Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

Any experience with Top Business Class company?

Old Jan 18, 19, 10:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest, Delta, Alaska, United, Chase

I see ads for a company called Top Business Class on this website. If you have any info on this company to share please let me know.

I'm interested in booking round trip to China and they have a decent price and routing.

They say once ticketed you'd have access to your reservation for seats, meals, etc. on the airline websites. Only thing that seems odd is you cannot get FF miles through their booking. So I wonder if they are booking award flights using someone else's account or their corporate account miles. What other reason might there be for no FF miles?
Old Jan 19, 19, 5:03 am

Programs: BAEC OW Gold/Emerald
I have no experience of this company but would suggest looking/asking in appropriate airline forums if the price they are quoting can be matched deally booking with the airline directly or with a TA with a greater track record.
Old Jan 19, 19, 4:03 pm
Original Poster

I researched this company and found they have a pretty good record and ratings. So I started through the process with them.

They had good flights at a good price. Next step before ticketing was to read and sign an agreement.

The agreement indicates that they are booking award flights, not purchasing tickets from the airlines. The awards are supposedly coming from their "corporate" award points/miles, whatever that is. But for all I know these are award points/miles that were sold to them or stolen and bought on the dark web. In any case we all know that the airline FF program rules prohibit sale or barter of award tickets, which is exactly what they are doing. So although not illegal to do so, it is contrary to airline policy and if caught the award tickets are cancelled...potentially stranding you 10,000 miles from home - but read on.

The agreement also says you are giving them permission to create FF accounts in your name and for them to reap the miles credit for the flights flown. This is part and potentially all of the way they accumulate the points/miles to acquire award tickets to sell to others.

They apparently do a booming business with many customers that are satisfied. So most travelers don't get caught. I have read reports of travelers who have gotten caught by the airlines and their tickets cancelled. Apparently when that happens two fixes are available from Top Business Class.

First step is to call your personal contact at the company who's cell number is provided to you so you can get them at any time. That person will attempt to convince the airline your ticket is good. If that doesn't work apparently Top Business Class will buy you another ticket...but the agreement you signed does not require them to do so. That typically means you are on different flights and potentially on different days, which may require you to pay for taxi, hotel, and meals during the delay. Their business model is based on only have to pay infrequently to bail travelers out. Apparently most people travel with no problems and are either not aware of the risk or are willing to take the risk of tickets getting cancelled.

The owner of the company told me most times the airline catches on when travelers attempt to get their FF number assigned to the reservation. Recall that the business model is for the company to already have a number assigned so they get the credit. Also, since I have FF status with the airlines on which they proposed I fly I wonder if the airlines might see something amiss when Top Business Class creates a new account under my name? In any case I'm not going through with booking with this company.

I was hoping this company was a consolidator and not an award ticketer. They say that they do have contracts with airlines for travel to Europe and Africa but not Asia. They also say no airlines have been able to get contracts to Asia and they are interested in doing so and have tried. I assume it would be safe to use this company for flights to Europe or Africa as long as they are not selling you an award ticket.

Hopefully you can learn from my experience.
Old Jan 19, 19, 4:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I don't understand the business model: They can't be earning nearly enough FF miles on these tickets to purchase award tickets and moreover they shouldn't earn any miles on award tickets. So how can they possibly get enough miles to sustain things and get enough award tickets to sell? I hope they're not also signing up their customers for new credit cards and not telling the customers as a way to get more miles.

My guess is that the FF account that shows would be the FF account of the person who sold miles to this operation.

Also, there's no guarantee that the cell phone number they provide is a real one unless it's in their best interest to pretend to be your friend and the owner of the account that had the miles.
Old Jan 19, 19, 7:11 pm
Original Poster

I too don't know where they get enough FF miles to do this. Possibilities: 1. The also scrape off all miles earned from the tickets they sell to Europe and Asia which are real tickets that come from contracts with the airlines. Then use those miles along with those gained from flights to Asia to buy award flights to Asia. 2. I have read about buying miles from the dark web that are hacked and stolen from individual FF accounts. 3. From people selling their miles from their own FF accounts.

How they get FF miles from award tickets is beyond me. But the agreement specifically says "You acknowledge and explicitly permit an agent to create a frequent flyer account on your behalf using your name and personal information to assist in booking award tickets. You also understand and agree that the frequent flyer account will be managed by the agent and account details may change. These tickets are not eligible for mileage accrual." Maybe they create an account for the traveler and deposit the needed number of miles into that account and then book the award in the traveler's name. If so the risk is lower that it might be.

I believe the cell contact being active is critical to the success of their business model. They need to bail out travelers that run into trouble or they would have lots of negative reviews and BBB complaints, which they don't have. So my take is the company is not scamming the wise traveler that reads and understands the agreement. They are scamming the airline FF programs. However, just as some people bought into the housing bubble in 2007-2008 getting loans they didn't understand or could not afford, there will always be some folks who do not read or understand the agreement and don't know they risk of flying on sold or bartered award tickets.
Old Jan 20, 19, 11:49 am

Programs: AA MM; AS Gold; Nexion, LLC/Travel Leaders
Originally Posted by MrVette View Post
The agreement indicates that they are booking award flights, not purchasing tickets from the airlines. The awards are supposedly coming from their "corporate" award points/miles, whatever that is...They say that they do have contracts with airlines for travel to Europe and Africa but not Asia. They also say no airlines have been able to get contracts to Asia and they are interested in doing so and have tried. I assume it would be safe to use this company for flights to Europe or Africa as long as they are not selling you an award ticket.

Hopefully you can learn from my experience.

MrVette--thanks for your diligence on this operator.

I think you were lied to, as there are many contracted fares to Asia with repubable consolidators. I think they were just providing a rationale for why you have to travel on an award for your requested itinerary. Would be interesting to know what airline you were offered and whether the fare was significantly less than consolidator offerings.

Originally Posted by MrVette View Post
How they get FF miles from award tickets is beyond me
I'm goint to venture a guess that this business operates a few different scams and the contract is worded broadly enough to cover all of their activities. First, they probably do sell consolidator tickets, for which they create new FF accounts and collect the miles. If the carrier offers a corporate travel bonus plan (i.e., AA's "Business Extra") TopBusiness probably enrolls you as one of their travelers there too.

So, some customers are then sold consolidator tickets for which they will never receive FF miles, because they are actually deposited into the duplicate account controlled by TopBusiness. Perhaps they use airlines that permit household accounts to pool miles, and perhaps they actually do pay to transfer points into other accounts. Keep in mind, duplicate FF accounts are generally already a breach of FF program terms and conditions, so even the flyers on "contract" fares are at risk of having their primary account canceled or penalized.

Other customers are then sold award-based flights and bear the risk of the airline discovering the ticket is not legit.

Just speculation, but perhaps with all this activity, TopBusiness is able to "juice" their revenues above a legitimate travel agent/consolidator operation and pass some of the "juice" along to customers as savings.
lowmiles likes this.

Last edited by NYC Flyer; Jan 20, 19 at 12:00 pm
Old Feb 2, 19, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Airlines they proposed are United and Air China. Plus a short trip LAS -SFO on Alaska which appears to be a purchased low cost Saver ticket stock for SFO-SHA and PEK-SGU was ANA. So using ANA miles?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: