Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

Priceline stiffs you with hotel fees not disclosed at payment

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Priceline stiffs you with hotel fees not disclosed at payment

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2018, 6:16 am

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
In my experience, you only save $5-10 bidding vs using an Express Deal. On express deals, fees are disclosed before you commit (and you can often use the resort fee as a data point in combination with some of the info on bidding forums to decifer which hotel you're going to get). There are also Priceline (and Hotwire) booking fees embedded in "taxes and fees", though I find Hotwire to be more egregious in padding their profit in this charge.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 5:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: KLM Gold, DL Silver
Just an example of Meadowlands View hotel (NJ good transport to NYC). $56 + 100 "mandatory fee". Does that mean you can bid on a $55 property and end up paying $170???
Old Jan 4, 2019, 5:48 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
My recommendation:
Usually you need to pay this so-called "hotel fee" at the hotel - not to priceline.
After checking out, I would just dispute it directly with the hotel - or via my credit card issuer. And I wouldn't sign such a folio.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 8:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
What are these NYC area fees and what are they supposed to cover? Resort fees are common in Miami, but I can't imagine $100 in NJ.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 12:49 am

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by iggyray
So, basically they can accept your bid for a hotel in NYC with the rate of $50, and then stiff you with some property that charges an undisclosed fee, like here of $70? How about a $500 fee on a $27/night hotel?
Here's the example of a hotel in their inventory.

This is not a Priceline problem. You would be charged this fee if you book with the hotel directly. If you paid in advance, you wouldn't have to pay the fee until you arrived, just like with Priceline. Your anger should be directed to the hotel companies charging these ridiculous fees.

In my experience, Priceline has been pretty good at noting the "resort fees" when you do NYOP or Express Deal bookings. They include it on the summary page even if there's only one property that might have it in NYOP bookings. Sometimes you can book it, and afterwards find out that it's a hotel that does NOT charge the fee. With Express Deals, you know for sure in advance--it's actually included in the total price, even though you pay it later directly at the hotel.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 1:01 am

Programs: IHG Plat, HH D, UA GS, Perm BonVoyed
Originally Posted by warakorn
My recommendation:
Usually you need to pay this so-called "hotel fee" at the hotel - not to priceline.
After checking out, I would just dispute it directly with the hotel - or via my credit card issuer. And I wouldn't sign such a folio.
maybe just a technical detail, but wouldn't it be on a reg (registration) card signed upon arrival?

regardless, I ABSOLUTELY abhor any additional fees everywhere.
strickerj likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.