Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

Statutory rights for 48+ hour flight change?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2023, 9:33 am
Original Poster

A question here on statuatory rights regarding a major flight change by the airline.

I've recently booked, through Kiwi.com, a ticket from Heathrow to Bangkok, transferring in Shenzhen. The flight is with Shenzhen Airlines.
A few days after booking, the airline changed my flight date from 29 to 27 Nov. It's a change of more than 48 hours.

While I can make the flight, it means 2 nights plus expenses in Shenzhen. Are there any statuatory rights (UK citizen & resident) to help reclaim expenses?

As I was certain of my travel plans, I chose a non-changeable ticket. Kiwi.com says if I can cancel it I will receive only £10 back on the £1000 ticket, or I can rebook the changed leg of the trip by paying around £400... for a Shenzhen Airline ticket that would get me to Shenzhen (the transfer city) on the day I originally chose. I will not do this, as there's nothing to stop Kiwi / Shenzhen Airlines from doing exactly the same thing in a few more days and requiring another £400 to rebook back to my original date.

Thanks for any info or advice.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
You should def. be allowed to cancel for free/to get a full refund due to (invol) cancellation of your flight. Most likely it is not Shenzhen Airlines that is trying to prevent you from getting a full refund/playing difficult but Kiwi because Kiwi has no interest in spending time on rebooking you (which most likely Kiwi will not be paid for) or you getting a refund. In situations like this the drawback of booking with an OTA like Kiwi rather than with the airline directly, becomes very clear. The problem is that if you contact Shenzhen Airlines directly they will most likely refer you to contact Kiwi and refuse to deal with you directly.

The same applies for (invol) rebooking you to another Shenzhen Airlines flight. Should be done free of charge due to invol schedule change or cancellation. Are you saying that Shenzhen Airlines operates a flight LHR-Shenzhen on the day that you originally booked - or are you referring to other flights with other airlines to get you to Shenzhen? Shenzhen Airlines is not required to rebook you to another airline in a situation like this.

You should try to talk to Kiwi again and insist that this is not voluntary rebooking but invol. rebooking due to flight cancellation or schedule change of your first flight and rebooking should be done free of charge.

As a last resort you travel to Shenzhen as booked now, stay for 2 nights in a resonable hotel, and after traveling you submit the receipts for hotel, food etc to Shenzhen Airlines (not Kiwi) for reimbursement. I have no idea if the expenses will be refunded voluntarily.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.