Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

Major results differences between ITA Matrix and Google Flights?

Major results differences between ITA Matrix and Google Flights?

Old Dec 24, 19, 9:57 pm
Original Poster

Exclamation Major results differences between ITA Matrix and Google Flights?

I had assumed (apparently incorrectly) that, both being Google, and both relying on the same underlying info (?) that they would come up with the same general results. However, I found very different results. Can anyone explain why? The larger implication is, do I need to try both going forward?

Here's a hypothetical trip. WAS-KZO from January 9-15, 2020, filtered for 2 stops. I didn't choose any other special options.

ITA gave me fares > $7000, while Google, for the same parameters, gave me options for ~$4000!

I also noticed something similar for another trip I recently booked IAD-LHR for 8 days in June, 2020, using ITA's calendar range to find the cheapest pair of dates. ITA gave me something ~$1000 as the best option (KLM codeshare on Virgin). I assumed that was the best I could do, and was about to purchase, but then I searched on Google just to compare and used the price graph feature and found another pair of dates in June (also 8 days) for ~$700 (AA codeshare on BA).

I used to trust ITA and never even bothered using any other search engine (I assumed it was the most complete and least biased). Now I'm not so sure. Has anyone else had this experience? Any suggestions?

Last edited by Marsh11; Dec 25, 19 at 2:41 am
Old Jan 31, 20, 8:54 am

OP - so what was/were your findings?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: