Discount for bulk flights?

Old Feb 6, 20, 7:19 pm
tip
Original Poster

Discount for bulk flights?

I need to fly between NYC and Chicago every 2-3 weeks for the next 16-20 months. Mostly it would be flying out on Friday late afternoon and coming back on Sunday evening. Is there a way for me to buy tickets in bulk? That's about 32 flights on average.

If not, I'd be really grateful for any tips on saving money

Thank you!
Old Feb 7, 20, 1:08 am

Try https://optiontown.com/home_page.do?...cl=239;1;0&p=0

They do exactly what you want, assuming they cover your route.
Old Feb 8, 20, 1:11 pm
tip
Original Poster

Amazing site, thanks, Dilshad!

Sadly, they don't have my route.

I saw that United Airlines has a program for businesses called PassPlus. Apparently you need a minimum investment of $25,000 to receive up to a 20% discount.

Then, I found PassPlus for Individuals. (I can't post a link since I don't have 5 posts yet, but just google United PassPlus for Individuals)

They only need $10,000 up front. I'll have to do some more investigation to see if this might be useful for NYC to CHI, and whether Delta has a similar program.

After looking at the program, it doesn't seem like it's worth it.
Dilshad likes this.
Old Feb 8, 20, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tip View Post
I need to fly between NYC and Chicago every 2-3 weeks for the next 16-20 months. Mostly it would be flying out on Friday late afternoon and coming back on Sunday evening. Is there a way for me to buy tickets in bulk? That's about 32 flights on average.

If not, I'd be really grateful for any tips on saving money !
That is really not that unusual. That is only ~17-26 returns a year. For FT that's not a lot. 1000's if not more are doing similar trips to/from various destinations (~week ends). Many fly every week
The cheapest tickets will be inflexible.
If you to change some, if can be expensive. or buy a new ticket. One ways instead of returns is a an option.
Old Feb 8, 20, 1:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There are tons of people who commute 1-2/x week on that route.

I would be very careful about purchasing wholly inflexible tickets far in advance.
Yoshi212 likes this.
Old Feb 10, 20, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by tip View Post
Amazing site, thanks, Dilshad!

Sadly, they don't have my route.

I saw that United Airlines has a program for businesses called PassPlus. Apparently you need a minimum investment of $25,000 to receive up to a 20% discount.

Then, I found PassPlus for Individuals. (I can't post a link since I don't have 5 posts yet, but just google United PassPlus for Individuals)

They only need $10,000 up front. I'll have to do some more investigation to see if this might be useful for NYC to CHI, and whether Delta has a similar program.

After looking at the program, it doesn't seem like it's worth it.
founders card (membership) has some united discount, you can take a look at it

it may be wise to get united gold or higher - you get free SameDay Change (needs to have availability in same fare bucket though), which means if your plans change (and there's availability), you can change to an earlier flight

founders card may have some trial status (or status match/challenge)
Old Feb 15, 20, 7:55 am

Programs: AA MM; AS Gold; Nexion, LLC/Travel Leaders
Do you know a travel agent affiliated with one of the larger networks (Travel Leaders, Amex, CWT, etc)? They may have access to discounts on this route, depending on your preferred carrier. No need to pay for a founders membership to find these types of discounts.

Also, there are prepaid travel options like AA Airpass that will provide both flexibility and a discount off full-fare.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: