Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

Prices Jumping Up will they decrease?????

Old Dec 5, 19, 6:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines, Delta, Emirates

So I am Flying business class well at least thats the plan. I have been waiting to book my ticket because my fiancé always tells me to wait last minute because then prices will drop. For the dates that I want to leave they have jumped an extra $1000 dollars and im not sure if thats because im looking at them or if they just did. If my return flight is a day earlier then the price drops significantly but I dont want to leave a day earlier unless I absolutely have to because then its less time with my family. Should I continue to wait for the prices to drop or will they just keep increasing?

Any advice is much appreciated
Old Dec 5, 19, 2:24 pm

Programs: TK Elite, HH G
Your Q is impossible to answer. When is your travel dates? If in the near furture, the fare may not decrease. If several months out there is a very good chance that the fare will drop again at a later stage.

Sorry to tell you this but your spouse is wrong. On the contrary, in general fares are much more likely to increase closer to departure date (although admittedly, some times fares do in fact sometimes drop close to departure if there many seats available).
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 6, 19, 7:35 am

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
You could try searching on "flight alerts" and set up 5 or 6 of them. You'll get a message when the price drops. There are differences between how the various ones work. Some are easier to set up than others.

I do concur with SK ARR about prices usually not dropping toward the end. It used to be true, but hasn't been for quite a few years. Especially if you are within about a 21-day window.

I also concur that more details about your particular flight would help people help you.

However, one oddity can be that prices seem to go up on weekends and then come back down. That can be a matter of the cheaper seats selling out on weekends, and then the airlines offering more after the weekend is over.

I hope you are using a broader search like Google Flights, plus the airlines themselves.
Old Dec 6, 19, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines, Delta, Emirates
I ended up getting a good deal late at night. Thank you all for the replies. I use google flights to track prices and then also check other countries using a VPN to see if the price drops.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: