Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

Big Mistake trying to book flights with Expedia!

Old Sep 30, 19, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Gold

I am so angry. And I should have known before. Always book directly with the airline.

What was my mistake:
The flights on Expedia were around 5% cheaper than on the airline website.
Typed in my debit card data. Flight price was around EUR 4000.

After hitting the book button, these EUR 4000 were immediately deducted from my debit card account. However, a ticket was never issued. Instead an error message appeared that they have been problem with my payment card.

Now I am chasing to get the EUR 4000 refunded.
The airline tells me they cannot do anything. They can just see that flight booking failed through Expedia.
Expedia is claiming that there are very, very busy due to the Thomas Cook insolvency. It's nothing they can do as it is an automated process for a refund, which can take a while.
The card issueing bank responded that they cannot refund the EUR 4000, because the merchant may claim the money within the next month.
A chargeback cannot be initiated because the EUR 4000 were just blocked but not claimed yet. I did provide the bank with screenshots of the booking process failure.
Old Oct 1, 19, 4:04 am

Programs: TK Elite, HH G
I don't understand the fuss. If the amount was only blocked the charge will not appear because the sale was never completed. Any blocked amounts will disappear after a few days unless the vendor completes the sale/charge. Even if charged, Exp will most likely refund the amount at some stage, so you will be fine.

Appears to me to be a storm in tea cup.
M60_to_LGA likes this.
Old Oct 1, 19, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Appears to me to be a storm in tea cup.
these EUR 4000 were immediately deducted from my debit card account.
With a debit card those EUR 4000 are gone; debit card does not work like a credit card;
Often1 and nancypants like this.
Old Oct 1, 19, 4:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Not that it ought to have happened, but one should never use a debit card to purchase future services, whether that is from an air carrier or through a third-party vendor such as Expedia.

Yes, you will be made whole, but it will take a lot of time and work and you are out the EUR 4,000 until then. With a credit card, the "hold" would either never materialize as a charge or would have been temporarily credited through a chargeback pending investigation.
Yoshi212 and nancypants like this.
Old Oct 2, 19, 3:56 am

Programs: TK Elite, HH G
OK - I get it now. It was not a credit card, but why the h... did you use a debit card? That is beyond me and asking for troubles IMO.

Anyway rest assured that at some stage it will be fixed and the EUR 4,000 will be returned to you.
Let us move on.
tatterdema likes this.
Old Oct 2, 19, 4:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This thread title is misleading, as it suggests that Expedia somehow wronged the OP.
Old Oct 2, 19, 4:38 am
Original Poster

Well, the title says it was a mistake booking through Expedia. I stand by this.

When trying the book the exact same ticket directly with the airline (+5%) later on, the ticket was issued straight away and the money was deducted from the debit card. The only trouble is that I am out of EUR 8200 (Expedia failed booking EUR 4000 + airline direct booking EUR 4200); Expedia told me that the refund/release may happen after 30 days. And yes, for that I feel "wronged" by Expedia.

I was using a debit card, because it offers close to 0% foreign exchange fees. The credit card wants 1.75%. When talking about a ticket value EUR 4000, that's the reason why the debit card was used.

Moreover, I was able to claim Air Berlin-related chargebacks through that debit card before.
Old Oct 2, 19, 6:10 am

Originally Posted by warakorn View Post
Well, the title says it was a mistake booking through Expedia. I stand by this.

When trying the book the exact same ticket directly with the airline (+5%) later on, the ticket was issued straight away and the money was deducted from the debit card. The only trouble is that I am out of EUR 8200 (Expedia failed booking EUR 4000 + airline direct booking EUR 4200); Expedia told me that the refund/release may happen after 30 days. And yes, for that I feel "wronged" by Expedia.

I was using a debit card, because it offers close to 0% foreign exchange fees. The credit card wants 1.75%. When talking about a ticket value EUR 4000, that's the reason why the debit card was used.

Moreover, I was able to claim Air Berlin-related chargebacks through that debit card before.
Were the AB chargebacks in its insolvency?
Old Oct 3, 19, 2:54 am
Original Poster

No, it related to chargebacks made for flights that were booked/paid before the insolvency announcement, but the flight should have happened (but were cancelled) after the insolvency announcement;
Old Oct 3, 19, 12:57 pm

No, it related to chargebacks made for flights that were booked/paid before the insolvency announcement, but the flight should have happened (but were cancelled) after the insolvency announcement;
That would give you a different standing with your bank. When the reason the air carrier is unable to perform a flight is due to insolvency, you have full protection in most countries, and given the size of the AB situation, I suspect that by the time you contacted our bank, it had already flagged the AB transaction,.
Old Oct 5, 19, 6:11 pm

"Big Mistake trying to book flights with Expedia!"

should be changed to "Big Mistake using a debit card"

> And I should have known before. Always book directly with the airline.

this is correct, but it still doesn't protect against the underlying issue of using a debit card.

airline could have an IT hiccup, or unable to confirm reservation especially if a leg is code-shared on another airline. in those scenarios, your 4000EUR will still be taken (temporary) regardless

spend some time finding a 0% FTF credit card with 0 annual fee (if possible, i know it's not always available in every country)
Old Oct 7, 19, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

spend some time finding a 0% FTF credit card with 0 annual fee (if possible, i know it's not always available in every country)
I dont know of any in my country (Germany).
Old Oct 7, 19, 7:57 pm

I dont know of any in my country (Germany).
https://www.deutscheskonto.org/en/cr...n-fee-germany/
Old Oct 9, 19, 12:33 am
Original Poster

Thank you for the link.
However, I do not consider Advanzia Bank S.A. to be a very trustworthy bank (loan shark).
And Santander does not have a good reputation in Germany.

Anyhow, there are those banks who offer such credit card, but I am refusing to do business with them.

Last edited by warakorn; Oct 9, 19 at 12:41 am
Old Oct 9, 19, 12:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by paperwastage View Post
"Big Mistake trying to book flights with Expedia!"

should be changed to "Big Mistake using a debit card"
While I've certainly had negative experiences with Expedia, mostly on the (detached) customer service front, based on the current fact set, I'm inclined to agree with you that the OP's thread title is inappropriate.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: