Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Priceline

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2019, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

Priceline

I've used Priceline for easily over 10 years now to bid on hotels, as well as using their Express option to choose hotels.

It seems like though they are trying to get people not to bid anymore. I cannot remember the last time that Priceline accepted one of my bids. Even if it's slightly below than the Express option, they want you to book Express.

Has anyone else noticed this? I've also noticed that when bidding, they will send the "if you raise your offer to $$$, you will win the bid (something like that)". The offer that they are encouraging you to submit is typically higher than the one available in Express (usually, not always it's the same property anyway thanks to BetterBidding).
Old Sep 17, 2019, 5:41 am
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
They've definitely made the bidding process much less lucrative than it used to be, and even gone as far as nearly completely removing any links to bidding (they're still there, but you really have to search for it to find it).

My last several hotel stays have all been with Hotwire or with PL's Express option. It wouldn't surprise me if the NYOP model is all but extinct within the next year or two.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
I have stopped using PL NYOP years ago - no longer any significant savings to be made.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 11:33 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Sometimes when you try to book an Express Deal, you get the message that it's no longer available. And then you go back, and that SAME deal is STILL being offered.

In cases such as that, you can usually still get that Express Deal via bidding. But that's been about the only way I've used bidding the past couple of years. Too bad; I got a lot of enjoyment out of it.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 8:18 am

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
I've also been watching it slipping away for several years. Very sad to me, as it perfectly fit my needs. I like a reasonably nice place, but valued the surprise and trying something different much more. Traveling by myself, and not having any really particular specific needs other than a clean safe place, it worked wonderfully.

And the bidding process was just plain fun.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 6:26 pm

Programs: AS MVP
They pushed bidding only via app so they don't have to pay commission for low margin name your own price reservations on main site.

While bidding link is no longer accessible on priceline site, it's still available via below link. I just tried and successfully bided a hotel.

https://www.priceline.com/hotels/startOffer.do?

I've been using priceline since 2003 and have gotten many good deals over the years. It really have allowed to affordably enjoy 4* hotels at 2* prices.

Lately with Express deal, I find that using the 10% discount code (which you received after travel dates on each flight or hotel reservation) makes bidding less worthwhile.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 8:54 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by lo2e
...and even gone as far as nearly completely removing any links to bidding (they're still there, but you really have to search for it to find it).
Can anyone point me to how to get to the bidding page? When I click on the 'Name Your Own Price' link at the bottom it just takes me back to the regular hotel booking page. Am I missing something?
Old Jan 12, 2020, 9:07 am
Ambassador, New England

Originally Posted by srodr
Can anyone point me to how to get to the bidding page? When I click on the 'Name Your Own Price' link at the bottom it just takes me back to the regular hotel booking page. Am I missing something?
I haven't had a need for it the last few months, but I just went to look for it now and it looks like bidding is exclusively on the PL app now, no longer available on the website.

I saw one report that it's very difficult to do bidding on the app too, so it's pretty much dead at this point.

Edit to add: I just noticed flyingstudent's post right above yours that gives you a link to get straight to NYOP, but for a couple of random cities I put in, the map feature on the page where you select zones wasn't working.

Last edited by lo2e; Jan 12, 2020 at 9:50 am
Old Jan 13, 2020, 10:01 am
Ambassador, New England

BiddingForTravel.com officially ended as of January 1st, 2020: https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/bidd...9.html#p349854

While I won't shed too many tears about the departure of BFT (and based on the many comments shared previously in this forum, there likely aren't a huge number here that would either), the sharp decline and then virtual disappearance of Name Your Own Price is saddening, as I honestly thought at various times that it might last forever. I've easily saved thousands of dollars over the years (vis-a-vis what I would have paid for the same places through conventional means); and many times I paid the same amount or less than the cheapest possible accommodations in a given place but got a much, much nicer property to stay in.

It appears BetterBidding is still alive, but definitely not as active as it used to be.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 6:00 pm
Ambassador, New England

Update: flyingstudent's link above no longer brings you to NYOP, so it is officially app-only now.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 1:24 am

Programs: AS MVP
Looks like the app only name of your own feature changed too. It's now a subset of express deal. Priceline bidding for hotels is officially dead.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 3:59 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by flyingstudent
Looks like the app only name of your own feature changed too. It's now a subset of express deal. Priceline bidding for hotels is officially dead.
What's your take on what has happened to pricing levels with this change from becoming a subset of PCLN's Express Deals?
Old May 9, 2021, 6:43 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
I think Priceline still prices Express Deals competitively, but the Fees are pretty variable. I encourage people signing up for their mailing lists to get coupon codes for Express Deals. I don't think you can get the rock bottom price like bidding, but with coupon codes, it shouldn't be too hard to get to at cost or slightly below cost.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.