Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

LHR =>LED via Hopper cancelled by BA, help

Old Nov 21, 19, 6:28 pm
Original Poster

Trying to help my 3 friends who booked IAD => LHR => LED back in March. IAD => LHR is on VS, but LHR => LED was on BA and BA cancelled the route about a month after my friends booked. They're supposed to depart in 2 days. Nobody contacted them about BA dropping the route. Any ideas what to pursue? BA says get Hopper, VS says it isn't their problem (that's fine, makes sense), and Hopper is not responding.
Old Nov 21, 19, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 8fingeredflyer View Post
Trying to help my 3 friends who booked IAD => LHR => LED back in March. IAD => LHR is on VS, but LHR => LED was on BA and BA cancelled the route about a month after my friends booked. They're supposed to depart in 2 days. Nobody contacted them about BA dropping the route. Any ideas what to pursue? BA says get Hopper, VS says it isn't their problem (that's fine, makes sense), and Hopper is not responding.
How was this flight booked? Online travel agent OTA?
They may have separate ticket on VS & BA
BA would have contacted the TA

Great Circle Mapper

Edit (had never heard of OTA Hopper)
https://www.hopper.com/
Behind the bunny

Hopper is made up of hundreds of smart, creative, and inspired humans working to fundamentally change how the world books travel.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Nov 21, 19 at 9:18 pm
Old Nov 21, 19, 7:46 pm
Original Poster

They booked it through Hopper, but BA doesn't seem to have ever told Hopper. It's feeling like Hopper or a CC chargeback are their only options.

BA doesn't even seem to be able to view their tickets because they were booked through Hopper.
Old Nov 21, 19, 8:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Your friends need to deal with the TA they chose, e.g. Hopper.

How do you know that BA never notified Hopper if your friends can't even reach Hopper (and that presumes Hopper tells you the truth).

Understand that Hopper is not being responsive, but it does have 24/7 chat.

For the benefit of others,
1. Don't book through third-party vendors, especially those which do not even provide a phone number to call.
2. Check your tickets and reservations regularly. Having booked 8 months ago and not checking for that time invites trouble.
hhdl likes this.
Old Nov 22, 19, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Your friends need to deal with the TA they chose, e.g. Hopper.

How do you know that BA never notified Hopper if your friends can't even reach Hopper (and that presumes Hopper tells you the truth).

Understand that Hopper is not being responsive, but it does have 24/7 chat.

For the benefit of others,
1. Don't book through third-party vendors, especially those which do not even provide a phone number to call.
2. Check your tickets and reservations regularly. Having booked 8 months ago and not checking for that time invites trouble.
QFT.

No idea if BA told Hopper or not, you're right. Three Hopper agents picked up their case yesterday and then ghosted them at different times (Amanda, Tiffany, and Nicole). Finally an agent named Travis responded today and said "sorry, BA says refunds only, this isn't our fault we sold you a flight that was canceled 5 months ago and we didn't notice, so we aren't going to do anything other than offer you a full refund." What was weird is the same agent told one member of their party that BA wouldn't mind rebooking them on a different flight (LHR => DME), but they would be required to pay the $9K difference.

tl;dr Hopper feels they have no responsibility for notifying their customers of schedule changes/cancellations, accepts no responsibility when such changes occur, and refuses to assist customers in any way. Hopper is all the worst parts of having an intermediary, with none of the benefits. The full trip was cancelled and allegedly my friends will be getting full refunds.

tl;dr of tl;dr BOOK YOUR TRAVEL DIRECT
Old Nov 22, 19, 11:24 am
Original Poster

I did give my friends a bit of a lecture for not checking on their flights, but apparently all 3 of them had been checking via Hopper and VS intermittently since they bought the tickets in March and everything looked fine until a couple days ago. I completely agree with the advice to check your intl tickets often.
Old Nov 22, 19, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hopper feels they have no responsibility for notifying their customers of schedule changes/cancellations, accepts no responsibility when such changes occur, and refuses to assist customers in any way.
Hopper is all the worst parts of having an intermediary, with none of the benefits. The full trip was cancelled and allegedly my friends will be getting full refunds.
Just normal operating procedure for OTA's
Old Nov 27, 19, 8:03 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond
I did give my friends a bit of a lecture for not checking on their flights, but apparently all 3 of them had been checking via Hopper and VS intermittently since they bought the tickets in March and everything looked fine until a couple days ago. I completely agree with the advice to check your intl tickets often.
Something does not make sense... this flight was cancelled many months ago.... but not showing up on any website your friends checked until a few days ago? Does not make sense at all.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: