Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

Code sharing: which airline will I actually be flying with?

Code sharing: which airline will I actually be flying with?

Old Feb 10, 19, 8:31 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 9
Code sharing: which airline will I actually be flying with?

Hi 😊
I am looking for plane tickets from Cph to NYC for the fall.
Yesterday when checking out Momondo I came across some very reasonably priced tickets sold by ticket.no: To NYC with Air Canada, return to Copenhagen with Swiss
Today the exact same tickets(same departure time from Cph and from Toronto) are listed with United instead of Air Canada. Still Swiss on the return tickets.
My question is: How can I find out which airline is actually operating the flight?
Thanks,
Tina
Tinabis is offline  
Old Feb 10, 19, 8:34 am
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
Posts: 22,904
You can tell by the sequence of routes. For example, Air Canada does not fly from anywhere in Europe to anywhere in the US direct. If you are flying via Toronto, then your first flight is on AC. You do not give enough information to answer what airline is operating the second flight to NYC in this case.
LondonElite is offline  
Old Feb 11, 19, 1:17 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 9
Thank you Londonelite 😊
It just changed back to Air Canada, very confusing. Departure from Cph(to Toronto) at 10.40 says: Air Canada 883
I do not remember the exact number when it was announced as a United flight, but something over 8000.
From Toronto to New York the next day at 6.30 it says Air Canada 700. Again, I dont remember the United number, but higher than 8000
Tinabis is offline  
Old Feb 11, 19, 1:20 am
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
Posts: 22,904
It will be an AC aircraft, UA is code-sharing on it. Sometimes the code-share will be cheaper, which is why it shows up in a search like this. UA does not fly internationally to or from Canada (other than to/from the US of course).
LondonElite is offline  
Old Feb 11, 19, 8:46 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: LAX or NYC
Programs: AA MM; AS Gold; Nexion, LLC/Travel Leaders
Posts: 630
The seller should make it quite clear what airline you are actually flying. If this is ambiguous, other terms may be as well.
nancypants likes this.
NYC Flyer is offline  
Old Feb 15, 19, 11:52 pm
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 9
Thank you both for your helpful comments. I had to choose between AC/Swiss(from a third party company), Swiss and Lufthansa with LH being the most expensive. I ended up booking yesterday directly with Lufthansa. Changed my dates a bit and found a better deal than the original one. A lot less stressful booking directly than via third-party I must say :-)

Last edited by Tinabis; Feb 15, 19 at 11:59 pm
Tinabis is offline  
Old Feb 16, 19, 12:07 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: NYC
Programs: UA
Posts: 327
Originally Posted by Tinabis View Post
Thank you both for your helpful comments. I had to choose between AC/Swiss(from a third party company), Swiss and Lufthansa with LH being the most expensive. I ended up booking yesterday directly with Lufthansa. Changed my dates a bit and found a better deal than the original one. A lot less stressful booking directly than via third-party I must say :-)
wise choice. If something goes wrong (schedule change etc) you do not have to deal with a middleman.
arttravel is offline  
Old Feb 16, 19, 12:36 am
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 9
Arttravel: that is a very good point 😊 Having said that I have used this company(ticket.no) several times before without any issues. They have quite a good reputation here in Norway. But again, I have never had to change tickets or anything like that 😊
Also, Lufthansas website was a breeze compared to the third party company where you constantly have to say yes or no to extras and where they charge you MORE than double the price for luggage compared to LHs own website. The price you end up paying via third party companies sometimes is a quite a bit higher than the price that caught your eye in the first place 😉
Tinabis is offline  
Old Feb 16, 19, 1:26 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: LAX or NYC
Programs: AA MM; AS Gold; Nexion, LLC/Travel Leaders
Posts: 630
Originally Posted by Tinabis View Post
The price you end up paying via third party companies sometimes is a quite a bit higher than the price that caught your eye in the first place 😉
This is a common theme with OTAs. They make a significant profit off of their extra charges over and above the airlines' fees and penalties--it can get really expensive if you need to change your ticket or get a refund with some of them.
NYC Flyer is offline  
Old Feb 16, 19, 1:23 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: NYC
Programs: UA
Posts: 327
Originally Posted by Tinabis View Post
Arttravel: that is a very good point �� Having said that I have used this company(ticket.no) several times before without any issues. They have quite a good reputation here in Norway. But again, I have never had to change tickets or anything like that ��
Also, Lufthansas website was a breeze compared to the third party company where you constantly have to say yes or no to extras and where they charge you MORE than double the price for luggage compared to LHs own website. The price you end up paying via third party companies sometimes is a quite a bit higher than the price that caught your eye in the first place ��
Another issue with the OTA itinerary and the connection in Toronto -- if not a Canadian or US citizen/resident, one would need the Canadian ETA as well as the US ESTA. Not a great cost to get the Canadian ETA, just one more thing to do.

I would not want to pay the OTA service charges just to prepay for luggage and/or a seat. And if there is some problem, such as needing to change ticket, the hassle of dealing with the OTA would just be an extra bother as well as a possible extra expense.

It sounds as if you have a better itinerary for your travels. The LH wesbite is fairly straightforward, and I often fly LH to Germany and connect to someplace else. I hope you will enjoy your trip to NYC (where I live).
arttravel is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread