FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/online-travel-booking-bidding-agencies-204/)
-   -   Hotwire and his hotels who does not exist (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/online-travel-booking-bidding-agencies/1957846-hotwire-his-hotels-who-does-not-exist.html)

Hugues Feb 24, 2019 1:17 am

Hotwire and his hotels who does not exist

I booked a three star anonymous hotel on hotwire in Delhi, who was indicated "3 stars". After paying, I received the address, go to the place, and this is the conversation with the front desk : "Hi Sir, yes I can find your reservation on our system. But actually the hotel is closed since one year, and now we use this building as a youth hostel. So I have for you a reservation of a bed in a dormitory with 6 peoples"
After some arguments, I left the place, called hotwire customer service, who after 15 mn sent me a confirmation that they would give me back the money.

Jaimito Cartero Feb 24, 2019 1:26 am

Originally Posted by Hugues (Post 30814995)
I booked a three star anonymous hotel on hotwire in Delhi, who was indicated "3 stars". After paying, I received the address, go to the place, and this is the conversation with the front desk : "Hi Sir, yes I can find your reservation on our system. But actually the hotel is closed since one year, and now we use this building as a youth hostel. So I have for you a reservation of a bed in a dormitory with 6 peoples"
After some arguments, I left the place, called hotwire customer service, who after 15 mn sent me a confirmation that they would give me back the money.

I’d name the hotel attributes, and hotel name shown in the booking. A hostel is not what I’d expect, unless they have a category for such.

What was the price?

Hugues Feb 24, 2019 1:40 am

Attributes

The name in the reservation was hotel Raja, with written the address of 5 Arkhasan Road. When I arrived in the address, I discovered instead the Zostel.
On my booking, it was written that I was booking a 3 star. Hotwire could put you in a hostel at the condition that you have your private room and bathroom (which would not have cause any problems to me). It is written on their website that even for a 1 star hotel you should have a private room.
The price was around 8 USD.

MSPeconomist Mar 2, 2019 6:36 pm

In most places in the world, I wouldn't expect a private room (with private bath) in even a one star hotel for US$8.

Hugues Mar 2, 2019 10:49 pm

But...

In India it is entirely possible. It is for a reason that it is a popular backpacker destination.

MSPeconomist Mar 4, 2019 9:30 am

Originally Posted by Hugues (Post 30841135)
In India it is entirely possible. It is for a reason that it is a popular backpacker destination.

That's why I said in most places. Some places in India, probably yes, but less likely in Delhi.

SK AAR Mar 5, 2019 12:18 am

Why would you even book a "no-name" hotel with Hotwire? Hotwire and PL's "Name your own price" are a thing of the past - no longer any significant savings. I skipped them long time ago.

Hugues Mar 5, 2019 12:22 am

Reason

Because I often have 5 star hotels for 55-60 USD.

jebr Mar 12, 2019 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by SK AAR (Post 30849253)
Why would you even book a "no-name" hotel with Hotwire? Hotwire and PL's "Name your own price" are a thing of the past - no longer any significant savings. I skipped them long time ago.

There's plenty of times where significant savings can be had. Over the past year or so I've gotten a couple of hotels where I paid well under half of the going rate for that room had I booked direct through the hotel, and even a decent amount cheaper than pretty much any similarly-classed hotel in the area. Last year I stayed at the Westin in downtown Denver via Priceline Express deals for about the same price as I was finding for a Microtel or similar hotel near the airport when booked direct through the hotel. I have a reservation coming up in Boston where the price I paid was about a third of what their going rate is for that room when I booked, and cheaper than pretty much any hotel conveniently located in Boston. It certainly doesn't hurt that once you complete your current stay, they'll often send you a 10% off code to use in the app for your next booking. That can really help to make a price go from a decent deal to an excellent deal.

I've certainly had times where I felt like Priceline has done poorly with comparing their prices when they say that a certain reservation is "56% off!" or whatever - I once had one where Priceline claimed I was saving 40% or something where the opaque rate was only a few dollars less than what I would've gotten directly through that hotel, and there was a similar hotel with similar amenities that was 40% more. I had soured on them for a while due to that, but I've had a bit better luck now that I'm not looking at the "save xx%" as a way to compare hotels and just looking at Priceline's price versus what's available in the area. I also tend to have better luck when my expectation is that I'll get a good hotel (3*-4*) at a somewhat better location for about the price I would be paying for a refundable 1.5-2* hotel, rather than trying to squeeze the last few dollars off of a 1.5-2* hotel.