Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Online Travel Booking and Bidding Agencies
Reload this Page >

NH Flight cancelled - what to do if OTA does not contact me? [www.travelstart.com]

NH Flight cancelled - what to do if OTA does not contact me? [www.travelstart.com]

Old Jul 24, 2018, 3:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: JMB
Happy to inform that the OTA has contacted me sooner than I thought. The only thing is that they offer me a "interesting" new route. Looks like they want to stick to the booked airport in Tokyo. They offer me a flight Nuremberg - Frankfurt, 4:15 waiting, next to Osaka, 5:30h waiting with airport change and finally to Narita.
Answered that ANA has informed me about an other route, also via Frankfurt but with only 2:35 waiting and next to Haneda. As ANA offered this option, should be no problem to get for the OTA. I don't mind arriving in Haneda.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 1:41 am
Original Poster

Okay, it's getting really stange. Still waiting for the next response from travelstart (don't expect it until weekend). No problem at all...

But I'm someone who likes to sneak around. So I tried the original booking reference at Eurowings homepage (the airline operating the cancelled flight) and I expected to get an error message. But no no no... I get so see a valid booking for the flight from Nuremberg to Dusseldorf, but instead departing 12:20 (the original flight was 18:00 that was moved to 17:00 and is now cancelled). The strange thing is that when checking the booking I get to see a different booking reference. This booking reference is unknown to ANA system. So maybe there's no need for re-booking by the OTA because there's still a valid flight but ANA didn't get a notice from Eurowings?

I'm getting confused more and more...
Old Jul 26, 2018, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
OK - thank you for updating us. It seems that you have the option to ask the OTA to use the new EW flight already booked (presumably by EW) - or ask the OTA to rebook you on new flights to HND via FRA. It should be easy to reject the proposed itinerary via FRA and KIX as being too inconvenient compared to NUE-FRA-HND flights
Old Jul 30, 2018, 1:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SK AAR
OK - thank you for updating us. It seems that you have the option to ask the OTA to use the new EW flight already booked (presumably by EW) - or ask the OTA to rebook you on new flights to HND via FRA. It should be easy to reject the proposed itinerary via FRA and KIX as being too inconvenient compared to NUE-FRA-HND flights
Well, I have learned one lesson... never book again with an OTA. They are very slow. And when they respond, they are clearly not willing to help. After my hints to the other possible rebook options (to Haneda via Frankfurt), they just mail me "Hey, we offered you a rebook option, if you want us to check for other rebook options, pay this and that."
With ANA support, the issue would have been resolved in minutes, not in weeks...
strickerj likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 8:58 am

You can also just get a refund and book a new ticket, if you dont like their alternative proposals.
The fare might have become cheaper anyway
Old Aug 15, 2018, 12:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
I don't know why we have to elaborate so much about this topic.
The culprit is Eurowings.
They have cancelled the flight.
According to EC261/2004 it is now their obligation to reroute you to Japan.
Why don't you contact them?
btw: If Eurowings refuses you an acceptable reroute, you may book a new ticket and claim back this money from Eurowings.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by warakorn
btw: If Eurowings refuses you an acceptable reroute, you may book a new ticket and claim back this money from Eurowings.
Good luck with that! EW is not going to reimburse such expenses voluntarily, in particular if rerouting was offerred.
Yoshi212 and Often1 like this.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 6:01 am
Original Poster

Sorry for the late response, but the topic has finally been resolved. We got the rebooking that was offered by ANA at the very beginning. But as I told you, lesson learned as travelstart said "Hey, we offered you a rerouting (the strange iteration via Frankfurt and Osaka), if you don't like it, pay a service fee and we will ask the airline if you're requested rerouting is available." As the service fee was only 20, we swallowed the pill and now the booking is valid again with the acceptable iteration.

But fun fact, if I check the booking at Eurowings it still says there's a valid booking for 12/25 at 12:25. That booking system is really slow or stupid...
Old Aug 20, 2018, 8:25 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Critical to have pointed this out. The suggestion that one should merely claim something back is fine. Anybody may claim anything. But, whether it gets paid is another.

There is not one word in EC 261/2004 or precedential court decisions which supports the proposition that one may use self-help and be reimbursed.

There may be times when self-help makes sense, e.g., when the price has dropped or when a similar or better route may be obtained at minimal cost where the risk of not being reimbursed is not a big deal.

But, it makes me cringe to learn of people who pay vast some to purchase new tickets, fully expecting to be reimbursed and then being denied and left with an expense which they cannot afford.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Very well said.

The advice above to purchase new ticket and seek reimbursement from the carrier at fault is (to put it plainly) wrong, stupid and very risky - most likely the reimbursement will not be entertained. In the recently discussed matter with EW and a NUE-FRA-NRT itinerary there would be no basis for asking EW to reimburse when the OP this far out was offered a rerouting.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.