
I've got a non-refundable hotel booking in Lisbon starting 1st May. The hotel is closed and Portugal is currently in a state of emergency until at least 2nd May,

Expedia are offering a voucher rather than a cash refund. I've just been on chat with them, and they've said they need to contact the hotel to get authorisation for a cash refund. The agent phone the hotel - which is of course closed, and just got voicemail.

Expedia are unwilling to do anything without authorisation from the hotel, so we're now in a chicken-and-egg situation.

Chargeback time I think
Well, I was pleasantly surprised. The hotel agreed to the refund and Expedia will refund within 30 days.

Surprising as I was one of about 20 who had booked the hotel. Everyone else booked direct and the hotel are refusing to budge, and only offering a voucher (which will be useless as they will no be used).
Old May 1, 20, 11:42 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by DYKWIA View Post
Well, I was pleasantly surprised. The hotel agreed to the refund and Expedia will refund within 30 days.

Surprising as I was one of about 20 who had booked the hotel. Everyone else booked direct and the hotel are refusing to budge, and only offering a voucher (which will be useless as they will no be used).
Good for you! When Expedia calls the hotel, they will talk to anyone. I bet they talked to a front desk clerk, who agreed to the refund, and the people who booked direct were directed to the Sales department, who are almost always more hard nose, as it affects them directly. We get calls from Expedia all the time at the front desk, and we always just agree, as talking to them is painful, and we are usually busy.

Glad you got your refund. As hard as it is to deal with Expedia, the outcome is usually pretty good if you stick with it. That is hotels only, know nothing at all about dealing with airline or any other issues with them.
Old May 2, 20, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TBD View Post
My chargeback was simple. I booked a flight. I have documentation that the flight was cancelled. I have documentation that the airline declined to refund. I can show that I have reasonably attempted to contact Expedia without success. That was enough - in fact, they didn't even ask me to send any of this evidence to them.

"No reason or practical way to take it" is a different scenario. The reason chargebacks work is because the service was not delivered. If the flight does operate, then I don't believe you have (or even should have) any recourse. This isn't personal - I, too, have an intra-EU flight from IT to CH. I won't be on it, though, because I can't currently get to IT in the first place. If the flight operates as scheduled, I fully expect to lose my $100 ticket or accept a credit that I doubt I'll ever be able to use.
I would think that if Americans are barred from taking the flight, you would get your money back from the credit card company. But we'll see.

Meanwhile, for folks who have received an Expedia refund receipt -- after successfully convincing them to give you a refund -- how long has it taken for the money to actually flow back to your credit card? My receipt for my cancelled Air Canada flights was issued a week ago and still no actual refund. They must be slow-walking the process because it's never taken me this long to receive a merchant refund. I already have the temporary chargeback credit from Citi so I don't really care (I would think it would be impossible for Expedia to now argue I'm not entitled to a refund!), but I would like this refund process to be completed.
Old May 2, 20, 10:31 pm
TBD

Programs: All The Programs
Originally Posted by iahphx View Post
I would think that if Americans are barred from taking the flight, you would get your money back from the credit card company. But we'll see.
Maybe? The DOT ruling doesn't apply to my intra-EU flight and I've seen plenty of cases where European governments support vouchers. Alas, I don't think I can take easyJet to court in Florida.
Old May 5, 20, 9:36 am

Programs: AS Mileage Plan; HHonors Gold; NEXUS
So what's the general consensus here?

I have a non-refundable reservation coming up with a checkin on Thursday. This hotel will be closed, as are all hotels in Spain. Expedia (via CheapTickets) is only offering a voucher and the hotel refuses to refund - it's about $850 or so. I don't want to take the voucher because it's limited to just this one hotel, I have no idea when we will be able to travel to Spain, and with less than 20 rooms offering exclusively non-refundable rates, I think it's more likely than not that this hotel is going to go belly-up.

Does anyone have experience with Expedia overriding hotel policy on the check in date if I am unable to check in? I have initiated a chargeback, but I see that Expedia has been known to send debt collectors after people that do this. I'm curious to know if anyone has gone down this road either before or since the start of the pandemic (when there's no room at the inn and/or the hotel is closed) and what the result was.
Old May 5, 20, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
Originally Posted by iahphx View Post
It's not the fact that Americans are barred from taking the flight, it's that they are not permitted into the Schengen area at the moment, so they airline could deliver the service (assuming the flight isn't cancelled), but the traveller just didn't show up at the gate. The 'why' doesn't matter to the airline, nor will it to the credit card company. I see no successful chargeback here. Possibly something for travel insurance, but even that is unlikely on many policies.
Old May 8, 20, 11:44 am

Be persistent. After perhaps 8 hours of phone calls and text messages with Expedia, with most of that time spent on hold, calls magically disconnected, customer service reps and supervisors who couldn't help, I finally was told that my airline credit will be changed to a refund. I booked a round trip package to Paris, hotel, flight and insurance for my daughter and her friend, booked back in December for a flight tomorrow. The hotel cancelled a month ago and issued a refund, not received yet. The airline cancelled three weeks ago. Since then I have been trying to get the credit changed to a refund, no success until today. 4 separate calls this week alone and a call typically takes an hour or so. They said it may take up to 8 weeks to get the refund. Now I have to work on getting something back for the insurance. Will I use Expedia again? Perhaps. The package was a great price, I got the hotel and flights for what the flights alone would have cost me booking direct. It was painful trying to get the money back but these are extreme circumstances and all travel companies are struggling.
Old May 8, 20, 1:53 pm

Today is a good day, the hotel refund just showed up in my account. It didn't take as long as I thought, the hotel cancelled on 4/21 so that is 17 days.
Old May 9, 20, 7:52 am

Programs: AS Mileage Plan; HHonors Gold; NEXUS
For those still fighting with Expedia like me, I came upon this:

https://b.travel-assets.com/epc/epc-...p_237_1033.pdf

These boilerplate T&C's between hotels and Expedia seem pretty clear cut - they have the power to yank the payment from the hotel if they cannot provide a room, or if a complaint arises. Also note that for force majeure events, the contract specifically calls out that section C.2.c (relocations) is enforceable.

In any case, it's likely helpful for my credit card dispute to demonstrate that Expedia can indeed force a refund if they want to.
Old May 9, 20, 11:24 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The whole purpose of a chargeback is for the consumer to avoid the inevitable fight between third-parties. If the dispute has merit, the consumer receives a credit and that amount is debited to the merchant vendor paid by the merchant acquiring bank. The merchant vendor and third parties can then slug it our or not as they wish. But, that is of no concern to either the consumer or the consumer's issuer (bank).

In simpler terms, if you book through Expedia and the property is closed or otherwise unable to or does not provide the service AND you are refused a refund, you initiate the chargeback. Whether it is Expedia or the property which ultimately gets stuck is not your concern. Nor do consumers or their card issuers want it to be.

Expedia, of course,has greater market power than a consumer. If you never go back to a given property, it is not even a blip. But, Expedia can simply withold amounts due from the next booking and few properties can afford to discontinue the relationship if they want new customers from distant locations.
Old May 12, 20, 11:57 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum, AS MVP75K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire
Iím having problems with orbitz refunding a flight. Itís been 6 weeks and orbitz says to follow up with Cathay Pacific. Cathay Pacific says I need to follow up with orbitz so round and round I go.
Old May 12, 20, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
Originally Posted by NWplatinum View Post
Iím having problems with orbitz refunding a flight. Itís been 6 weeks and orbitz says to follow up with Cathay Pacific. Cathay Pacific says I need to follow up with orbitz so round and round I go.
If you booked the flight with Orbitz, you need to deal with Orbitz. Probably HUCA.
Old May 15, 20, 9:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by TBD View Post

Surely you should be able to get a full refund even if the flight operates if (1) you have a fully refundable fare or (2) the airline has an applicable waiver policy stating that you're entitled to a refund.
Often1 likes this.
Old May 15, 20, 11:24 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
During the pandemic, many people seem to have jumped over alternatives to cancellation. Even many penalty fares provide for a refund with a manageable penalty. Just because the flight operates does not mean that one can't get a refund.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: