Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

Hotels.com $5 for Redeeming Reward Nights

Old Aug 29, 19, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest

So I just got this gem from hotels.com:

“We want to let you know we’re making some changes to our loyalty program, Hotels.com® Rewards.

From 11/27/2019, there’ll be a redemption fee of $5 for every reward night1 redeemed; howeverno redemption fee will apply if reward nights are redeemed using the Hotels.com app.

We’re making this change to cover some of the costs of running the program, so more than 43 million Hotels.com Rewards members can continue to benefit from the program.

So, every time you collect 10 nights, you’ll get 1 reward night. You pay the redemption fee, as well as the usual taxes and fees. Also, remember, you won't have to pay a redemption fee when you redeem on the Hotels.com app.”

Cover the costs of running the program? What, their commissions didn’t already do that? And how does it cost them less if you redeem your reward through the app instead of the desktop site?

Since I mostly use hotels.com for low-end stays, this significantly affects the value proposition of their reward program for me.
Old Aug 29, 19, 2:02 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, BAEC, Avios, Alaska, SAS Eurobonus, DL Skymiles, IHG Priority, Best Western Rewards
I'm cool with this. I'll just book cash rates on the website through Topcashback or BA's portal, then redeem through the app.
Old Aug 29, 19, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Sure, I’ll avoid the fee too by booking my last remaining free night through the app, but it’s a pointless and unnecessary inconvenience, so I’ll probably just be done with them entirely after that.
Old Aug 29, 19, 2:12 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, BAEC, Avios, Alaska, SAS Eurobonus, DL Skymiles, IHG Priority, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by strickerj View Post
Sure, I’ll avoid the fee too by booking my last remaining free night through the app, but it’s a pointless and unnecessary inconvenience, so I’ll probably just be done with them entirely after that.
I can understand it's annoying if you don't generally use the app. I do have the app as it's a handy reference point for upcoming stays and I do usually redeem through it, but if you prefer not to use the app I can see how this is a hassle.
strickerj likes this.
Old Aug 29, 19, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

Yeah, I usually plan my trips well in advance from my desktop PC. I think only once I booked through the app because we were on a road trip where we didn’t know exactly where we’d end each day.

And I’ve already noted an increase in properties on hotels.com not participating in free night redemptions (only earning, if at all), so this is a further devaluation to me.
Old Aug 29, 19, 3:24 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, IHG Gold, SPG
This is a slippery slope and likely means that Hotels.com will be adding the fee to their app in the future. Why didn't they simply raise the number of nights for a free hotel?
strickerj likes this.
Old Aug 29, 19, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by ChinaShrek View Post
This is a slippery slope and likely means that Hotels.com will be adding the fee to their app in the future. Why didn't they simply raise the number of nights for a free hotel?
Hopefully this is just a ruse to encourage use of the app.
strickerj likes this.
Old Sep 9, 19, 1:20 pm

Recently (6 months ago or so) they had a survey which had plenty of questions like 'would you like an idea giving some extra perks/discounts when using mobile app?'. Answered no everywhere, but it looks they have their own vision Now they start with redemption, next step is gonna be collection?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: