Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

Where should I book flights to China??

Where should I book flights to China??

Old Jan 21, 2019, 11:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by fbcooper
I bought 2 business tickets from jfk - can - pek - can -jfk last year for $2200 each on justfly with china southern and was able to book my seat on china southerns very confusing website afterwards

The only trouble i ran into i dont know id it was justflys fault or not, china southern canceled a bunch of flights from can-pek the day i arrived including mine so they put us up in 2-3 star hotel till the next day. Also on the way back from beijing to guanzghou the check in lady kept muttering about how our passport numbers werent showijf up and i would have to call justfly and make them fix it, but another check in person i guess who is more experienced clicked on a couple things and fixed it. But i would buy from justfly again just none of the extra stuff they try to sell on the side.

China southern was also great, very friendly flight attendants and great service on landing as well.

Espcially on my my flight back to jfk i was running very late due to a late arrival from singapore and i made it on time. Got through china customs and everythint in like record time Unfortunately the baggage didnt but they told me beforehand it wouldnt and i chose to get on the flight instead of rescheduling for tomorrow. My baggage came next day and was delivered straight to me with no problem.
Somewhat OT, but with a paid business class ticket, if a flight is cancelled and I'm rebooked for the next day, I would expect somewhat more than a mainland Chinese two star hotel.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 3:31 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Somewhat OT, but with a paid business class ticket, if a flight is cancelled and I'm rebooked for the next day, I would expect somewhat more than a mainland Chinese two star hotel.
If you don't like the hotels on offer, you can always book (and pay for) a different hotel.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 3:35 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by moondog
If you don't like the hotels on offer, you can always book (and pay for) a different hotel.
True, but if the airline is providing a hotel, I would expect that something decent would be given to business class (revenue) passengers. Also, one typically doesn't know much about the level/quality/nature of the hotel before checking in, so it's not necessarily practical to say that one should book something else if one isn't happy with what the airline offers.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by MrVette
Thank you for the tip on the visa. Already got that covered.

I filled out the application for myself and my wife and we got the required photos. According to what I've read on the China visa website, we cannot apply for the visa this far in advance. So I am waiting until May to sign, date and mail in the applications.
What exactly is the reason preventing you fron applying until May?

I always use Google flights and book directly with airlines.

Last edited by Repooc17; Jan 22, 2019 at 3:49 am
Old Jan 22, 2019, 3:43 am

Originally Posted by Repooc17
What exactly is the reason preventing you fron applying until May?
IIRC you're not allowed to apply too far in advance of the proposed first entry, which must be documented with plane tickets and hotel reservations, although of course one could do some fully refundable bookings and use them to apply for a visa before cancelling. However, IIRC the visa becomes invalid if entry doesn't occur within a certain period after it's been issued. [I know this was true for the old two/multi-entry visas and I suspect the same is true for the ten year visas if I remember the application procedure correctly.]
Old Jan 22, 2019, 3:46 am

True, but if the airline is providing a hotel, I would expect that something decent would be given to business class (revenue) passengers. Also, one typically doesn't know much about the level/quality/nature of the hotel before checking in, so it's not necessarily practical to say that one should book something else if one isn't happy with what the airline offers.
The hotels on their list are generally okay for most of their passengers, and the Pullman near 白云机场 is actually pretty nice. But, if you prefer to stay in cities, as opposed to near airports, it's best to take matters into your own hands.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 6:49 am

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
IIRC you're not allowed to apply too far in advance of the proposed first entry, which must be documented with plane tickets and hotel reservations, although of course one could do some fully refundable bookings and use them to apply for a visa before cancelling. However, IIRC the visa becomes invalid if entry doesn't occur within a certain period after it's been issued. [I know this was true for the old two/multi-entry visas and I suspect the same is true for the ten year visas if I remember the application procedure correctly.]
I just read your comment above about a visa becoming "...invalid if entry doesn't occur within a certain period after it's been issued".

I went through the process this past November (with cancellable hotel and flight arranged for this past December. Got the visa, and cancelled those arrangements. Then booked actual planned trip for this coming November.

All the visa in my passport says is "Enter Before 09NOV2028".

I've searched the info from the visa company and don't see anything about having to enter "...within a certain period after it's been issued". But I am still concerned. Is there anywhere to which you could point me to make sure I don't get stopped at the MSP gate this coming November?

Slightly panicked here.

But thank you.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by Romelle
I just read your comment above about a visa becoming "...invalid if entry doesn't occur within a certain period after it's been issued".

I went through the process this past November (with cancellable hotel and flight arranged for this past December. Got the visa, and cancelled those arrangements. Then booked actual planned trip for this coming November.

All the visa in my passport says is "Enter Before 09NOV2028".

I've searched the info from the visa company and don't see anything about having to enter "...within a certain period after it's been issued". But I am still concerned. Is there anywhere to which you could point me to make sure I don't get stopped at the MSP gate this coming November?

Slightly panicked here.

But thank you.
Sorry, but I fail to grasp the cause of your "concern"; that language is pretty cut and dry.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 8:06 am

Sorry, but I fail to grasp the cause of your "concern"; that language is pretty cut and dry.
Two things:

1 - MSPeconomist is on my short list as a very reliable member of this site. He couched his warning with IIRC and "I suspect", but I just want to be sure.

2 - Beside that cut and dry English on the visa is a couple Chinese Hanzi that could negate the English.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 8:47 am

Two things:

1 - MSPeconomist is on my short list as a very reliable member of this site. He couched his warning with IIRC and "I suspect", but I just want to be sure.
She is not a man.
2 - Beside that cut and dry English on the visa is a couple Chinese Hanzi that could negate the English.
The English is a direct translation of the Chinese.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 10:15 am

She is not a man.

The English is a direct translation of the Chinese.
Oops on my assumption about MSPeconomist. Has happened to me a lot too. One would think I'd learn. Not only my non-gender name, but my voice is in the lower female range, could-be-male range.

Thank you for the translation of the Chinese!
Old Jan 24, 2019, 1:38 pm

Two things:

Thank you and sorry. I just remember when I first applied for a (in my case, double entry) Chinese visa, I was warned not to get it too early.

Single entry Russian visas are very strict and usually become valid one day before your planned (and documented, of course) travel date and IIRC must be used to enter within a couple days of the anticipated entry date. This allows for minor IROPs and schedule changes, but fails to give much leeway or flexibility.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 6:16 am

Single entry Russian visas are very strict and usually become valid one day before your planned (and documented, of course) travel date and IIRC must be used to enter within a couple days of the anticipated entry date. This allows for minor IROPs and schedule changes, but fails to give much leeway or flexibility.
Thank you MSPeconomist.

Since my newly-minted 10-year visa only says "Enter Before 09NOV2028", between your and moondog's comments I'm going to stop fretting. And just look forward to my November 2019 trip ... and maybe more beyond that .
Old Jan 25, 2019, 6:28 am

Thank you MSPeconomist.

Since my newly-minted 10-year visa only says "Enter Before 09NOV2028", between your and moondog's comments I'm going to stop fretting. And just look forward to my November 2019 trip ... and maybe more beyond that .
You have nothing to worry about, but please feel free to join our WeChat group if you value concierge type service (e.g. I've yet to witness a no reply to a legitimate concern within more than 5 minutes). I must warn you that our group chat consists of ~95% male members, and the discussion is almost completely open (we delete political comments, though).
Old Jan 28, 2019, 6:31 am

You have nothing to worry about, but please feel free to join our WeChat group if you value concierge type service (e.g. I've yet to witness a no reply to a legitimate concern within more than 5 minutes). I must warn you that our group chat consists of ~95% male members, and the discussion is almost completely open (we delete political comments, though).
Thank you for the suggestion. I'll definitely keep it in mind. The male/female ratio and openness not a problem, as I comfortably/happily worked in an industry with that kind of ratio (railroad). And that 10-year China visa will be "burning a hole in my pocket" for a long time to come.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.