Name correction of ticketing

Old Apr 19, 19, 9:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: name correction on ticket
Wink Name correction of ticketing

I bought tickets for my family to fly to Ethiopia via cheapoair.com and I made some error on my wife's name and an infant. so I called CheapOair to make the correction on it, they requested me to submit a Marriage license, Divorce Decree, Legal name change document and Government-issued identification reflecting both your former and current names documents. I submitted accordingly but they keep telling me to cancel all ticket rebook and paying a cancellation fee and some other fee all together half of the purchasing ticket. So, I am posting to seek any advice from the forum or who encounter the same issue of mine.

Thanks
Old Apr 21, 19, 11:37 am

Programs: TK Elite, HH G
Welcome to FT!

Could you be more specific about the error? A simple mistake (wrong letter, missing a letter, forgot middle name etc) will not lead to you being unable to board the flight. I have read somewhere that up to 4 letters can be erroneous in the name without consequences. So most likely no correction is needed.

Disregard the OTA. This is the standard reply of all TA/OTA: cancel and rebook (and of course they earn money from that transaction) rather than the TA/OTA doing the work (correction of name) without getting paid. Forget about taking advice from the OTA about this.
Old Apr 21, 19, 3:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You need to determine what the written policy for both your operating carrier and the third-party vendor (OTA) is. Read those carefully. Bear in mind that even if your carrier allows changes, the OTA may either refuse or charge its own fees to do so.

Many carriers do not care about small issues, but others care a great deal.

So, without the exact details, it is really hard to give you other than general advice.
Old Apr 21, 19, 10:48 pm
Original Poster

Middle name is a totally different name and the infant name took her mother name. for example, mother's name is Almaz Sima Ayana, instead, her name appears on her ticket different from her name Almaz Samuel Ayana, the infant name was Teddy Sima but written on a ticket Almaz Ayana.

Last edited by rob2011; Apr 21, 19 at 10:57 pm
Old Apr 21, 19, 10:50 pm
Original Poster

mom middle name is totally different and the infant name became her mom name. I don't know how that happens, I just saw after a couple of days
Old Apr 22, 19, 3:31 am

Programs: TK Elite, HH G
hmm sounds like you did a huge mistake when making the reservations and entering the names.

It appears to me that you need to fix that and may they not be able to travel. Or you could chance it at the airport. I believe the different middle name for wife should be OK but the infant's name in the passport will be completely different from the infant's name in the ticket. Luckily, the infant's ticket has the name of your wife, so you could play dumb at the airport stating that you believed the name of the infant's mother had to be stated in the ticket rather than the name of the infant. Admittedly, I have no idea how the check-in staff will react to this.
nancypants likes this.
Old Apr 22, 19, 4:11 am

Programs: Qatar Airways, FlyDubai
I made a mistake with my daughter's name on a plane ticket on a WizzAir flight. I called and they said that, it should be no problem as long the unique ID on her passport is OK and the mistake is obvious. I know the problem in a bit different from yours, but that's the only experience I have with such issues.
Old Apr 24, 19, 1:24 am

Programs: BAEC OW Gold/Emerald
Originally Posted by rob2011 View Post
I bought tickets for my family to fly to Ethiopia via cheapoair.com and I made some error on my wife's name and an infant. so I called CheapOair to make the correction on it, they requested me to submit a Marriage license, Divorce Decree, Legal name change document and Government-issued identification reflecting both your former and current names documents. I submitted accordingly but they keep telling me to cancel all ticket rebook and paying a cancellation fee and some other fee all together half of the purchasing ticket. So, I am posting to seek any advice from the forum or who encounter the same issue of mine.

Thanks
Sorry to hear of your difficulty... unfortunately unless the airline allows for the error in the name change, you are unlike to get any joy from CheapOair... as I am sure you read their pages of terms and conditions (13 pages), it is stated in there...
"HUMAN ERROR OR CUSTOMER SERVICE AGENTíS ERROR
Upon receipt of your ticket information email please immediately verify that all information is accurate and correct. In the event that you should discover an error in the ticket you purchased, you must notify us immediately and in any event before 8:00 pm (20:00) local time in London, United Kingdom on the same day in order for us to correct the error. Notifications of any errors beyond the deadline as stated herein cannot be honoured and CheapOair shall not be responsible for any such errors whatsoever or have any liability in respect of the same other than as set out in these Terms and Conditions."
Do let us know how you get on.
Old Apr 24, 19, 7:35 am
Original Poster

Thank y' all, I directly contact Ethiopian airlines customer care and fixed for me with no cost.
IntVic likes this.

Search this Thread