Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

Expedia listing errors - $800+lost; why not to use third party booking sites

Old Aug 26, 19, 6:26 am
Original Poster

I had three Expedia mishaps this summer costing me over US$800. Expedia took responsibility for none of them.

1. At the Swissotel in Osaka, I booked a room for 3 people on Expedia and my booking reflected we would be 3 guests. On arrival the hotel charged me an extra $120 for the third person. Expedia had not disclosed the extra fee. When I appealed to Expedia about the error they disclaimed any responsibility and said that had I looked at the hotel's own website I could have found the extra charge. $120 lost.

2. I booked an apartment in Oslo on Expedia. Several days before my arrival I emailed the property asking about arrival technicalities. The property did not reply. On the arrival day I phoned the property in the morning and at the property did not answer. I phoned the property several times. Then I called Expedia and they tried phoning the property. The property did not answer them either. The Expedia customer service person told me I'd get a full refund and that I could book alternative accommodation. I did book an alternative. Now nearly a month later Expedia has not refunded the $500 for the apartment and they are stating that I had tried calling the property too early in the day. They deny responsibility for telling me to book an alternative property and that I'd get a full refund.

3. I booked a hotel in Bordeaux for a hot August stay that listed air conditioning as a feature of the room. On arrival the room did not have air conditioning. The property refused to refund the room and Expedia denied responsibility. This was a $200+ stay.

During my efforts to escalate these issues with Expedia a level 2 supervisor gave me a $200 Expedia coupon for all my troubles this summer. I lost $800+ and Expedia took $200 of responsiblity.

I've never had a problem with hotel direct web sites. From now on I'll be booking directly, not via a third party. When you think about it Expedia's behavior makes sense - their customers are the properties who pay them hefty booking fees, not the sucker travelers who use their site.
Old Aug 26, 19, 6:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Friends don't let friends book through opaque third-party vendors such as Expedia. The more this is hammered home, the better off you (and others who read this) will be. Everything is fine except when it is not,

You have an easy resolution to #2 . That is a simple chargeback on your CC for a service not delivered.
Old Aug 26, 19, 8:16 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Moving to the Online Travel Agencies forum for further discussion. Thanks. /JY1024, TravelBuzz moderator
Old Aug 29, 19, 2:08 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Iíd try a chargeback for all 3 (just the excess amounts, not the total). The contract is between you and the travel agency, and they should be expected to disclose all terms and fees rather than claiming you could have checked with the property directly - thatís what the agent is for.
Old Aug 31, 19, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by PaulSEA1 View Post
I had three Expedia mishaps this summer costing me over US$800. Expedia took responsibility for none of them.

1. At the Swissotel in Osaka, I booked a room for 3 people on Expedia and my booking reflected we would be 3 guests. On arrival the hotel charged me an extra $120 for the third person. Expedia had not disclosed the extra fee. When I appealed to Expedia about the error they disclaimed any responsibility and said that had I looked at the hotel's own website I could have found the extra charge. $120 lost.

2. I booked an apartment in Oslo on Expedia. Several days before my arrival I emailed the property asking about arrival technicalities. The property did not reply. On the arrival day I phoned the property in the morning and at the property did not answer. I phoned the property several times. Then I called Expedia and they tried phoning the property. The property did not answer them either. The Expedia customer service person told me I'd get a full refund and that I could book alternative accommodation. I did book an alternative. Now nearly a month later Expedia has not refunded the $500 for the apartment and they are stating that I had tried calling the property too early in the day. They deny responsibility for telling me to book an alternative property and that I'd get a full refund.

3. I booked a hotel in Bordeaux for a hot August stay that listed air conditioning as a feature of the room. On arrival the room did not have air conditioning. The property refused to refund the room and Expedia denied responsibility. This was a $200+ stay.

During my efforts to escalate these issues with Expedia a level 2 supervisor gave me a $200 Expedia coupon for all my troubles this summer. I lost $800+ and Expedia took $200 of responsiblity.

I've never had a problem with hotel direct web sites. From now on I'll be booking directly, not via a third party. When you think about it Expedia's behavior makes sense - their customers are the properties who pay them hefty booking fees, not the sucker travelers who use their site.
The question I have for you and others is how much more would it have costed you to book direct? If you paid just a little bit more granted its not a non refundable rate directly from the vendor I am sure you would have your $800 back quicker and more chance of you getting reimbursed directly from the vendor.

You pay Expedia then Expedia in turn pays the vendor the same is true for a refund. Expedia requests the refund from the Vendor. The Vendor has a time period like 60 Days to reply and then Expedia will refund you but then it can take a few billing cycles. All this for saving some dough!

I hope you learned your lesson and hope you get your $800 back.
Old Aug 31, 19, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by PaulSEA1 View Post

The question I have for you and others is how much more would it have costed you to book direct? If you paid just a little bit more granted its not a non refundable rate directly from the vendor I am sure you would have your $800 back quicker and more chance of you getting reimbursed directly from the vendor.

You pay Expedia then Expedia in turn pays the vendor the same is true for a refund. Expedia requests the refund from the Vendor. The Vendor has a time period like 60 Days to reply and then Expedia will refund you but then it can take a few billing cycles. All this for saving some dough!

I hope you learned your lesson and hope you get your $800 back.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: