Making Sense of this Board

Old Dec 28, 2018, 3:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Making Sense of this Board

I need a reliable OTA that can handle a multistop itinerary involving four airlines (all *A) that I have researched. The airlines involved cannot do it either online or on the phone at anywhere near the prices quoted on Google Flights and ITA Matrix.
This board, useful as it is, is 95% devoted to complaints and reports of poor service, mixups and shenanigans.
On the other hand, most articles about "Best Online Travel Agencies" are limited to the usual suspects – Expedia, Orbitz, Priceline, CheapoAir, et al. I have the idea that these agencies get the most votes because they are the most used, not because they are the best. Or articles rate by earnings, biggest first. Or they rate OTAs by cheapest, even if price difference is 1 USD.
Are there any websites or articles that accurately rate quality of service?
As I said, all I want to do is buy a ticket. I don’t need professional advice on luxury hotels.
Thoughts? Thanks!
Old Jan 4, 2019, 7:50 am
Suspended

no idea how to help you
Old Jan 4, 2019, 3:10 pm

Programs: DL Gold, DL MM 8/22/16!
What happens when you find a flight on Google Flights and then click on though to the site for purchase? I've done this and was taken straight to DL where I was able to purchase.

Do you know how to go from ITA Matrix to actually purchasing a ticket? I don't know how to do it, but do know there are instructions elsewhere on this site.

You might get more help if you listed the details of your specific trip. While this site is not and was never intended to be a travel agent, it isn't unusual for some helpful soul to provide a little assistance or a boost.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 3:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Depending on the price difference, it might make sense for the OP to find a good real live human travel agent and pay the ticketing fee to have the TA put together the desired segments on one ticket.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 7:49 pm

If indeed it is actually Bookable. In the past I constructed fares on ITA that wouldn't work on any OTA, and that even my tame TA was unable to book....
Old Jan 4, 2019, 9:26 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by trooper
If indeed it is actually Bookable. In the past I constructed fares on ITA that wouldn't work on any OTA, and that even my tame TA was unable to book....
A travel agent can ask the ticketing carrier to price the itinerary, but I've noticed that some "nonbookable" Google/ITA itineraries violate the fare rules in some way and are essentially errors.
trooper likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 10:49 pm

Exactly. They were invariably multi stop/multi airline attempts ...which presumably complicates matters...
Old Jan 5, 2019, 6:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
OP here. Thanks for all the input. In the end I booked on AmExTravel.com, as it gave me 5x points and the same price as Google Flights, which LH and LX were unable to find or match.
Routing was: MXP - FRA - SIN - AKL - SIN - ZRH - MXP, on, in order, LH, LH (operated by SQ), NZ, NZ, LX (operated by SQ), LX. I did not even try to book on SQ, as Google Flights told me the price there was about 1000 EUR more than with LH.
Thanks again to all who contributed!
strickerj and trooper like this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 8:33 am

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by spainflyer
In the end I booked on AmExTravel.com, as it gave me 5x points and the same price as Google Flights, which LH and LX were unable to find or match
Well done!
Old Jan 7, 2019, 2:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NYC Flyer
Well done!
Yes, at those rates it is the difference between 2918 MR points and almost 15,000. I was despairing of getting full 5x points b/c could not book through the airlines. In fact, our local travel agency -- Viajes el Corte Inglés -- was able to book at the cited price, but I would have lost 80% of the points. Bravo to AmExTravel.com in this case. Still not sure why the price via the 800 number was so much higher than online.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.