Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WAS-JNB keeps showing dud fares?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2019, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

WAS-JNB keeps showing dud fares?

I've been looking at flights from Washington, DC to Johannesburg, South Africa for the last few weeks, with travel dates around 12/25 - 1/9. I'm using multiple OTAs like Kayak, Skyscanner, etc. that keep showing cheap fares (with each OTA showing different airlines/fares) except when you click through to the carrier's website those flights are available but none of them are actually at the price listed on the OTA website. What's going on here? Usually, don't have a problem like this....
Old Jul 19, 2019, 9:16 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Have you tried booking through the OTA where the fare was found...it's possible they have a special (non-published) fare, but also possible it's a technical glitch.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 9:27 pm
Original Poster

Kayak showed a fare for air France that took me direct to their website. The times was available but the cheap fare was not as listed. Skyscanner showed me British and same thing happened, took me directly to BA website but the cheapest fare on Skyscanner wasnt availble as a flight time, and all other fares were way more expensive.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 1:28 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by frostin
Kayak showed a fare for air France that took me direct to their website. The times was available but the cheap fare was not as listed. Skyscanner showed me British and same thing happened, took me directly to BA website but the cheapest fare on Skyscanner wasnt availble as a flight time, and all other fares were way more expensive.
I have not used Skyscanner a lot, but I can tell you from using Kayak that results presented can often be "stale" and not reflective of a live availability search. ITA Matrix is a better proxy for what legitimate, published fares are available at any given time (although there is phantom availability in their results at time also--sometimes itineraries are returned that are not bookable due to married segment logic or some other glitch).
Old Jul 22, 2019, 4:22 am

Programs: BAEC OW Gold/Emerald
Originally Posted by frostin
Which cabin are you looking at? Just searched on AA for dates you shared and the cheapest fares in the 4 cabins are in GBP £813, £1619, £3271 and £19,211

Last edited by IntVic; Jul 22, 2019 at 4:28 am
Old Jul 22, 2019, 11:58 am
Original Poster

I just checked aa and the cheapest was $1468. I just ended up going to ba and getting it for $1090, which is still more than your 813 gbp. Probably shouldve paid the $10 to hold the fare for 3 days? but dont think there'll be any cheaper flights in the next 2-3 days anyhow...
Old Jul 23, 2019, 5:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If you can see the fare code or at least the booking class for the fares you find in a search, you can then check fare class availability on EF to see whether the fare you want is sold out on one or more of the flights. If everything looks OK, you could dig further by looking at the detailed fare rules to see if there's something that makes you ineligible for the fare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.