FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/online-travel-booking-bidding-agencies-204/)
-   -   Agency bookings with different airlines (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/online-travel-booking-bidding-agencies/2003263-agency-bookings-different-airlines.html)

duckdj88 Jan 8, 2020 12:33 am

Agency bookings with different airlines

Hi all!

I have booked 3 flights under a single 'booking' via an agent. I tend to do separate bookings via airlines (though previous experience with agents have been fine) but in this case it made more sense to use Skyscanner and one of the offers.

The booking is for 3 flights with 3 entirely separate carriers; am I correct in that each is totally independent? For example, if I missed flight 1, would flights 2 and 3 be unaffected (they are not connecting flights)

I know if I miss the outbound flight on a regular return ticket via the airline that it can cancel the return sector but in this case as I have 3 different flights spread over almost 2 weeks I don't expect that such issues would arise if one leg was missed

Thanks!

kentauta Jan 11, 2020 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by duckdj88 (Post 31922555)
Hi all!

I have booked 3 flights under a single 'booking' via an agent. I tend to do separate bookings via airlines (though previous experience with agents have been fine) but in this case it made more sense to use Skyscanner and one of the offers.

The booking is for 3 flights with 3 entirely separate carriers; am I correct in that each is totally independent? For example, if I missed flight 1, would flights 2 and 3 be unaffected (they are not connecting flights)

I know if I miss the outbound flight on a regular return ticket via the airline that it can cancel the return sector but in this case as I have 3 different flights spread over almost 2 weeks I don't expect that such issues would arise if one leg was missed

Thanks!

I believe that depends on whether those 3 flights belong to the same PNR or not. You can have multiple carriers/marketing airlines in one PNR. For example I had a combination of flights operated by AA and IB but with AA and AY flight numbers under one PNR.

Whether the subsequent flights get automatically cancelled or not depends on how you miss the preceding flight and whether the flights belong to the same PNR or not. In case of no show, I would believe they will be cancelled unless your flights are split into multiple PNRs. On the other hand, if a flight is missed due to delay/cancellation of flights under the same PNR, you should be fine but not with separate PNRs.

Try to find PNR(s) for the trip and look up itinerary from it/them and see how your flights are lumped to the PNR(s). Most likely its a single PNR, but it's good to confirm.

Often1 Jan 11, 2020 3:37 pm

PNRs are irrelevant, what matters are e-ticket numbers. Those are a 17-digit number in the form xxx-xxxxxxxxxxxxxx. If the same, then you are on one ticket and are protected for misconnects. If not, you are generally not protected and likely won't be able to check bags across tickets either.

What is your exact routing with carrier? With that, it is a lot easier to provide you with correct information for your ticket.

duckdj88 Jan 12, 2020 3:03 am

Thanks for the replies :)

I have 3 different PNRs and at least 2 different e-ticket numbers from the Airlines (albeit the agent 'e-ticket' number is the same, but I believe that is simply their reference).

On this particular matter I am not worried about missed connection, as there aren't really any to miss (several days between the flights) and the bags aren't a worry either for this reason.

If for whatever reason we did not take that first flight, or we had to arrange to leave China earlier than planned (this is all stemming from reading the odd horror story about TWOV), I would hope that we could make alternative plan to get to Taipei and then pick up on our itinerary from there and that the remaining 2 flights would be unaffected.

I dare say, if we did have that issue, we could call the agent and pay to change it anyway.