Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

Help! Amoma is bankrupt and we booked a stay

Help! Amoma is bankrupt and we booked a stay

Old Sep 16, 19, 12:46 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Netherlands
Programs: British Airlines silver member
Posts: 48
Help! Amoma is bankrupt and we booked a stay

This Saturday me and my husband will be going to LAS and have a 7 day stay at the Venetian (he has to be at a conference for a couple of days and we will be celebrating our wedding anniversary). We booked a stay through Amoma, but when I tried to look at our reservation it went to a we no longer exist/cancellation page. So we called the Venetian were we supposed to stay and the reservation agent told us we had a confirmed and payed booking, but Amoma are cancelling bookings, so up to checking in we won't know if the booking will be active or cancelled. I don't know were to go from here , since our creditcard company needs to have a cancelled booking before doing something. I don't want to travel for 14+ hours to be standing at a frond desk and hear we haven't got a room. Any advice would be very welcome.
fromHollandwithlove is offline  
Old Sep 16, 19, 1:02 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: DL Silver, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BW Diamond
Posts: 26,037
Originally Posted by fromHollandwithlove View Post
This Saturday me and my husband will be going to LAS and have a 7 day stay at the Venetian (he has to be at a conference for a couple of days and we will be celebrating our wedding anniversary). We booked a stay through Amoma, but when I tried to look at our reservation it went to a we no longer exist/cancellation page. So we called the Venetian were we supposed to stay and the reservation agent told us we had a confirmed and payed booking, but Amoma are cancelling bookings, so up to checking in we won't know if the booking will be active or cancelled. I don't know were to go from here , since our creditcard company needs to have a cancelled booking before doing something. I don't want to travel for 14+ hours to be standing at a frond desk and hear we haven't got a room. Any advice would be very welcome.
Iíd certainly go, and deal with it if it happens. Donít let it ruin your trip. If you have any trip or travel insurance, that might cover you, too.
Jaimito Cartero is offline  
Old Sep 16, 19, 1:08 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Netherlands
Programs: British Airlines silver member
Posts: 48
Thank you Jaimito, but I really don't want to be travelling for hours to stand in front of the front desk and find out we have nowhere to sleep?
fromHollandwithlove is offline  
Old Sep 16, 19, 1:13 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: LHR
Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG PLT (LT Gold), TK Gold, M&M S, BA Silver, Hyatt Dia
Posts: 4,358
What card did you make your booking with?
ExpatSomchai is online now  
Old Sep 16, 19, 1:15 pm
  #5  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 42,940
Start by calling your card issuer. As Amoma is insovlent, it may well immediately refund your booking through the chargeback process. If it is willing to do this, call the property, confirm that the property will honor the rate, and then simply cut Anoma out, offer your card as payment and then call the card issuer bank and have them process the chargeback.
Often1 is online now  
Old Sep 16, 19, 1:24 pm
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: DL Silver, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BW Diamond
Posts: 26,037
Originally Posted by fromHollandwithlove View Post
Thank you Jaimito, but I really don't want to be travelling for hours to stand in front of the front desk and find out we have nowhere to sleep?
Unless you are going in an extraordinarily busy period, there will be plenty of rooms in Vegas.

If the room has been paid for, then you’ll lose the prepayment if you don’t show up. And the plane ticket, too.

I would contact the hotel again, and get a manager to see if they can guarantee you a room if Amoma does cancel it.
Jaimito Cartero is offline  
Old Sep 16, 19, 3:09 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: LHR
Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG PLT (LT Gold), TK Gold, M&M S, BA Silver, Hyatt Dia
Posts: 4,358
I had a similar thing happen a few years ago. Contacted the hotel, asked them to honor the booking and that I would pay directly if the OTA did not. Always able to charge back to CC to recoup losses.
ExpatSomchai is online now  
Old Sep 17, 19, 3:10 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Denmark
Programs: TK Elite, HH G
Posts: 5,503
Originally Posted by fromHollandwithlove View Post
Thank you Jaimito, but I really don't want to be travelling for hours to stand in front of the front desk and find out we have nowhere to sleep?
Do you have any choice? (unless you want to cancel and forfeit the amount you already paid to Amoma).

I'm actually surprised that you were informed that the hotel has already been paid. Normally, the OTA will collect your payment when the reservation is made but will not pay to the hotel until shortly before or after the stay. That is why many other Amoma customers in your situation are now facing that the hotel (rather than Amoma) will cancel the reservations because the hotel will not get paid. I find it unlikely that Amoma will suddenly start cancelling reservations if already paid to the hotel, but again I wonder if the information you received from the hotel is correct - I think there is much higher risk that the hotel will cancel your reservation because there is no prospect of getting paid from Amoma.

I second the above poster. Contact the hotel, offer to pay directly to hotel and contact your credit card for a "charge back" due to the vendor being insolvent and not honoring their obligations.
SK AAR is offline  
Old Sep 17, 19, 3:20 am
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Netherlands
Programs: British Airlines silver member
Posts: 48
We called our credit card company (Mastercard). They will try a charge back and will probably get the papers for it next week? I will call again to the Venetian tonight. The first reservation agent could find our booking, but the other two agents we called to check if we could get Amoma out of the booking told us they couldn't find anything under the booking number. We will have to call at 7:30 (16:30 our time) to see if the billing department can tell us different. Everyone thanks for the advice!!!

To be continued

Last edited by fromHollandwithlove; Sep 17, 19 at 3:26 am
fromHollandwithlove is offline  
Old Sep 17, 19, 3:32 am
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Netherlands
Programs: British Airlines silver member
Posts: 48
Originally Posted by SK AAR View Post
Do you have any choice? (unless you want to cancel and forfeit the amount you already paid to Amoma).

I'm actually surprised that you were informed that the hotel has already been paid. Normally, the OTA will collect your payment when the reservation is made but will not pay to the hotel until shortly before or after the stay. That is why many other Amoma customers in your situation are now facing that the hotel (rather than Amoma) will cancel the reservations because the hotel will not get paid. I find it unlikely that Amoma will suddenly start cancelling reservations if already paid to the hotel, but again I wonder if the information you received from the hotel is correct - I think there is much higher risk that the hotel will cancel your reservation because there is no prospect of getting paid from Amoma.

I second the above poster. Contact the hotel, offer to pay directly to hotel and contact your credit card for a "charge back" due to the vendor being insolvent and not honoring their obligations.
Yes, the first agent looked for our reservation by name. The other agent I spoke told me they never do this, because there is no way checking it's me on the phone. Also the first agent could find the booking and that it was payed for. The others told us they couldn't find any reservation under the number and that they were very sorry and could book a new room for 295 a night without taxes and resortfee. All agents on the Phone told us that Amoma was cancelling bookings. Very strange, unless they will get money back from doing this? I really don't get it, but maybe that's because I'm blond ;-)
fromHollandwithlove is offline  
Old Sep 17, 19, 3:39 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Denmark
Programs: TK Elite, HH G
Posts: 5,503
I'm not surprised that you are being told that Amoma is cancelling reservations. I think the truth is that the hotels are cancelling reservations. It is much easier to tell guests that others cancelled the reservations than explaining that the hotel did it/will do it, i.e. easier to blame others for the mess.
SK AAR is offline  
Old Sep 17, 19, 3:42 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Denmark
Programs: TK Elite, HH G
Posts: 5,503
Originally Posted by fromHollandwithlove View Post
Very strange, unless they will get money back from doing this?
I doubt any hotel will accept to make a refund to an insolvent/bankrupt entity knowing that afterwards the hotel will face angry customers which have lost their (prepaid) reservations.
SK AAR is offline  
Old Sep 17, 19, 3:48 am
  #13  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Netherlands
Programs: British Airlines silver member
Posts: 48
Originally Posted by SK AAR View Post
I doubt any hotel will accept to make a refund to an insolvent/bankrupt entity knowing that afterwards the hotel will face angry customers which have lost their (prepaid) reservations.

I think you are right. Letís hope we can get a clear answer tonight when calling if the booking
is payed for or not (and if not payed the will honor
the rate and let us book direct).
fromHollandwithlove is offline  
Old Sep 17, 19, 4:24 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 209
Yeah, I'd assume at the very least, the Venetian will honor the rate and give you a room at that rate, even in case of a cancelled booking. It's not a Days Inn or Motel 6.
speed.skater is offline  
Old Sep 17, 19, 4:26 am
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: DL Silver, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BW Diamond
Posts: 26,037
Originally Posted by speed.skater View Post
Yeah, I'd assume at the very least, the Venetian will honor the rate and give you a room at that rate, even in case of a cancelled booking. It's not a Days Inn or Motel 6.
I wouldnít bet on that, honestly. They would maximize profit, unless you can talk to a manager, or shame them.
Jaimito Cartero is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread