Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

When hotels overbook, do they cancel Expedia reservations?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2019, 8:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Expedia is offering very good 100% cancellable rates at the Ameron Luzern Hotel Flora for 6 nights in the middle of next April. I am interested in a deluxe double room on my trip to Switzerland. The hotel has 161 rooms and does apparently attract tour groups. I like the location & the reviews of the rooms.

I have never booked with Expedia before but I have with Priceline, Hotwire & Booking.com although it has been a while. I read on websites like Rick Steves forum that when the Ameron overbooks rooms due to a group coming in, the hotel will cancel Expedia reservations first.

Has anybody here had their Expedia reservations canceled for reasons of overbooking or anything else?

Moreover, is mid-April just after Easter a popular time for travel groups to come to Luzern? Maybe it is for business conferences/conventions?

This far in advance, I would prefer booking with a cancelable rate and Expedia offers the least expensive price that I could find so far with that option.

Should I book with Expedia? I appreciate your advice on this. Thank you.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
The chance that the hotel is overbooked and randomly cancels Exp bookings without providing any acceptable solutions, is close to zero. If the rate is right, I suggest to go ahead and book. There is absolutely no reason to worry about your reservation not being honored.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SK AAR
The chance that the hotel is overbooked and randomly cancels Exp bookings without providing any acceptable solutions, is close to zero. If the rate is right, I suggest to go ahead and book. There is absolutely no reason to worry about your reservation not being honored.
Thank you. I appreciate that. It sounds like you've booked with Expedia in the past?
Old Sep 3, 2019, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by Analise
Thank you. I appreciate that. It sounds like you've booked with Expedia in the past?
Yeah, I have had hotel reservations with Exp, Orbitz, Bookings.com, Agoda etc in the past. Never experienced any issues like the one you are concerned about.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SK AAR
Yeah, I have had hotel reservations with Exp, Orbitz, Bookings.com, Agoda etc in the past. Never experienced any issues like the one you are concerned about.
That's great to know.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 7:02 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
That would be quite cheeky of a hotel to cancel a prepaid rate.

They would get in trouble with the hotel booking platform.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by warakorn
That would be quite cheeky of a hotel to cancel a prepaid rate.

They would get in trouble with the hotel booking platform.
not really

happened once to me (during snowstorm with airport closed), hotel mentioned that their availability wasn't updated properly with OTA (expected that, low availability across any OTA/1st party due to snowstorm)

OTA did refund and gave me 10% as credit towards next booking
Old Sep 7, 2019, 8:17 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by paperwastage
not really

happened once to me (during snowstorm with airport closed), hotel mentioned that their availability wasn't updated properly with OTA (expected that, low availability across any OTA/1st party due to snowstorm)

OTA did refund and gave me 10% as credit towards next booking
Yes, but did the hotel or OTA find you an acceptable room?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.