NEED REAL HELP from expedia

Old Oct 11, 18, 11:14 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Programs: expedia
Posts: 1
NEED REAL HELP from expedia

My kids were flying international. They checked in the night before and decided to print passes at airport. The airport woudnt print them because they were only 45 min early. Its a tiny airport less than 6 mins to get through TSA to gate. Long story short, they lost their tickets of over $1,000 and their flight back over 2 1/2 have weeks away. They wouldn't let them even get on to the connecting flight from an airport stating if you dont start here you can get on anywhere to catch the next flight even though there was a 5 hour layover with time to get on the next flight. they had to repurchase tickets for another $1100. Expedia blames ANA and ALASKA, ANA blames expedia, AIRPORTS blame expedia. EXPEDIA CLAIMS NO RESPONSIBILITY. Any idea? Expedia agent refused to let me talk to anyone but him.He said I wasnt allowed to talk with a SUPERVISOR. Yes, the kids had travel insurance. Agent said travel insurance didn't cover them since they weren't in the hospital or really sick.
roxy J is offline  
Old Oct 11, 18, 11:53 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Benicia CA
Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Posts: 31,119
Originally Posted by roxy J View Post
The airport woudnt print them because they were only 45 min early.
Expedia blames ANA and ALASKA, ANA blames expedia, AIRPORTS blame expedia. EXPEDIA CLAIMS NO RESPONSIBILITY.
A couple of things come to mind.

Is the itinerary starting in the U.S.? Was their baggage to be checked? Some Alaska counters have a minimum 45-60 min check in time for baggage. Can't tell as you didn't indicate the starting point.

You said they checked in on-line, but I gather this is an international itinerary? Is their passport information stored with the carrier they checked in on-line with (assuming Alaska)? If not, could their on-line check in not have been completed? You said they did not have boarding passes.

Check this web page on check in times and baggage cutoff times:
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...boarding-times

Alaska also publishes a guide for each airport they serve:
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/airports

We've had discussions over the years about missing the first segment on an itinerary. The general consensus seems to be that your entire itinerary would be voided as a no-show unless the airline approves you missing the first segment, say in the case of bad weather where the first airport is inaccessible.

Another item to look at is the Alaska Airlines conditions of carriage, This spells out all the rules.
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/le...ct-of-carriage

One area I can't comment on is ANA If this is ticketed under their ticket stock, it's possible you might be subject to an entirely different set of rules rather than the Alaska rules. Hopefully someone else can comment on that side of things.

Last edited by tom911; Oct 12, 18 at 12:06 am
tom911 is offline  
Old Oct 18, 18, 1:43 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: HAJ
Posts: 126
So basically they missed their flights? Why is that Expedia's fault?
bacchus85 is offline  
Old Oct 18, 18, 4:16 pm
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: YVR
Programs: AC E75K 2MM former 14-year SE; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Posts: 28,133
Originally Posted by roxy J View Post
My kids were flying international. They checked in the night before and decided to print passes at airport. The airport woudnt print them because they were only 45 min early. Its a tiny airport less than 6 mins to get through TSA to gate. Long story short, they lost their tickets of over $1,000 and their flight back over 2 1/2 have weeks away. They wouldn't let them even get on to the connecting flight from an airport stating if you dont start here you can get on anywhere to catch the next flight even though there was a 5 hour layover with time to get on the next flight. they had to repurchase tickets for another $1100. Expedia blames ANA and ALASKA, ANA blames expedia, AIRPORTS blame expedia. EXPEDIA CLAIMS NO RESPONSIBILITY. Any idea? Expedia agent refused to let me talk to anyone but him.He said I wasnt allowed to talk with a SUPERVISOR. Yes, the kids had travel insurance. Agent said travel insurance didn't cover them since they weren't in the hospital or really sick.
Who was the operating carrier out (AS or NH?) of the origin airport and which airport was this at?
If they already OLCI'd, I don't understand how the airport won't let them print it. Did they see the airline (which airline?) agent to get a reprint of their boarding passes?
I do this all the time where I OLCI and then go to the airport with little time to spare and simply ask for a boarding pass reprint without issues.
yyznomad is offline  
Old Oct 18, 18, 7:01 pm
  #5  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 42,831
OP - Before there are a hundred bits of speculation, the detailed facts matter here. Without them, nobody can really give you accurate information.

1. What was the route they were scheduled to fly and the carrier(s) involved, e.g. Alaska from SEA-SFO and then United from SFO - Tokyo or something such as that.
2. If they had already checked in and had electronic boarding passes, what was the big deal about paper boarding passes and why did it matter if they could not get them?
3. Did they have bags to check? If so, what time did they get to the counter (not in line, but to the agent). Even without bags, without international segments they would have needed a document check (passport and possibly visas).



As a general principle, if one misses the cutoff for check in (or bag drop), one's ticket is cancelled and retains whatever value it retains under its fare rules. That includes all subsequent segments and it does not matter whether one can get to the next flight. You would need to look at the fare rules for the ticket to determine whether there is still value which could be used towards another ticket.

The specific airport may matter here because at small airports, it is quite common for the people who work the counter to also work for the gate. They can't wait for late passengers at the counter and also process the gate inbound and outbound. But, again that is dependent on the location.

Expedia has nothing to do with this.
Often1 is offline  
Old Oct 19, 18, 1:34 pm
  #6  
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 13,866
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
OP - Before there are a hundred bits of speculation, the detailed facts matter here. Without them, nobody can really give you accurate information.
The OP posted this a week ago and hasn't been back since. Do you really thing anything you've posted will be read?
DYKWIA is offline  
Old Oct 19, 18, 2:00 pm
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: YVR
Programs: AC E75K 2MM former 14-year SE; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Posts: 28,133
Originally Posted by DYKWIA View Post
The OP posted this a week ago and hasn't been back since. Do you really thing anything you've posted will be read?
Maybe the OP has finally received "real help" from expedia.
Often1 likes this.
yyznomad is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread