Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

Undisclosed Resort Fee on Priceline Express Deal - any recourse?

Old Jun 24, 19, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

I found an attractive Priceline Express Deal (blind purchase) on a 4.5-star hotel in Washington DC. The total did not list a resort fee. Usually, if there is an amenities or resort fee, it is listed. After researching which hotel it is, I discovered this particular hotel does charge a resort fee. I haven't stayed at this property yet. Will Priceline eat this resort fee? Is there a process to submit it for reimbursement?
Old Jun 26, 19, 3:05 am

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by wearble View Post
I found an attractive Priceline Express Deal (blind purchase) on a 4.5-star hotel in Washington DC. The total did not list a resort fee. Usually, if there is an amenities or resort fee, it is listed. After researching which hotel it is, I discovered this particular hotel does charge a resort fee. I haven't stayed at this property yet. Will Priceline eat this resort fee? Is there a process to submit it for reimbursement?
I would deal with it BEFORE staying, but that just me being pro-active. I never wait when I can do something in advance. I would call the hotel. If they are going to charge you, I would call priceline. Below is from their T & C's on Express Deals...
  1. For hotels that charge mandatory fees, you will be told both a) the Total Priceline Charges to your method of payment and b) the total cost, which includes the Total Priceline Charges and the Hotel Mandatory Fee which the hotel will charge at check out. Your Total Charges and the Room Rate may include compensation to priceline.com for our facilitation services.
Old Jun 26, 19, 7:22 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold
I had a similar case a couple of years ago.
The resort fee was paid during check-in at the hotel. However, I have convinced my card issuer to get the money back via a chargeback. It went through.
Old Jun 26, 19, 7:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Deal with it now. Either by asking the property to waive the fee or by PL covering it. Once you agree to pay the fee at check-in, you may find a lot of pushback from a card issuer regarding a chargeback. Whatever you do, keep screenshots of everything.
Old Jun 27, 19, 4:38 pm

Programs: AA MM; AS Gold; Nexion, LLC/Travel Leaders
Originally Posted by tatterdema View Post
I would deal with it BEFORE staying, but that just me being pro-active. I never wait when I can do something in advance. I would call the hotel. If they are going to charge you, I would call priceline. Below is from their T & C's on Express Deals...
  1. For hotels that charge mandatory fees, you will be told both a) the Total Priceline Charges to your method of payment and b) the total cost, which includes the Total Priceline Charges and the Hotel Mandatory Fee which the hotel will charge at check out. Your Total Charges and the Room Rate may include compensation to priceline.com for our facilitation services.
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Deal with it now. Either by asking the property to waive the fee or by PL covering it. Once you agree to pay the fee at check-in, you may find a lot of pushback from a card issuer regarding a chargeback. Whatever you do, keep screenshots of everything.
Dealing wiith this ahead of time has risks too. You may not get a timely answer and/or the answer may be a full refund, and you have to book something else last-minute. I'd be more likely to take this approach if I wanted out of the deal.

If you just want to avoid the destination fee, consider showing up and dealing with hotel management, priceline customer service and your CC issuer (in that order of escalation) to get the fee waived or refunded--if your confirmation (print it out) doesn't mention the fee, you have a pretty persuasive argument that it should not be charged. Personally, I'd take this gamble over getting a definite "no, would you like a refund?" ahead of time, but YMMV.
strickerj likes this.

Last edited by NYC Flyer; Jun 27, 19 at 4:44 pm

Search this Thread