Confusing Service by Expedia

Old May 16, 19, 6:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, Marco Polo,Hyatt Globalist,SPG VIP
Angry Confusing Service by Expedia

Is Expedia a travel agency, I am thinking not after having bought 2 separate rt tickets Gum-Hkg and Hkg-Cdg from Expedia, The first leg United was delayed due to technical issues on Guam so I sent a note to my assistant to inform Expedia I might not make the AF connection in HKG and to please inform AF i was going to be late in from Guam. She called in to Expedia whom did only inform her that I should go to the AF counter when I get in. Problem was I did not arrive until the flight left and AF whom had not heard from Expedia or United that I was delayed said they had to post my ticket as a no show and for me to buy a new ticket to CDG. AF Delta customer service really tried to help me but they could not book on the next flight since it showed I had missed the flight in HKG. Most of the time I fly the different airlines talk to each other if they have delays and I am very disappointing with the service Expedia gave me, I had to buy a new rt on Qatar the following day. In addition I had informed United I would connect to the AF flight when I checked in on Guam.
Old May 16, 19, 7:17 pm

Programs: NZ *G
Originally Posted by lars747 View Post
Is Expedia a travel agency, I am thinking not after having bought 2 separate rt tickets Gum-Hkg and Hkg-Cdg from Expedia, The first leg United was delayed due to technical issues on Guam so I sent a note to my assistant to inform Expedia I might not make the AF connection in HKG and to please inform AF i was going to be late in from Guam. She called in to Expedia whom did only inform her that I should go to the AF counter when I get in. Problem was I did not arrive until the flight left and AF whom had not heard from Expedia or United that I was delayed said they had to post my ticket as a no show and for me to buy a new ticket to CDG. AF Delta customer service really tried to help me but they could not book on the next flight since it showed I had missed the flight in HKG. Most of the time I fly the different airlines talk to each other if they have delays and I am very disappointing with the service Expedia gave me, I had to buy a new rt on Qatar the following day. In addition I had informed United I would connect to the AF flight when I checked in on Guam.

Im curious as to what UA staff would have said to that...given you were on separate tickets and were most definitely not "connecting" … Going from one alliance to another probably wouldn't have helped the situation. Curious also as to those other situations where "different airlines talk to each other"... on separate tickets?
Old May 16, 19, 7:31 pm
Original Poster

It has to do with US Travel visas that United can not issue a boarding pass until you have showed them onward ticket and valid US Visa. Even when I have 2 different alliances like CDG - NRT on Japan Airlines going on to Guam on United there is never an issue if I have to reschedule my separate ticket as long as I inform JAL and UA of my schedule.
Old May 16, 19, 9:13 pm

Programs: NZ *G
I think you have been extraordinarily fortunate if that is the case.
Old May 17, 19, 5:39 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold
And if Expedia or United would have contacted Air France - and then?
Your ticket status would have still changed to "no-show" nonetheless.
If you think you can avoid a "no-show" just calling the airline (esp. an European one) beforehand that you will miss the flight, you must be mistaken.
Yoshi212 and wrp96 like this.
Old May 17, 19, 6:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP was not connecting. He had two separate tickets. The issue here lies entirely with AF. OP no showed for the flight and his ticket was cancelled because he did. While it might not have helped much, the starting point was for OP's assistant to have called AF and explained the situation. That would have occurred well prior to scheduled departure and it might have been possible to change the ticket to the next day. Whether that was possible and what it might have cost is a matter of speculation without the fare rules. In addition, it is more likely that an air carrier accommodates you prior to departure than after. With AF, qualify that as very unlikely.

It is highly unlikely that UA would have done anything for OP. But, it really wasn't necessary as he was lucky enough to have his assistant at a desk with a phone.

The only carrier I am aware of that protects across separate tickets is AA. It does so for separate tickets AA-AA and AA-OW (as well as OW-AA).

UA and AF have an interline ticket agreement. The way to prevent this was to purchase a ticket GUM-CDG with a connection.
Yoshi212 and nancypants like this.
Old May 17, 19, 10:48 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold
While it might not have helped much, the starting point was for OP's assistant to have called AF and explained the situation. That would have occurred well prior to scheduled departure and it might have been possible to change the ticket to the next day.
Fair point.
But the ticket is owned by Expedia. And Expedia as ticket agent can initiate a rebooking themselves before the flight left, as well.

She called in to Expedia whom did only inform her that I should go to the AF counter when I get in.
Yeah, and now comes the interesting questions. Why didn't the assistant asked Expedia to rebook the ticket?
nancypants likes this.
Old May 17, 19, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by warakorn View Post
Fair point.
But the ticket is owned by Expedia. And Expedia as ticket agent can initiate a rebooking themselves before the flight left, as well.
?
during day of travel, OTA no longer owns ticket. The operating carrier owns ticket

Sorry to blame OP, but this is what happens when you self connect on different tickets. First trip can be delayed and you miss second trip. No airline is obligated to rebook you for free on the (separate) second ticket

Since it's separate tickets, from AF's point of view, you did no-show them. Expedia told u to get to AF counter asap is the correct move. Too bad their counter is closed - otherwise AF counter may choose to rebook you (or not). They don't have a flat-tire rule
nancypants likes this.
Old May 17, 19, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

Thanks guys actually AF told me in both in HKG(Jardine) and on the phone they would have flagged me not as a no show if they just had known where I came from. And as former Diamond Delta they really tried to undue this in the US. I get it its a risk but an Economy ticket for 4k from Gum to Cdg is not in my budget vs $1,500 for 2 tickets. I have dealt with Carlsson and Wagonlit before and they usually worked it out as long as they knew and could monitor the flights like a travel agency is suppose to do. No more Expedia for me.
Old May 17, 19, 6:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Expedia is not Carlsson or Wagonlit. It is a bare bones opaque vendor with staff marginally trained to handle the simplest of situations.

On the day of travel, go to the operating carrier when there is a problem. Your issue may or may not get fixed and it may or may not cost you something to fix it. But, you will do better with the operating carrier.

Search this Thread