Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

How is Expedia so Cheap (is it P-fares) in J?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2019, 5:15 pm
TBD
Original Poster

Programs: All The Programs

How can Expedia offer such cheap bundles with business airfare? It seems to be that Expedia has access to P-fare class. Do any other sites or travel agencies have this access?

I've already booked a trip to Europe on Expedia. Flight (biz class) with hotel is like $3,000 (P). The flights alone, booked separately, price at around $5,500 (mix of C/D fares).

I'm looking at another trip to the Middle East. Flights again with hotel are like $2,900 (P). Flights booked separately are $7,000 (C/D again).

1. Is it the fare class (P vs C/D)?

2. And do any other agencies have these fares? I'd actually like to do a multi-city for my middle east trip, but Expedia won't give me the P-fares when I do that.

Thanks!
Old Mar 20, 2019, 9:48 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
P class is generally premium economy, not business, but could vary based on airline. Perhaps this explains the significant price difference?
Old Mar 21, 2019, 5:43 am
TBD
Original Poster

Nope - definitely books in to business class. I suppose it could be some sort of instant upgrade, but wouldn't those still be available via other channels?

I'm just (pleasantly) surprised at how many good deals I see on Expedia these days (in business). It's definitely hit or miss - some destinations don't have a deal.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 6:25 am

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by TBD
Nope - definitely books in to business class. I suppose it could be some sort of instant upgrade, but wouldn't those still be available via other channels?
Without knowing the fare basis, would be hard to tell how the deal works. Consolidator fares are typically comparable to package fares without the need to pay for/use/throwaway the hotel.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 6:06 pm
TBD
Original Poster

They are, literally, P-fares. First letter in the fare basis code is P. Deep discounted business on LH Group.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.