Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

Orbitz is my go-to OTA. Am I missing something?

Old Jun 26, 19, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlatAmb, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Gold

I typically don't use OTA's for booking anything other than hotels that are unaffiliated with one of my chains where I have elite status. However, when I am using an OTA, my go-to is usually Orbitz with all else being equal. I like Orbucks and I primarily like the 10% Off (used to be 15% - 20% off) coupons that are easily found.

I know Hotels.com has the 1-free night after 10 nights deal, but I found that I couldn't always get to ten nights booked via an OTA over the course of a year. I prefer getting my 10% off on the front end.

However, is there a better deal to be had with other OTA's? Hotels, Expedia, Travelocity, Booking, etc. I generally shy away from some of the sketchier ones. If prices are otherwise equal, I find myself sticking with Orbitz.
Old Jun 27, 19, 7:38 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
I havenít used Orbitz in a long time (I never booked through them but used to use their search engine), but on paper, Expediaís rewards are considerably less generous than Hotels.com (which Expedia also owns), and Iíve been having trouble using Hotels.com free nights. (Iím finding a lot of properties that donít participate in the program or are accrue only, not available for redemptions.)

Because of that, along with the discounts the major hotel chains offer their own members, Iíve just signed up for every chainís loyalty program and book directly now.
Old Jul 4, 19, 1:47 am

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by OskiBear View Post
I typically don't use OTA's for booking anything other than hotels that are unaffiliated with one of my chains where I have elite status. However, when I am using an OTA, my go-to is usually Orbitz with all else being equal. I like Orbucks and I primarily like the 10% Off (used to be 15% - 20% off) coupons that are easily found.

I know Hotels.com has the 1-free night after 10 nights deal, but I found that I couldn't always get to ten nights booked via an OTA over the course of a year. I prefer getting my 10% off on the front end.

However, is there a better deal to be had with other OTA's? Hotels, Expedia, Travelocity, Booking, etc. I generally shy away from some of the sketchier ones. If prices are otherwise equal, I find myself sticking with Orbitz.
cheaptickets is usually the same price as Orbitz, but 16% discount codes normally, sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less.
Old Jul 4, 19, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlatAmb, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by tatterdema View Post
cheaptickets is usually the same price as Orbitz, but 16% discount codes normally, sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less.
Good to know, I'll to check that out. I guess it all comes out in the wash - Orbitz has 10% discount codes + 5% Orbucks if you book using the app. There's also TopCashBack available

Is cheaptickets owned by the same people that own Orbitz?
Old Jul 5, 19, 12:39 am

Programs: HH Silver
Good to know, I'll to check that out. I guess it all comes out in the wash - Orbitz has 10% discount codes + 5% Orbucks if you book using the app. There's also TopCashBack available

Is cheaptickets owned by the same people that own Orbitz?
Yes, they are all owned by Expedia, hotels.com included.
Old Jul 15, 19, 1:34 am

Programs: AAdvantage (peon)
Orbitz used to be unique in constantly having 10 or 15% off codes available, but now it seems like hotels.com (and possibly other Expedia properties) have them too. I’ve generally used Orbitz but might now consider hotels.com since the free night seems more appealing than Orbitz’s perks (I’m already on track to max out status on Orbitz, and hardly any hotel participates in VIP perks). For Europe I’ve often used booking.com, whose status (which gives 10% or 15% off at many hotels) is based on a low # of lifetime stays (and currently doesn’t expire on an annual basis).
Old Jul 15, 19, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by armus View Post
Orbitz used to be unique in constantly having 10 or 15% off codes available, but now it seems like hotels.com (and possibly other Expedia properties) have them too. Iíve generally used Orbitz but might now consider hotels.com since the free night seems more appealing than Orbitzís perks (Iím already on track to max out status on Orbitz, and hardly any hotel participates in VIP perks). For Europe Iíve often used booking.com, whose status (which gives 10% or 15% off at many hotels) is based on a low # of lifetime stays (and currently doesnít expire on an annual basis).
I didn't know that about Booking.com
I've used them on occasion when they had a room no one else did. I'll have to investigate where I stand on the lifetime stays.
Old Jul 15, 19, 4:10 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks

Programs: Metro-North Rubbish, Keisei Skinflint, KCR Headphones, Kopaja Platinum
I didn't know that about Booking.com
I've used them on occasion when they had a room no one else did. I'll have to investigate where I stand on the lifetime stays.
Booking has been good sometimes (e.g. when you don't want to pay up front), but I think their customer service sucks.

Also, they're better for non-US locations, IME (makes sense, I guess since they're Dutch.)

Search this Thread