FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/online-travel-booking-bidding-agencies-204/)
-   -   Is booking via Opodo safe? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/online-travel-booking-bidding-agencies/1958771-booking-via-opodo-safe.html)

Alain Bouzigovitch Mar 1, 2019 8:33 am

Is booking via Opodo safe?

Hello everybody. I would like to know if booking a business class trip from Opodo is safe. I will fly from Cdg to Mel on January 13 then Mel to bkk on January 22 and bkk to Cdg on February 3. The best price I can see is €2604 via Opodo or go voyage but I have seen bad reports about these companies. I need your help to book my tickets and fly j on sq flights.
i am used to book directly on the airline site but only for round trip tickets.
Thanks in advance for your advices.
Alain

Maestro Ramen Mar 1, 2019 12:47 pm

Opodo is completely safe, I used them to buy J tickets twice (1x long haul and 1 x short haul), and there's not been much to complain about. Customer Service was also quick to reply, polite and efficient on the phone as I had to call them once. They also do the check in for you automatically as soon as it's up and send you the BPs.

Only thing I would warn you against is their practice to charge you a ridiculous sum to select your seat. If you actually get the app from the carrier (not sure it works with all, but it did with LX) you can actually select your seats for free as soon as you log in your reservation number, so that was like $100 thrown out the window. (I didn't want to be sat separately from my family as it happened to us with LastMinute.com whom I'm sure did on purpose).

I still recommend Opo over LM any minute. Just say no thanks to seat reservations.

mherdeg Mar 1, 2019 10:00 pm

I once used Opodo UK to buy a refundable business-class ticket, then later decided I was unable to travel.

I began the process of cancelling that ticket and seeking a refund on 13 Sep 2013, contacting them via phone or e-mail about once a week. They paid me back most of the money fairly quickly. But an agent early in the refund process insisted that the "YR" surcharge component of a refundable TK fare was nonrefundable, which is not consistent with the fare rules or the airline's contract of carriage or, well, reality. After a few months of weekly back-and-forth I looped in The Guardian's consumer advice columnist on 20 Feb 2014. After a few more months of weekly back-and-forth I and finally actually got the correct amount refunded on 27 May 2014. They also included a 25 GBP goodwill certificate for my troubles.

Overall my impression was that the company is capable of issuing tickets which autoprice, either via the web or via agents, and some of their employees are capable of some basic GDS interactions. If you don't plan to do anything other than book and fly the ticket you should have no problems. My personal experience would make me wary of using them to change or cancel itineraries in accordance with fare rules.

NYC Flyer Mar 1, 2019 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by Maestro Ramen (Post 30836292)
...Only thing I would warn you against is their practice to charge you a ridiculous sum to select your seat.

Standard OTA protocol

Originally Posted by mherdeg (Post 30837698)
...But an agent early in the refund process insisted that the "YR" surcharge component of a refundable TK fare was nonrefundable, which is not consistent with the fare rules or the airline's contract of carriage or, well, reality. After a few months of weekly back-and-forth I looped in The Guardian's consumer advice columnist on 20 Feb 2014....If you don't plan to do anything other than book and fly the ticket you should have no problems. My personal experience would make me wary of using them to change or cancel itineraries in accordance with fare rules.

We all plan to only book and fly...changes are usually unforeseen, and the OTAs "sizzle" when it comes to juicing their profit is often fees of $200 or more to make changes/refunds on top of the airline's penalty.

Mwenenzi Mar 1, 2019 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by Alain Bouzigovitch (Post 30835364)
Hello everybody. I would like to know if booking a business class trip from Opodo is safe.
I will fly from CDG to MEL on January 13 then MEL to BKK on January 22 and BKK to CDG on February 3. The best price I can see is €2604 via Opodo or go voyage but I have seen bad reports about these companies. I need your help to book my tickets and fly J on SQ flights.
I am used to book directly on the airline site but only for round trip tickets.

Have you tried a multi city on SQ?
Or a series of return tickets, so 2 or more separate tickets?
Is BKK-CDG on SQ? Or a backtrack to SIN?
Great Circle Mapper

Those dates in MEL are close to the Australian Tennis Open----> more demand

Alain Bouzigovitch Mar 4, 2019 12:55 pm

Thank you very much to those who had taken their time to advice me. I booked my trip on Opodo Saturday evening and my tickets are issued and I can see my trip on sq app. Now I just have to wait for 10 months....

mherdeg Mar 6, 2019 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by NYC Flyer (Post 30837767)
Standard OTA protocol
We all plan to only book and fly...changes are usually unforeseen, and the OTAs "sizzle" when it comes to juicing their profit is often fees of $200 or more to make changes/refunds on top of the airline's penalty.

indeed, sadly in the situation I describe above I had actually prepaid Opodo for their now-discontinued service "Opodo Extra" where they promised that in exchange for paying them 31.98GBP up front, they wouldn't charge their standard change or cancellation fees ( https://web.archive.org/web/20121130...k/opodo_extra/ ).

To their credit they didn't charge me their agency administration fee -- they just withheld part of the refund, citing a nonexistent part of the contract of carriage, for months. I guess in the sense that I had to wait "extra" long for them to refund my refundable ticket you could say I got the "extra" service I paid for, ha ha. They seem to have discontinued this offering.

LayanGam Oct 28, 2019 2:58 pm

Read the emails carefully

Originally Posted by Alain Bouzigovitch (Post 30835364)

Hello everybody. I would like to know if booking a business class trip from Opodo is safe. I will fly from Cdg to Mel on January 13 then Mel to bkk on January 22 and bkk to Cdg on February 3. The best price I can see is €2604 via Opodo or go voyage but I have seen bad reports about these companies. I need your help to book my tickets and fly j on sq flights.
i am used to book directly on the airline site but only for round trip tickets.
Thanks in advance for your advices.
Alain

I have just completed a long haul return trip from Christchurch (New Zealand) to Frankfurt. I booked business class through OPODO.
Unfortunately, when I was on the last leg of the return journey (Melbourne to Christchurch), I discovered that I had been booked onto an economy flight. This came to light when I was denied access to the airport lounge in Melbourne.
I searched through my emails to get clarification.They never informed me directly that they would change the class of travel.
The class of travel is not stated on each leg of the itinerary in the confirmation email .
They have sent me a total of 12 emails for this journey - some of the advertising, trying to get me to book car hire/hotels etc. The change to economy is only evident in one of these emails, and it is not stated directly.
You have to check the itinerary carefully to discover that they ave done this. Its a really annoying discovery, especially when you have already been travelling for 25 hours .You shouldn't have to scrutinize your documents so carefully, looking to see if the company is trying to "pull a fast one". That's not how a good client-customer interaction works

Maestro Ramen Oct 28, 2019 5:05 pm

I hate to say it's your fault, but class of travel is indicated very clearly on purchase so what you have most likely done is purchase a mixed cabin ticket without looking carefully.

If you were downgraded via email it would be a different story but that's not really what happened to you is it?

Also did you try show your long haul BP at the lounge in Melbourne? Most carriers allow it on mixed cabin flights if you just flew a long haul and are connecting short haul - although without knowing your airline one can only guess.

MSPeconomist Oct 29, 2019 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by LayanGam (Post 31675202)
I have just completed a long haul return trip from Christchurch (New Zealand) to Frankfurt. I booked business class through OPODO.
Unfortunately, when I was on the last leg of the return journey (Melbourne to Christchurch), I discovered that I had been booked onto an economy flight. This came to light when I was denied access to the airport lounge in Melbourne.
I searched through my emails to get clarification.They never informed me directly that they would change the class of travel.
The class of travel is not stated on each leg of the itinerary in the confirmation email .
They have sent me a total of 12 emails for this journey - some of the advertising, trying to get me to book car hire/hotels etc. The change to economy is only evident in one of these emails, and it is not stated directly.
You have to check the itinerary carefully to discover that they ave done this. Its a really annoying discovery, especially when you have already been travelling for 25 hours .You shouldn't have to scrutinize your documents so carefully, looking to see if the company is trying to "pull a fast one". That's not how a good client-customer interaction works

Was the original ticket all in business class and then changed to have the final segment in coach? If so, are you entitled to a refund? If your return originated in FRA and was all on one ticket, with connections, you might be entitled to EC261 downgrade compensation for 75% of the price attributed to the downgraded segment.

BTW, did your flight for the final segment have a business class cabin (or seats forward of the curtain with special service, etc.) or was it an all coach flight and if so, was this true when you purchased the ticket?

Saadbk May 3, 2021 11:37 am

Most pathetic customer service

I have been waiting on my refund for 2 flights from past 6 months, the airline says they've refunded Opodo but Opodo isn't giving my money saying that the airline hasn't refunded yet. Don't book using Opodo! Worst experience ever

FlyFlyUK May 16, 2021 4:06 pm

Opodo is good from my experience booking an EVA flight to Bangkok from LHR.

snorkmaster Sep 29, 2021 1:15 am

I'm in the middle of a hot mess with Opodo with a multi-airline itinerary from Portugal to Brasil that had a flight cancellation that threw everything of by a day but wasn't resolved. I received an email with a proposed itinerary and a number to call, but the revised flights were not rebooked. And with the phone number provided---or any phone in any country so far--I get the automated attendant and cannot get through to any number because mycancelled* flight is too far away at a month out, and the chat bot is definitely not playing ball in terms of letting me get through.

This shouldn't be that complicated a change, but it's sure turning out to be one.

I've used sketchy OTAs like Opodo (which I guess is owned by eDreams?) before for uncomplicated itineraries without complications, but I guess the lesson learned is never again for anything even slightly more complicated, it's just not worth it.

It'll be a shame as I'll lose this good fare, but I guess I'll file a chargeback in the coming week if I can't figure out how to fix my flights.

If any of you have suggestions on how to get through to a real human, or for that matter, hold this awful, awful outfit accountable please do let me know.

anonimous May 18, 2022 5:50 pm

Really book your tickets directly by the airlines and stay away from Opodo / eDreams!

Almost 2,5 years ago my flights were cancelled by Airlines and still no refunds.

Airlines have approved refund back, but Opodo / eDreams won‘t transfer me back.

Very poor customer service, many lies and difficult communication. The support from Opodo / eDreams
is lying me since 2,5 years that they not gotten the refund from Qatar and Oman Air, but both infolines from the Airlines told me they have done a refund, just few weeks after flights cancellation.

Worst ticket selling platform (OTA) that I have ever used and never again.

Btw
Opodo, Travelink, eDreams, GO Voyages and Liligo is the same travel group company.

Originally Posted by Richard Hoffmann (Post 33872604)
If it were possible to give it less than 1 star I would. Customer service is horrific. I have been waiting since April 2021 for my refund to be processed and the only contact I can get out of Travellink is the auto email response once a month insisting that they are working on it.

I would warn anyone looking to use their service that you will not hear from them once they have your money....

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onli...l#post33872604

Maestro Ramen May 20, 2022 4:38 pm

This is going to be extremely judgemental but I cannot understand how some people can wait for a year, 2 years... 2 and a half years !?!? ... without taking measures to get their money back.

The legal deadline in most countries is two weeks.

I usually wait a month out of courtesy (during covid I gave up to 3 months), and then I do a chargeback, written evidence in hand.

End of.
Never had one disputed.

Why would anyone think it's okay to wait forever?