Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

Expedia Won't Let Me Book After A Few Cancellations

Old Jan 30, 19, 12:54 am
Hoc
Original Poster

Location: San Juan Capistrano, CA; AA 2.5 MM, Bonvoy Titanium

I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem, and what to do about it. I tend to travel quite a bit, and when I expect to travel, I will often book the best room I can find through Expedia, with a refundable booking. Because my work is variable, I often have to cancel the trip and booking, and I take advantage of the refundable bookings for that reason, even if they are a few dollars more. Over the past two years, I've probably cancelled about 10 of my hotel bookings. Now, Expedia will not confirm a booking for me.

This wouldn't be a big problem -- normally, I would just book through another site. However, it appears that most travel sites now use Expedia as their booking engine, so it is now nearly impossible for me to book anything -- hotels, car rentals, airfare -- through any site other than the airline or hotel itself.

Has anyone else run into this problem, and, if so, what is the solution?
Old Jan 30, 19, 4:13 pm

Programs: AA MM; AS Gold; Nexion, LLC/Travel Leaders
Haven't had this problem. I prefer not to have my money tied up in advance payments when it comes to hotel stays, even if it costs a bit more.

Solutions? Use Priceling/Booking.com, book rates requiring a guarantee only, and/or see if a travel agent can help you.
Old Jan 30, 19, 5:04 pm
Hoc
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NYC Flyer View Post
Haven't had this problem. I prefer not to have my money tied up in advance payments when it comes to hotel stays, even if it costs a bit more.

Solutions? Use Priceling/Booking.com, book rates requiring a guarantee only, and/or see if a travel agent can help you.
Ultimate Rewards only books through Priceline, so that's not an option. I spent hours on the phone with Chase, Expedia, Ultimate Rewards. Expedia blames Chase. Chase blames Expedia. Finally, I just cancelled my Sapphire Reserve and ordered a new one. With luck, the new number won't be blocked, which would give me access to booking travel again.
Old Jan 30, 19, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by Hoc View Post
Ultimate Rewards only books through Priceline, so that's not an option. I spent hours on the phone with Chase, Expedia, Ultimate Rewards. Expedia blames Chase. Chase blames Expedia. Finally, I just cancelled my Sapphire Reserve and ordered a new one. With luck, the new number won't be blocked, which would give me access to booking travel again.
Did not get that this was related using Chase's portal. Good luck.
Old Jan 30, 19, 7:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
What hotels are you staying at that do not have their own web portal? Even small independent boutiques tend to have a web portal.
Old Jan 30, 19, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
What hotels are you staying at that do not have their own web portal? Even small independent boutiques tend to have a web portal.
Often1, undisclosed in the original post is that Hoc is determined to book through Chase, thus your (and my) suggestions are moot.
Old Jan 31, 19, 9:57 am
Hoc
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NYC Flyer View Post
Did not get that this was related using Chase's portal. Good luck.
Well, it is and it isn't. If it weren't for the fact that I want to use Ultimate Rewards, I would just avoid Expedia altogether. But the problem exists when I try to book using my credit card, as well. So, it's Expedia related.
Old Jan 31, 19, 9:58 am
Hoc
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Vino Bello in Napa. Also, in using some hotel websites, the prices are higher than booking though Expedia, and hotels are much less reliable nowadays on their "best price" guarantees.
Old Aug 25, 19, 6:41 pm

Same issue

Did you find a resolution?
Old Aug 26, 19, 11:14 am

Programs: TK Elite, HH G
Face it, Exp don't want you as customer any more (due to excessive cancellations) - it's a free country and there is no obligation on Exp to serve you. Move on and learn from it!
Old Aug 31, 19, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by Hoc View Post
I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem, and what to do about it. I tend to travel quite a bit, and when I expect to travel, I will often book the best room I can find through Expedia, with a refundable booking. Because my work is variable, I often have to cancel the trip and booking, and I take advantage of the refundable bookings for that reason, even if they are a few dollars more. Over the past two years, I've probably cancelled about 10 of my hotel bookings. Now, Expedia will not confirm a booking for me.

This wouldn't be a big problem -- normally, I would just book through another site. However, it appears that most travel sites now use Expedia as their booking engine, so it is now nearly impossible for me to book anything -- hotels, car rentals, airfare -- through any site other than the airline or hotel itself.

Has anyone else run into this problem, and, if so, what is the solution?
This is the best news I have read. You know what I would say screw Expedia and these third party shams and book directly to earn Frequent Stay Points, Free WIFI and Upgrades etc. My gosh people keep using Expedia even after failed trips with them!

You know what I would be so happy to never use Expedia again!
Old Aug 31, 19, 1:26 pm

Man, I've done this with booking.com a lot. At times my cancellations have outnumbered my upcoming bookings. Never any kickback there.
I don't patronize Expedia after two bookings were "lost" by the properties, the explanation being that their system and Expedia's don't always sync. Of course, I had confirmatory emails from both these properties.
​These properties were boutiques with less than 20 rooms in superb locations.
My assumption is that Expedia's fees push small properties to "lose" those bookings if they get a better offer.
Old Sep 1, 19, 11:47 am
Hoc
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Foster219 View Post
Did you find a resolution?
No

Search this Thread