Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

Orbitz & Flight Changes Getting Tickets Out of Sync

Old Oct 31, 18, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: Statusless and proud

Hi FTers,
Not really complaining here -- more wanted to get the info out to others that might in the same boat. I booked a ticket on Orbitz for MCI-DEN-PTY-LIR with the MCI-DEN leg on UA and the rest on CM (Copa Airlines). The only reason I booked on Orbitz is that it was the only site that priced out the ticket the way that Google Flights showed. Booking on United.com or CopaAir.com resulted in $300+ or more in difference. So, it's booked and ticketed, and then over the past few months there was a schedule change on United and they canceled the early flight and rebooked my friend (who I booked the trip for) on a slightly later flight. No worries. I received emails announcing the schedule change.

The issue is that I went to request an upgrade for my friend on the PTY-LIR leg on Copa (basically because it was the same price as a day pass to the Copa Club and we have a 6 hour layover), and it wouldn't let me do it. I called Copa to figure out what the deal is and they said because Orbitz had changed the itinerary, the ticket was no longer valid. I explained the schedule change on the UA flight, but they said I had to talk to Orbitz to iron it out. Fair play to Orbitz, the gentleman I talked to was quite helpful, called Copa, and got the issue dealt with quickly, but according to Copa, had my friend shown up to the airport, despite having a confirmation number, e-Ticket number, and the whole nine, he would have had issues and would not have been allowed to board.

The flight leaves on Saturday, so I'm glad I did my due diligence, but I know not everyone knows that things like this could happen. Just thought I'd put this out to the universe in case it helps others.

Chris

Search this Thread