Agoda Hotel Booking Problem

Old Mar 18, 2020, 1:47 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Agoda Hotel Booking Problem

I was planning on going to Iceland next month and I booked a crazy cheap hotel deal on Agoda almost a year ago. The booking is non-refundable. With this whole coronavirus situation, my flights got cancelled and I cannot make it to Iceland.

Agoda won't help me with my booking. All they can do is cancel my booking and AFTER contact the hotel to see if they can make an exception and refund my money. If the hotel says no, I'm out of luck.

I contacted the hotel directly and all they can offer is a voucher for the value of my stay. Given that their normal rate is 3-4 times more expensive than what I paid, I don't think this is fair as I could just lose my money and book at a different hotel for less. Would it be fair to ask for a voucher worth the amount of nights I paid for instead?
Old Mar 18, 2020, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Agoda has to contact the hotel first to ask if they will cancel without penalty. Only then can they offer whatever it is they want to offer you. When is your travel? It matters if the EU is closing it’s borders and you can’t get to Iceland.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 6:35 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Agoda has to contact the hotel first to ask if they will cancel without penalty. Only then can they offer whatever it is they want to offer you. When is your travel? It matters if the EU is closing it’s borders and you can’t get to Iceland.
I was due to arrive April 16th. The Agoda rep I spoke to said I needed to cancel my booking first and then they would contact the hotel if they can refund me.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by mcbg1
Would it be fair to ask for a voucher worth the amount of nights I paid for instead?
No way the hotel will accept this. You can get a refund or vouchers for the amount paid - not a voucher for the same number of nights; not going to happen (and would be totally unreasonable to ask for IMO).

Anyway, you need to deal with Agoda since you booked with Agoda.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 2:29 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I just logged into my Agoda profile and I got a message saying I was entitled to a full refund given the circumstances. All is resolved.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 6:32 am

I've been having good luck with the hotels that we purchased and even RyanAir both of which surprised me. Ironically, SAS is my least favorite resolution as it is only for a voucher and any replacement flights are going to cost me $1000+ per ticket (and I need 4 tickets). Glad you got your situation resolved in the long run!
Old Mar 21, 2020, 12:52 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TravelingNomads
I've been having good luck with the hotels that we purchased and even RyanAir both of which surprised me. Ironically, SAS is my least favorite resolution as it is only for a voucher and any replacement flights are going to cost me $1000+ per ticket (and I need 4 tickets). Glad you got your situation resolved in the long run!
I'm happy. I have a booking with RyanAir actually next month. It's next on my list of things to resolve. Hopefully they offer me a refund.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 12:38 am

I'm happy. I have a booking with RyanAir actually next month. It's next on my list of things to resolve. Hopefully they offer me a refund.

RyanAir's website is a little goofy. You can't directly click the "refund" button. You'll have to click your trip first (ignore the refund button there) and then go through the steps on the next page. You'll need to know whether it was RyanAir FR or UK and a few other details which were a pain for us to find since it wasn't on our itinerary or receipt. We finally found it by looking up other flights on a different day going to the same destination at the same time. I don't know if it's a way for them to persuade you to do the ticket exchange instead, but if you're willing to deal with the hassle you'll get refunded eventually.
Old Oct 4, 2020, 10:27 am
Suspended

Agoda cancels right away

I was planning on going to Iceland next month and I booked a crazy cheap hotel deal on Agoda almost a year ago. The booking is non-refundable. With this whole coronavirus situation, my flights got cancelled and I cannot make it to Iceland.

Agoda won't help me with my booking. All they can do is cancel my booking and AFTER contact the hotel to see if they can make an exception and refund my money. If the hotel says no, I'm out of luck.

I contacted the hotel directly and all they can offer is a voucher for the value of my stay. Given that their normal rate is 3-4 times more expensive than what I paid, I don't think this is fair as I could just lose my money and book at a different hotel for less. Would it be fair to ask for a voucher worth the amount of nights I paid for instead?
Curious if your agoda cancelled yours for free.
In my experience Agoda cancellation process is supper easy these days. They don't charge cancellation at all, I cancelled two "no cancellation/refund" booking for the past 3 months and they cancel it right away without charging my card.
Old Oct 11, 2020, 10:08 pm

We booked 3 nights in Carmel on Hotwire and due to COVID cancelled. I called up the Hotel and the manager honored the rate and kept us in the same upgraded room although we were were now going for 2 nights and Hotwire refunded us the entire charge. We saved over $300 and were so happy the Manager honored our rate booking directly and I even got a Bottle of Sparkling Wine as I was their first guest to check in since reopening at the Quail Lodge.

You may try calling the Hotel Directly after getting a refund with Agoda and negotiate that if you return you will promise to book directly and see if they can honor the Hotwire Rate.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.