FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/online-travel-booking-bidding-agencies-204/)
-   -   Orbitz is my go-to OTA. Am I missing something? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/online-travel-booking-bidding-agencies/1975738-orbitz-my-go-ota-am-i-missing-something.html)

OskiBear Jun 26, 2019 12:10 pm

Orbitz is my go-to OTA. Am I missing something?

I typically don't use OTA's for booking anything other than hotels that are unaffiliated with one of my chains where I have elite status. However, when I am using an OTA, my go-to is usually Orbitz with all else being equal. I like Orbucks and I primarily like the 10% Off (used to be 15% - 20% off) coupons that are easily found.

I know Hotels.com has the 1-free night after 10 nights deal, but I found that I couldn't always get to ten nights booked via an OTA over the course of a year. I prefer getting my 10% off on the front end.

However, is there a better deal to be had with other OTA's? Hotels, Expedia, Travelocity, Booking, etc. I generally shy away from some of the sketchier ones. If prices are otherwise equal, I find myself sticking with Orbitz.

strickerj Jun 27, 2019 7:38 pm

I haven’t used Orbitz in a long time (I never booked through them but used to use their search engine), but on paper, Expedia’s rewards are considerably less generous than Hotels.com (which Expedia also owns), and I’ve been having trouble using Hotels.com free nights. (I’m finding a lot of properties that don’t participate in the program or are accrue only, not available for redemptions.)

Because of that, along with the discounts the major hotel chains offer their own members, I’ve just signed up for every chain’s loyalty program and book directly now.

tatterdema Jul 4, 2019 1:47 am

Originally Posted by OskiBear (Post 31242302)
I typically don't use OTA's for booking anything other than hotels that are unaffiliated with one of my chains where I have elite status. However, when I am using an OTA, my go-to is usually Orbitz with all else being equal. I like Orbucks and I primarily like the 10% Off (used to be 15% - 20% off) coupons that are easily found.

I know Hotels.com has the 1-free night after 10 nights deal, but I found that I couldn't always get to ten nights booked via an OTA over the course of a year. I prefer getting my 10% off on the front end.

However, is there a better deal to be had with other OTA's? Hotels, Expedia, Travelocity, Booking, etc. I generally shy away from some of the sketchier ones. If prices are otherwise equal, I find myself sticking with Orbitz.

cheaptickets is usually the same price as Orbitz, but 16% discount codes normally, sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less.

OskiBear Jul 4, 2019 9:03 am

Originally Posted by tatterdema (Post 31268135)
cheaptickets is usually the same price as Orbitz, but 16% discount codes normally, sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less.

Good to know, I'll to check that out. I guess it all comes out in the wash - Orbitz has 10% discount codes + 5% Orbucks if you book using the app. There's also TopCashBack available

Is cheaptickets owned by the same people that own Orbitz?

tatterdema Jul 5, 2019 12:39 am

Originally Posted by OskiBear (Post 31269036)
Good to know, I'll to check that out. I guess it all comes out in the wash - Orbitz has 10% discount codes + 5% Orbucks if you book using the app. There's also TopCashBack available

Is cheaptickets owned by the same people that own Orbitz?

Yes, they are all owned by Expedia, hotels.com included.

armus Jul 15, 2019 1:34 am

Orbitz used to be unique in constantly having 10 or 15% off codes available, but now it seems like hotels.com (and possibly other Expedia properties) have them too. I’ve generally used Orbitz but might now consider hotels.com since the free night seems more appealing than Orbitz’s perks (I’m already on track to max out status on Orbitz, and hardly any hotel participates in VIP perks). For Europe I’ve often used booking.com, whose status (which gives 10% or 15% off at many hotels) is based on a low # of lifetime stays (and currently doesn’t expire on an annual basis).

OskiBear Jul 15, 2019 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by armus (Post 31304411)
Orbitz used to be unique in constantly having 10 or 15% off codes available, but now it seems like hotels.com (and possibly other Expedia properties) have them too. I’ve generally used Orbitz but might now consider hotels.com since the free night seems more appealing than Orbitz’s perks (I’m already on track to max out status on Orbitz, and hardly any hotel participates in VIP perks). For Europe I’ve often used booking.com, whose status (which gives 10% or 15% off at many hotels) is based on a low # of lifetime stays (and currently doesn’t expire on an annual basis).

I didn't know that about Booking.com
I've used them on occasion when they had a room no one else did. I'll have to investigate where I stand on the lifetime stays.

BuildingMyBento Jul 15, 2019 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by OskiBear (Post 31306371)
I didn't know that about Booking.com
I've used them on occasion when they had a room no one else did. I'll have to investigate where I stand on the lifetime stays.

Booking has been good sometimes (e.g. when you don't want to pay up front), but I think their customer service sucks.

Also, they're better for non-US locations, IME (makes sense, I guess since they're Dutch.)