FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/online-travel-booking-bidding-agencies-204/)
-   -   Priceline: Free 24hr cancellation when flight is within 24 hrs (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/online-travel-booking-bidding-agencies/1969829-priceline-free-24hr-cancellation-when-flight-within-24-hrs.html)

kchanbeki May 15, 2019 9:10 am

Priceline: Free 24hr cancellation when flight is within 24 hrs

I personally attempted this yesterday 5/14 by booking a United flight departing in the next 3 hours on Priceline. To my surprise, they advertised "Free Cancellation Until 11:29pm ET on 5/15", with no strings attached. I checked in for the flight, but an hour before the flight departure I found that I could not make it to the airport. I went on the Priceline website, hit Cancel, and the pending charge from United on my credit card reversed immediately.

Now it makes me wonder, what if I cancel after the first flight has departed and I missed the flight? I suppose United will proactively cancel the booking when you do not board the first flight in the booking, but because Priceline, like most agencies in the US, always hold the funds in a pool from the airline for a couple of days, and they clearly stated free cancellation until the next day, will I still get my refund?

And I know some of you may be thinking what if you cancel after you already boarded the flight. I would imagine once the status on the ticket changes to "Boarded" it would be impossible to cancel. Anyone who has any insights are welcome to share.

NYC Flyer May 16, 2019 10:27 am

The "refund" Priceline is providing in this instance is technically a "void" transaction, in which the ticket is canceled before it is reported as a sale to the Airlines Reporting Corporation (an industry-owned clearinghouse for ticketing accounting/policymaking. These voids are permitted one business day following the issuance of a ticket. I'm fairly certain that if the first segment is canceled by the airline due to a no-show, the airline can reject the void request from Priceline. I don't know how that would play with Priceline's stated refund policy, but it's safest to cancel prior to departure to ensure a refund.

And, yes, once a segment status reflects departed/flown, no voids are permitted.

warakorn May 17, 2019 5:44 am

Tip: block your card. You don't want the risk Priceline charging your card again.

dparkinson May 24, 2021 2:03 pm

Does anyone know how the policy when you book between 1129 PM and 1159 PM? Technically, a 1129PM cancellation wouldn’t give you a full 24 hours so does it bump to the following day or only after midnight?