Is booking via Opodo safe?

Old Mar 1, 19, 8:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards and KrisFlyer
Is booking via Opodo safe?

Hello everybody. I would like to know if booking a business class trip from Opodo is safe. I will fly from Cdg to Mel on January 13 then Mel to bkk on January 22 and bkk to Cdg on February 3. The best price I can see is 2604 via Opodo or go voyage but I have seen bad reports about these companies. I need your help to book my tickets and fly j on sq flights.
i am used to book directly on the airline site but only for round trip tickets.
Thanks in advance for your advices.
Alain
Old Mar 1, 19, 12:47 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Silver, Miles & More pleb
Opodo is completely safe, I used them to buy J tickets twice (1x long haul and 1 x short haul), and there's not been much to complain about. Customer Service was also quick to reply, polite and efficient on the phone as I had to call them once. They also do the check in for you automatically as soon as it's up and send you the BPs.

Only thing I would warn you against is their practice to charge you a ridiculous sum to select your seat. If you actually get the app from the carrier (not sure it works with all, but it did with LX) you can actually select your seats for free as soon as you log in your reservation number, so that was like $100 thrown out the window. (I didn't want to be sat separately from my family as it happened to us with LastMinute.com whom I'm sure did on purpose).

I still recommend Opo over LM any minute. Just say no thanks to seat reservations.
Old Mar 1, 19, 10:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I once used Opodo UK to buy a refundable business-class ticket, then later decided I was unable to travel.

I began the process of cancelling that ticket and seeking a refund on 13 Sep 2013, contacting them via phone or e-mail about once a week. They paid me back most of the money fairly quickly. But an agent early in the refund process insisted that the "YR" surcharge component of a refundable TK fare was nonrefundable, which is not consistent with the fare rules or the airline's contract of carriage or, well, reality. After a few months of weekly back-and-forth I looped in The Guardian's consumer advice columnist on 20 Feb 2014. After a few more months of weekly back-and-forth I and finally actually got the correct amount refunded on 27 May 2014. They also included a 25 GBP goodwill certificate for my troubles.

Overall my impression was that the company is capable of issuing tickets which autoprice, either via the web or via agents, and some of their employees are capable of some basic GDS interactions. If you don't plan to do anything other than book and fly the ticket you should have no problems. My personal experience would make me wary of using them to change or cancel itineraries in accordance with fare rules.
Old Mar 1, 19, 10:49 pm

Programs: AA MM; AS Gold; Nexion, LLC/Travel Leaders
Originally Posted by Maestro Ramen View Post
...Only thing I would warn you against is their practice to charge you a ridiculous sum to select your seat.
Standard OTA protocol

Originally Posted by mherdeg View Post
...But an agent early in the refund process insisted that the "YR" surcharge component of a refundable TK fare was nonrefundable, which is not consistent with the fare rules or the airline's contract of carriage or, well, reality. After a few months of weekly back-and-forth I looped in The Guardian's consumer advice columnist on 20 Feb 2014....If you don't plan to do anything other than book and fly the ticket you should have no problems. My personal experience would make me wary of using them to change or cancel itineraries in accordance with fare rules.
We all plan to only book and fly...changes are usually unforeseen, and the OTAs "sizzle" when it comes to juicing their profit is often fees of $200 or more to make changes/refunds on top of the airline's penalty.
Old Mar 1, 19, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Alain Bouzigovitch View Post
Hello everybody. I would like to know if booking a business class trip from Opodo is safe.
I will fly from CDG to MEL on January 13 then MEL to BKK on January 22 and BKK to CDG on February 3. The best price I can see is 2604 via Opodo or go voyage but I have seen bad reports about these companies. I need your help to book my tickets and fly J on SQ flights.
I am used to book directly on the airline site but only for round trip tickets.
Have you tried a multi city on SQ?
Or a series of return tickets, so 2 or more separate tickets?
Is BKK-CDG on SQ? Or a backtrack to SIN?
Great Circle Mapper

Those dates in MEL are close to the Australian Tennis Open----> more demand
Old Mar 4, 19, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards and KrisFlyer
Thank you very much to those who had taken their time to advice me. I booked my trip on Opodo Saturday evening and my tickets are issued and I can see my trip on sq app. Now I just have to wait for 10 months....
Old Mar 6, 19, 11:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by NYC Flyer View Post
Standard OTA protocol
We all plan to only book and fly...changes are usually unforeseen, and the OTAs "sizzle" when it comes to juicing their profit is often fees of $200 or more to make changes/refunds on top of the airline's penalty.
indeed, sadly in the situation I describe above I had actually prepaid Opodo for their now-discontinued service "Opodo Extra" where they promised that in exchange for paying them 31.98GBP up front, they wouldn't charge their standard change or cancellation fees ( https://web.archive.org/web/20121130...k/opodo_extra/ ).

To their credit they didn't charge me their agency administration fee -- they just withheld part of the refund, citing a nonexistent part of the contract of carriage, for months. I guess in the sense that I had to wait "extra" long for them to refund my refundable ticket you could say I got the "extra" service I paid for, ha ha. They seem to have discontinued this offering.

Search this Thread